Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Beta Glucans
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
[/quote]
Thanks for posting nyonyakay,
I understand yeast beta glucan better now and I am glad that I didn't order something less effective (as compare to other forms of beta glucan)
Wild Cat[/quote]

Hi, I just wanted to make the point that I was not suggesting one form is better or worse than the other - I know some forum members (of other forums) can get really riled about things like that. I am not a beta glucan expert or even a chemist - I am just a garden-variety MBA!

The point was there are different types of beta glucan, they all seem to be good ingested or topically applied, but whenever a liquid form is presented over a powder form, we should be cognisant that unless the powder has been mixed with fillers and other stuff, the liquid will always have a far lower concentration of the active than the powder.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:52 am      Reply with quote
I agree that the BG are good for the skin overall. I was just curious as to the difference since I do have both types--powdered and liquid.

I just knew also that the two were different somehow since beamingcherries wouldn't have started the co-op for the liquid form in the first place which required a lot of time and effort in many people's part, when the powdered form was easily accessible.

i also think it's important to understand the difference even if both forms are beneficial, and mixing the powdered in water won't be the equivalent of the liquid form.

Panda over at SI clarified the difference in a very educational post:

Quote:
Just wanted to make a comment on powders versus liquids. I know there is some discussion as to one being stronger than the other, but I don't think that is accurate. Liquid oat beta glucan is not just powdered oat beta glucan dissolved in water. It is processed entirely differently. The beta glucan is extracted from the oat kernel so the liquid contains PURE beta glucan, whereas the powdered form still contains the oat source material. That's why powdered oat beta glucan (or yeast beta glucan) doesn't fully dissolve in water. So it would be correct to say that liquid oat beta glucan is "beta glucan - extracted from oats", and powdered oat beta glucan is "oat beta glucan".

Editted: Another thing. The additional oat material in the powdered beta glucan is another reason that it is sometimes used for thickening. This is true of yeast as well. The active matter in the powdered form of Glucare is only 85%

http://www.skininteractive.proboards28.com./index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1171903646&page=1

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:02 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I have just been reading this post with great interest, I love it when there is a rave about a new skincare product/device. Anyway, I'm in the UK like some of the posters here, and was wondering if anyone has managed to find somewhere we can get some. Also, am I right in thinking the liquid form is better ?

many thanks
Jackie x
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:12 am      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have just been reading this post with great interest, I love it when there is a rave about a new skincare product/device. Anyway, I'm in the UK like some of the posters here, and was wondering if anyone has managed to find somewhere we can get some. Also, am I right in thinking the liquid form is better ?

many thanks
Jackie x

Hi, Jackie,

Hopefully, this thread might help: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=19633

Markey from Garden of Wisdom did get some of the liquid Beta Glucans in stock for a while, I believe. So try keeping an eye out on her site. Although she's in the US, I'm sure she would be able to send some out to you. Otherwise, there is a UK supplier of the powdered version mentioned in the link I've posted.
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:57 am      Reply with quote
Hi Majorb,

thanks for your reply, I will defintely keep any eye out for the liquid,

thanks again
Jackie x
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi everyone,

many thanks
Jackie x

Hi Jackie,

Personally, I prefer the liquid to the powder form (i have the oat liquid beta glucan but the powdered reishi mushroom beta glucan). Based on panda's post, I believe the liquid is superior. I can use the liquid straight on my face as a serum (it causes irritation on some people when used in this way, so some dilute it as a serum) and also mix it in my creams without having to worry about dissolving it first. I love this stuff, I can find a use for it in basically everything. I am very happy Smile .

HTH, Kristen

p.s. Jackie, if you'd like to try a few ounces and don't want to wait for GoW to restock, PM me.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, this is my first post here although I am long time lurker here. It is a great place to be!
I just wanted to thank Nyonyakay for this link on the beta glucans, it is a really fascinating article.
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:37 am      Reply with quote
You're welcome. wave
edithsz
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Nyonyakay!
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:07 am      Reply with quote
I just want to say that I don't think we should constantly be disclaiming that we're not "experienced" DIYers.

I think DIY is fun and when we're not working with "dangerous" actives, we shouldn't have to disclaim everything we say. at least one person is going to have an allergic reaction to every product no matter how many times it's tested.

Kristen

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:00 am      Reply with quote
I used my Beta Glucans last night for the first time. I put it on my face and neck after my Tretinoin .05% cream. I usually have some irritation from the Tretinoin but not this am. I think I am going to love this stuff.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
I just want to say that I don't think we should constantly be disclaiming that we're not "experienced" DIYers.

I think DIY is fun and when we're not working with "dangerous" actives, we shouldn't have to disclaim everything we say. at least one person is going to have an allergic reaction to every product no matter how many times it's tested.

Kristen

Hi skincareaddicted, just wanted to say I appreciate your additions to DIYers. I tried your recipe of:

- 1 tbsp base cream (i used GoW's veggie base cream)

- 1 tsp liquid oat beta glucans

- 1/2 tsp pearl powder

I love the feel of it. I then took out half of it and added 1/4 tsp of phytolift from GOW. I was trying to replicate the "power" of PSF's cranberry phytolift without the cost. This turned out beautiful. I immediately felt the lift and firmness (same results) of the more expensive version. It sinks in beautifully, if not better than PSF's. Your contributions to DIYer's are great and I really appreciate them.
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:

Kristen

Hi Kristen - thanks for sharing your DIY experiences and recipes as well as your input regarding this topic - the entire thread has been very informative. I personally approach everyone's DIY recipe (no matter how much of an *expert* they are), with the attitude that this is "at my own risk" should I decide to make anything on my own. I would hope that all forum members who do not have a background in cosmetic chemistry (organic or otherwise) would approach DIY skincare with the same element of caution. I also totally understand how *disclaiming* your DIY efforts due to perceived lack of experience can feel disempowering. So why not include a cautionary note to remind people that all DIY skincare has it's risks due to 'unknown ingredient reactions'. I believe this would be helpful for those that are too gung-ho and *leap before they look*. In fact, I am actually quite surprised that this practice is not employed more. Why doesn't EVERY author of a DIY recipe include some sort of caveat before they post their concoction? As you so aptly noted, there will always be at least 'one' person who has an allergic reaction to an ingredient(s) that was successfully tested on others. And this has zip to do with level of DIY experience! Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hello dream4more,
Adding phytolift is an excellent idea! I am going to look into that for my mom next time I place a GoW order. I am still using the cream and am noticing very nice things. Never thought I would ever DIY ever. I have the azulene vegetarian base cream on order now since I am almost out of the veggie base cream.

Hi ScotsLass,
I think your idea is an excellent one. I often forget about this since I don't tend to be allergic to much of anything (just cucumbers if applied topically to my skin Confused ). Perhaps Mabsy can also add a cautionary note to the DIY thread and the recipe index as a reminder.

Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate it Smile.

Kristen

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:
I used my Beta Glucans last night for the first time. I put it on my face and neck after my Tretinoin .05% cream. I usually have some irritation from the Tretinoin but not this am. I think I am going to love this stuff.

Frodo, i also find the BGs very soothing. Since adding it to my shampoo along with jojoba, my scalp is so much less irritated too.

Kristen

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
Frodo wrote:

Frodo, i also find the BGs very soothing. Since adding it to my shampoo along with jojoba, my scalp is so much less irritated too.

Kristen

I'm hesitant to add it to anything else because using it on my face I can see it's not going to go very far.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Frodo,

I ended up buying a large quantity, so i am using it a lot more recklessly Laughing . I am sure when i get low, i will be using a dropper to dispense it instead of just straight pouring it like i do now.

Kristen

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:05 am      Reply with quote
I sent Mabsy a PM regarding adding a cautionary note to the DIY thread. She is so awesome and has done that already. Great idea ScotsLass Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:50 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:

Hi ScotsLass,
I think your idea is an excellent one. I often forget about this since I don't tend to be allergic to much of anything (just cucumbers if applied topically to my skin Confused ). Perhaps Mabsy can also add a cautionary note to the DIY thread and the recipe index as a reminder.

Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate it Smile.

Kristen

Hey Kristen! You are very welcome - DIY skincare truly is fun and yet risky at the same time as no one really knows for certain how other's will react to any given ingredient. Reading through your posts, I can tell you are passionate about your DIY projects and put a lot of thought into what you make and what you decide to share within this forum. I guess this is why it didn't seem fair to me that you were disclaiming your efforts when others who are amateurs do not (by amateur I mean a person who engages in a study or activity for pleasure rather than financial benefit or professional reasons). I'm so glad that you embraced my suggestion for attaching a *cautionary note* to recipes and extended this idea to include the DIY thread. Sometimes a little reminder can go a long way!

Looking forward to more of your own DIY contributions in the future! Smile

Warmly,
~Scots

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:53 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
I sent Mabsy a PM regarding adding a cautionary note to the DIY thread. She is so awesome and has done that already. Great idea ScotsLass Smile

WOW - Mabsy did a FAB job with the warning in the DIY thread! Thanks for sending her a PM about this Kristen!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:

Hi,

Did you use straight BG on your face after the retinoid? How much did you use?

TIA!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
mtview wrote:
Frodo wrote:

Hi,

Did you use straight BG on your face after the retinoid? How much did you use?

TIA!

I used it straight, just enough to cover the face and neck area. I didn't put it over/under my eyes because I am sure the retinoid is picked up when I smear the BG all over.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
I figured out the my face swelling was not due to the liquid BG, so now I want to start using some of this. Has anyone added MAP and/or Tetra ascorbyl to the liquid BG?
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:41 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
I figured out the my face swelling was not due to the liquid BG, so now I want to start using some of this. Has anyone added MAP and/or Tetra ascorbyl to the liquid BG?

Yes and No. I'm using emu with tetra and I mix that 50/50 in my hand with the liquid BG. Don't think you could add Tetra directly to the liquid beta glucan because it's water based.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Molly. I don't like emu, but I do have rosehip oil, maybe I can try the 50/50 thing with that. Are you using a specific amount of the liquid BG or just a few "drops"? What results are you getting with the tetra, if any, Molly? Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:13 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Intensive Eye Concentrate for Wrinkles PLUS (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut V15

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |