Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Beta Glucans
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Winnie! Even I could understand that study - my brain resists scientific discussion when it gets too involved. Smile

I also received my BGs from GOW with my order yesterday but have happily been using them for a few weeks thanks to Kristen (skincareaddicted). They are right up there on my HG list with Sea Kelp, Emu Oil, Copper Peptides, Matrixyl 3000 and TCA peels. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the link Winnie!! I had been looking for that exact study after reading an aritcle on smartskincare and you just posted a link to it!

I wonder if Beta Glucan really can penetrate the skin? Dr. Todorov of smartskincare has the following to say on this issue (the study mentioned is the one in Winnie's link).

"In a penetration experiment on isolated skin sections, the researchers found that beta-glucan penetrated the epidermis and reached the dermis by passing in the gaps between cells. After 8 hours of treatment with 0.5% beta-glucan solution, 28% of the applied beta-glucan entered the skin and as much as 4% reached the dermis (i.e. the layer where wrinkles form). Unfortunately, the validity of this experiment remains in question because the skin sections used in the experiment were frozen and the treated with gamma radiation, which may have altered their permeability."

http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/betaglucan.html
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
I am so glad the article is useful. I am so new to this DIY stuff that my head is spinning . As you use BG's please let me know how you are using them and how much liquid is being added to your creations. I ordered 8 ozs. from GOW. Smile

Thanks,
Winnie
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Winnie wrote:
I am so glad the article is useful. I am so new to this DIY stuff that my head is spinning . As you use BG's please let me know how you are using them and how much liquid is being added to your creations. I ordered 8 ozs. from GOW. Smile

Thanks,
Winnie

Winnie, I use it mixed in with Pearl Powder and also straight before my Vitamin C (it is aided by this, apparently). So, far, it's working wonderfully. I have done a few peels and have almost no flaking (still peeled but less invasive than before).

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone experienced their beta glucans turning into snot balls. Sorry, that's the best way to describe what mine is doing. The balls won't mix in with anything.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
Yes Frodo, I've got the snot balls. I just mash them together with emu or whatever and squish it into my skin.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Whoa, how is the liquid BG turning into snot balls? I ordered some 3 liters and have yet to see this happen. Can you describe to me more what you mean?

Kristen

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
Whoa, how is the liquid BG turning into snot balls? I ordered some 3 liters and have yet to see this happen. Can you describe to me more what you mean?

Kristen

I'm sitting here trying to think of a word but the only thing that comes to mind is snot. I put it in the palm of my hand and some is liquid and some is balled up. I can't get it mixed in with oil or cream. Then when I put it on my face I have this snot sitting there. Wish I had a better word. Maybe something will come up. Will think more on a better description.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
I hope the BG I am waiting anxiously will not ball up...do you ladies think its a bad patch?

Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
Wow Frodo, Weird. Mine is completely liquid. Maybe it's a bad batch maybe?

Kristen

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:

Kristen

I have had mine for awhile and was fine until about a week ago. Not sure what I am going to do. I wonder if I put it in my blender then store it in the frig or maybe cook it. Actually, I don't have clue what to do with it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
I've had mine a little over a month and it's still a "silky" clear liquid.

I think I'd be getting in contact with Markey long about now if I were you.

JMHO

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:

Kristen

Kristen,

Do you refrigerate yours? Perhaps storage has something to do with the lumpy texture.

I do need to know the proper way to store the BG.

Thanks,
Winnie
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
You know Winnie, i don't refrigerate the liquid BGs. I wonder if Frodo and Molly refrigerated theirs.

My litre bag sits on a bookshelf in a corner in my room away from sunlight and heat. the other 2 containers of BG, one is in the bathroom and the other is on my desk. they all have that silky texture Arielle describes.

I am afraid to refrigerate now even when the weather gets hot here. I know the shelf life is about 2-3 years, so i am going to stick the litre in a cool cupboard now.

I am also off to experiment with sticking an ounce in the fridge to see if the texture changes.

Kristen~

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
I've had mine a little over a month and it's still a "silky" clear liquid.

I think I'd be getting in contact with Markey long about now if I were you.

JMHO

Ari

I got mine in the group buy. Maybe it's the way I am storing it. My house is not extremly hot or cold, just a normal confortable temp. More on the cool side really. I thought I read that it didn't need to be refrigerated, or maybe that was the SKB.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Frodo,

I also got mine in the group buy also. I got 3 litres actually. I have sent some to a couple members here and had no problems pouring it into other containers, it flows nicely.

and Markey has said that the liquid BGs do not need to be refrigerated. It is still a mystery to me as why it would form snot balls.

Kristen~

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
Mine is just sitting on the bathroom vanity. I don't refrigerate the BGs or the SKB.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
I'm going to strain mine and see if that helps. Of course I will sanitize the strainer first and the container. Hope it works or at least doesn't get worse. If all else fails I will be making another order as I do love this stuff.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:21 am      Reply with quote
I haven't put mine in the fridge and it sometimes develops serious snots and then liquifies again. Mine was bought just before (looked like the last bottle by forum reports Smile) Markey ran out.
Janna
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:13 am      Reply with quote
I think I am going to start mixing a few drops of the liquid bg and CP serum together and apply to my face each morning. I figure the beta glucan will give the CPs a extra push.
Shawna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
I just got the beta glucan liquid from GoW yesterday and used it last night and this morning. Right now I am just spraying a bit of my Zenbiotic Phyto Moisturizer into my palm and adding one drop of the BG's to it. Pat together and smooth over skin.

Does one drop sound like a reasonable amount? I don't know how much I should be using on my face.

Also, are any of you the use this acne-prone? Have you had any breakouts from the BG?

Very Happy
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
Since I use my face for a lot of testing, I have a number of breakouts right now. The Oat BG is calming it down. I use my BG neat and just slather so you could probably be fine with a bit more than a drop. jmo

Ari

edit: oh, yeah, I meant to add that our great-grandmothers used oatmeal masks to clear up acne.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:
skincareaddicted wrote:

Kristen

I have had mine for awhile and was fine until about a week ago. Not sure what I am going to do. I wonder if I put it in my blender then store it in the frig or maybe cook it. Actually, I don't have clue what to do with it.

Well, I haven't a clue what is going on!
I just poured several kilos into smaller bottles
and the product is crystal clear, as in no snot.
It poured just like the first time I poured it.
How is yours today? Did you try and heat it in a hot water bath? I wonder what could change the chemical structure of just a few. I was thinking temperature although they shipped it to me and it was fine.
Please keep me posted. I told Panda I would send a sample of the first batch and one of the second batch but now that I have poured it I would feel very foolish complaining about something I don't see. Can anyone send me a bit of their product to send on to the company?
Thanks,
Markey Smile
Shawna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
I'd love to know the pH of the liquid beta glucans I got from GoW, but don't have any strips at the moment. Does anyone happen to know what it is?

Very Happy
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:09 am      Reply with quote
Markey - if the big snots come back I'll take a photo of them (one for the mantlepiece Smile) - too far to post.
System
Automatic Message
Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:07 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Institut Esthederm Derm Repair Restructuring Serum (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Hydra-Gel Eye Patches (60 patches)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |