Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Beta Glucans
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
I got mine today Razz I only ordered the smallest amount so i wont be going crazy with it yet.

For now i just scooped a teaspoon of my moisturiser into a little container and added a teaspoon of the BG. Do you think i put too much BG in? I read others are doing it 50/50 so thought it may be ok.

I just wanted to test it out first before tipping some in my whole jar of moisturiser. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
Got mine last night and used it straight right away. I found it hydrated my skin really well and quickly. Very pleased! I can't wait to mix MAP and Melatonin to it. I want to make my own C serum.
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:54 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
Hi everyone,

I got my first bottle of BG from GoW just the other day. Of course, I immediately tried it "neat" ... and was amazed. I put it on the area just below my nose and above my mouth [what is that area called anyway? Confused ] ... and after a few minutes, it felt almost numb ... the same feeling I get whenever I get that area waxed. Smile The next thing I noticed was that it felt like I had a bit of a fat lip ... but WOW!... I loved the plumping of the "scar lines" [left over from the healing of a dog bite I got a few years ago ...]

I decided that I had used a few too many drops on that area ... but I almost immediately made a Vitamin C serum with the BG ... making it .5% ... and a LOVE this stuff!

Mary

Hi Mary, do you mind sharing what kind of Vit C did you use? I am wondering if I can add the BG to my just ordered Vit C 20% from Candy.

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:24 am      Reply with quote
Hello everyone. I'm keeping track of this thread, and I keep jotting down ideas that y'all are sharing..

I just wondered if anyone has finished recipes ( insofar as a recipe is ever 'finished'..) if maybe they could be added to the Big DIY Recipe Thread so they can be accessible from the sticky that indexes recipes.

I would love to be able to look up "oat beta glucan recipes/suggestions"..
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:32 am      Reply with quote
good idea catski! Ive got no recipe sorry. I just got mine so still messing around mixing with different products. Today i mixed some with Ice Elements Antiageing serum and was pleased with the result. They mixed very well with each other.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:05 am      Reply with quote
Hi catski--i don't know if you have seen my post earlier but have a recipe for a base cream plus BG and pearl powder also posted in the DIY recipe thread:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=625

~Kristen

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:13 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
Hi catski--i don't know if you have seen my post earlier but have a recipe for a base cream plus BG and pearl powder also posted in the DIY recipe thread:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=625

~Kristen

This jogs my memory. LOL I was wondering last night what I actually bought the BG for. Ok, so now I have to go and buy the pearl powder and base cream.

I have to try to get a recipe for the C serum. I need to ask SAS on the quantity of MAP and Melatonin to mix in with the BG if Hannah won't bite my head off like last time. Once I figure it out and try it, I'll let you all know.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:25 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:

~Kristen

aaaaaaaaah, Kristen! As I typed my message out, a little voice in my head whispered to me that you were very efficient and had got there ahead of me... Very Happy Just as I was going to check, I got an assignment dumped on me, got distracted and went ahead and pressed "submit"..

Thankyou, sweetie, you are a sweetie!
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:27 am      Reply with quote
My whole container of BG has turned into snot. I can't for the life of me figure out why. So this morning I put about 2 Tbs of it in a flip top bottle and placed it in the microwave for 10 seconds. It's now void of all snot. Hope the heat isn't degrading the product. BTW, the warm BG on the face feels wonderful. I just placed an order for a new batch from GOW. Am I the only one that's having this problem? I have it stored in my bathroom with a normal house temperature range. It's in a white plastic container. Any suggestions as I'm not sure what to do with the new batch that is coming.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:35 am      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:
My whole container of BG has turned into snot. I can't for the life of me figure out why. So this morning I put about 2 Tbs of it in a flip top bottle and placed it in the microwave for 10 seconds. It's now void of all snot. Hope the heat isn't degrading the product. BTW, the warm BG on the face feels wonderful. I just placed an order for a new batch from GOW. Am I the only one that's having this problem? I have it stored in my bathroom with a normal house temperature range. It's in a white plastic container. Any suggestions as I'm not sure what to do with the new batch that is coming.

Frodo, several people have reported this problem. You might want to pm or email Markey and let her know. I think she's at a loss as to what is causing it. I'm down to the last third of an 8 oz. bottle and have NEVER experienced this. Mine is as silky and liquid as it was the day it arrived. The bottle sits on top of my bathroom vanity and I've done nothing special to it--I didn't add anything to it nor did I refrigerate it. I just pour out what I need when I want it.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:03 am      Reply with quote
I store my BG in the fridge and its pouring ok. Maybe the best way to store BG is in the fridge.
I haven't heard anything from Markey yet. Haven't receive any reply and emails from her for a while. Don't know if she is just too busy or what... Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Temperature could have something to do with it, I guess. My bathroom is never above 75F year-round. I just checked and it's 73F in there right now.

A

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:28 am      Reply with quote
I didn't get mine from GOW, mine was a group buy. I think the problem is Oregon. Rolling Eyes

When I get my order from Markey I will be placing it in the frig.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
Just ordered some from GOW.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:12 am      Reply with quote
I've decided that the liquid oat BGs clog my pores... And irritate my skin.

My skin feels itchy, irritated, and uncomfortable when I put this on, not to meantion blotchy and red... Even in very small concentrations. At first I was thrilled because it seemed to plump up my fine lines... but then realized it was due to irritation.

I'm guessing that I am just one of the rare ones who are reactive to it! I've tried a bunch of control experiments with it, in different concentrations, so I am sure it is the BGs.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:03 am      Reply with quote
sorry to hear that Avalange. I still havent gotten around to ordering mine yet, I think I'd better ask for a sample size to try out first... Wink
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:48 am      Reply with quote
I think I'm reacting to it as well ... but I'm not sure.

This is usually a bad time of year for me ... my allergies begin ... the heat in the house gets turned off ... which always makes my skin go a bit funny [although my current routine makes this transition period much less traumatic ... Very Happy ] ... so I don't know if the Oat BGs are just one more problem ... or if they are the victim of the time of year! Laughing

I stopped using the Oat BGs on my skin ... but my hair loves it ... and I generally put about 4 drops of the BGs into my palm ... rub my palms together and then distribute through my hair. It acts as a volumizer and seems to enhance the effect after using a curling iron, etc.

Well ... the other day ... the fleshy part below the thumb in the palms of both hands began to itch ... and were a bit red. I put hand cream on ... but that didn't help. I put pearl paste on the area and that did help.

Yesterday morning I did the same thing with the BGs for my hair ... and yesterday, the same areas began to itch and show redness again. Sad

You will be pleased to know that this morning I did not use the BGs in my hair ... but despite the pearl paste, those two areas are still almost "tender" feeling.

So ... while I'm reluctant to blame the BGs at this point [because of all my "challenges" at this time of year] ... it may be that I can't use the BGs either. Crying or Very sad

Conversely, I also have the Reishi mushroom BGs and haven't had any problems with them. I use them at a much lower potency ... so perhaps that's the key for me. Confused

Or is it possible to reach a "saturation point" with BG's in general?

Anyone else?

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:11 am      Reply with quote
I started using my liquid BG's about a week and a half ago. I am also suspecting that it's clogging my pores, which totally bums me out because I LOVE the way it feels on my skin.

I've been experiencing some pimples on areas that I normally don't break out and haven't been using any other new products. I have very acne prone skin and am thinking that maybe the BGs are too "occlusive".

So, for now, I've stopped using them -- maybe I'll try it one more time after I clear up.

Crying or Very sad Another one bites the dust...

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:20 am      Reply with quote
marla wrote:
I have very acne prone skin and am thinking that maybe the BGs are too "occlusive".

Are BGs supposed to be "occlusive"?
marla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:28 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
marla wrote:
I have very acne prone skin and am thinking that maybe the BGs are too "occlusive".

Are BGs supposed to be "occlusive"?

I don't know if they're supposed to be, but it's a problem that I typically have with anything that moisturizes. Most moisturizer type of products don't sink in my skin...they just kind of sit there.

MY understanding of GOWs BG is that it's just HA solution, BG and small amounts of preservatives. I do not have any problems with plain HA - so I'm assuming for now that the BG's don't agree with me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:40 am      Reply with quote
Also -- I've been using the BG's neat immediately after cleansing.

After I clear up I think what I'll do is try mixing the serum with plain HA before application. Maybe it will work better for me diluted.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:35 am      Reply with quote
marla wrote:
I started using my liquid BG's about a week and a half ago. I am also suspecting that it's clogging my pores, which totally bums me out because I LOVE the way it feels on my skin.

I've been experiencing some pimples on areas that I normally don't break out and haven't been using any other new products. I have very acne prone skin and am thinking that maybe the BGs are too "occlusive".

So, for now, I've stopped using them -- maybe I'll try it one more time after I clear up.

Marla,

I'm no expert here, but do you think your skin is purging. I know with me if I try a new product it tends to break me out, but if I stick with it, I tend to see it ends up working on my skin.
marla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:50 am      Reply with quote
skincarefreak wrote:
marla wrote:

Marla,

I'm no expert here, but do you think your skin is purging. I know with me if I try a new product it tends to break me out, but if I stick with it, I tend to see it ends up working on my skin.

Nah - I don't think it's purging. I can pretty much tell if a breakout is product related (vs. hormones, etc).

After I clear up I'm going to try mixing the BGs with plain HA and using it as a moisturizer in the PM. I do hope it works out as I think the BGs are pretty cool stuff. Crossed fingers!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:38 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone know the exact ingredients in GOW Oat Beta Glucans? I ordered some but didn't realize it would be in a HA base. (My face does not like HA). So if indeed it is HA then I'll just use it on my hair I guess.
marla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:47 am      Reply with quote
lily wrote:
Does anyone know the exact ingredients in GOW Oat Beta Glucans? I ordered some but didn't realize it would be in a HA base. (My face does not like HA). So if indeed it is HA then I'll just use it on my hair I guess.

OH NO!!! Lily -- I'm mixed up!!! Here are the ingredients listed earlier on the thread -- no HA!

The oat beta glucan purchased through the co-op and through GOW is a 1% concentration in water and contains the following preservatives: 0.26% methylparaben, 0.26% chlorphenesin in 1.48% butylene glycol and 1.48% glycerin, 0.2% potassium sorbate.

I'm so sorry about my mistake Embarassed

Marla

Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sundari Omega 3+ and Amalaki Night Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |