Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Beta Glucans
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:53 am      Reply with quote
I'm using it straight.

The eye cream I was using is an off-shoot of Katees recipe. http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=15136&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I'm currently working on another eye serum.

sigma wrote:
Candy,

how are using it?
Adding to the serums?

Also, in one of the posts you mentioned that you areusing an excellent eye cream with ALA ( I assume your own). Do you have it for sale or is there a DIY recipe?

TIA,
Lucy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:00 am      Reply with quote
Candy,

thanks for a fast reply.

I was not aware that Katee's contains ALA.
I did it (based on your recipe), but used a drop of rose oil dilluted with water instead of Rose Distillate. It is lovely and tightening, but is too dry for my eyes.

If you have any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it.

I (being impatinet and stupid) decided that it needs more DMAE, and added more to the remaining part, now it all grainy, and I have no idea how to correct it.

TIA,
Lucy.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:
I have that too....

Janna wrote:
Did you get any of Jim's kelp?

Did you ever try doing the coconut/kifer?
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:19 am      Reply with quote
Yep. Boy those lil suckers grow fast... Laughing

Janna wrote:
Candy8865 wrote:
I have that too....

Janna wrote:
Did you get any of Jim's kelp?

Did you ever try doing the coconut/kifer?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
Janna--I don't know if you know, but Garden of Wisdom now carries Jim's Kelp for $5.60 for 4 oz. I just purchased some myself yesterday.

Also, I am growing very interested in the kefir stuff too. The Skin Interactive Board has got me hooked on many things I have never heard of!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
Candy: lol, no worries, if I only had a 1/2L of the beta glucans and it is doing all that everyone is raving that it does, I'd hoarde it too! lol. I'm REALLY hoping Markey will get some to list on GOW because it sounds like I'm going to have a serious lemming very soon if I don't already, lol.

As for Jim's Kelp - I just ordered a whole litre! Very Happy It came about 3 days ago and I have already been RAVING about it to skincareaddicted. I could swear it is healing up the eczema on my arms right before my eyes - I kid you not. I've also used as a shampoo and it's made my hair incredibly lush and healthy feeling... for the face I've found using it straight might be a bit too strong for my facial skin so I've been going much more slowly when experimenting with facial use of Jim's kelp, and diluting it out quite a bit with HA serum.

Kefir-ing.... When I read all the posts on that, it makes me want to grow my own right now! lol, but I'm so overwhelmed about the info on growing and using the product, and I'm also a bit confused on exactly how to grow them and what to do with them!
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Guys,

can you elaborate on coconut/kifer?
How you do it and what do you do with it?
Also, what do you use Jim's kelp for?
It all sounds very interesting.

Especially beta glucans, I just can't figure out where to get it.

TIA,
Lucy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:

can you elaborate on coconut/kifer?
How you do it and what do you do with it?
Also, what do you use Jim's kelp for?
It all sounds very interesting.

Especially beta glucans, I just can't figure out where to get it.

Hi Lucy - I'll try to answer as best I can but I'm not all that clear on everything either.

Coconut/Kefir - people have been fermenting coconut juice and maple syrup with kefir grains (I understand they're some mixture of yeasts). How exactly to do this - I don't know. I'm totally confused myself. However, it is supposed to be absolutely wonderful for the skin, very nutritional.

Jim's Kelp is just kelp extract, you can use it however you like, like you would with skin actives' biofermented sea kelp... except that Jim's kelp is completely liquid, and absorbs like 1000X better than the SAS kelp. I've mixed it into body lotion, HA serum for the face, undiluted (on arms, my face is too sensitive to use it undiluted), into shampoo and I can't stop raving about how awesome this stuff is. You can get this stuff directly from Jim (pm me if you want the info please, I'd rather not post it for all to see - on the SI board they didn't want the info spread so I'll try to respect their wishes) though the smallest amount you can buy from him is 8oz I believe. You can also purchase this from Markey at Garden of Wisdom for $5.60 for 4oz, and trust me, this is *plenty*. She sells it under "Marine ingredients" and calls it seaweed extract.

As for beta glucans - you and me both! I'd leap at the chance to buy the liquid oat beta glucans!
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
Maiea,

thank you so much for the info.

I will definitely get Jim's kelp.

I am quite familiar with kefir, and actually tried (unsucessfully I might add) to make my own. Knowing what the real kefir tastes like what I was able to produce was suitable for garbage only. So I am very interested in that for internal consumption as well as for skin care.

If anyone has more info, please, be so kind and share.

TIA,
Lucy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Lucy,

You can find an abundant of information on kefir on the Skin Interactive Board (I discovered it recently and have been reading like crazy!):

http://skininteractive.proboards28.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1160532409

Also, they have very thorough posts on beta glucans:

http://skininteractive.proboards28.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1157189214

http://skininteractive.proboards28.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1167132925

A lot of information is scattered throughout the board, but it's definitely worth taking a look.

Also, the liquid kelp is at GoW as maiea mentioned:

http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/4040311/3823992.htm

maiea--your eczema clearing up is amazing!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks.

I will defintely try it and let you know if it comes close to the real product, that I had grown up with.

I could not find any resource yet to order Beta Glucan, just raves. If anyone knows I would be very interested.

I will keep on looking at kefir/kelp thing, that is not clear to me. Most likely growing kefir in kelp? And then applying it or using as base, or ?

TIA,
Lucy.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
I thought about mixing it in my shampoo but I just couldn't get over the color of it. Laughing Basically, I just just it straight on my face and body......when I remember. I would love to figure out some good actives to add to it.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
Lucy--I am not sure where the liquid oat beta glucan is ordered from but I know the order is a huge order and it has to be a co-op effort. I ordered reishi beta glucan in the powder form from garden of wisdom. markey also carries the yeast beta glucan too:

http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/actives.html

it sounds like you're right about the kefir kelp. my understanding is you can grow kefir in a number of mediums and if you read this link jen provided at SI, you will understand kefir much better (it is almost a complete site i think):

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

and for kefiring with seakelp:
http://skininteractive.proboards28.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1155447866

janna--I am unclear what you're mixing your shampoo with? is it the kefir or the kelp or the beta glucan?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:36 am      Reply with quote
good news! looks like Markey at GoW is stocking the oat liquid beta glucan after all if there is enough demand.

This was posted by Camellia Rose on the Skin Interactive Board on behalf of Markey:

Quote:
Hi Everyone Just wanted to give you a update that Markey has sourced this and is figuring out pricing.
She will need to sell 17 kilos at least to make this a go. It will be around the same pricing as before so will be worth it once again

http://skininteractive.proboards28.com/index.cgi?board=gardenofwisdom&action=display&thread=1166030739

If you're interested contact Jen. Yay, i might go for 2 liters??? Candy how much did you get last time?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:38 am      Reply with quote
Wow, that's amazing, do you know what the pricing will be like? I have to get some!! lol.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:16 am      Reply with quote
The coconut kefir info was very timely for me - my New Year resolution is to have a healthy smoothie for breakfast, so I have just been inspired to purchase a kefir culture.

Which led me to also purchase a kombucha culture!

Excited about trying these new things.

next up comes the beta glucan.

great thread, thankyou.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
Skincareaddicted,

thank you so much!

I was trying to figure out how and where to get it, so it is a great opportunity.

TIA,
Lucy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hi guys - looks like the beta glucans will be kind of expensive (CHEAP for the amount you get, but I can't afford to buy a whole litre for $105).

Is anyone interested in splitting an order with me? I'm looking for 1-3 people. (Preferably 3, although this stuff sounds completely amazing and I probably want to get my hands on as much as I can, I highly doubt I can afford to do so.)

BTW - I'm in Canada... so if people who want to split are also in Canada, I can organize this. If people who'd like to split are mostly from the US it would probably be cheaper for everyone involved if someone from the US organized it, although if no one wants, I'll still be happy to do so.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Whoops - sorry missed this. I got 1/2 a litre, I wasn't happy. But better than nuttin'!

My order is in for 2 kilos now. Yippee!

skincareaddicted wrote:
good news! looks like Markey at GoW is stocking the oat liquid beta glucan after all if there is enough demand.

This was posted by Camellia Rose on the Skin Interactive Board on behalf of Markey:

Quote:
Hi Everyone Just wanted to give you a update that Markey has sourced this and is figuring out pricing.
She will need to sell 17 kilos at least to make this a go. It will be around the same pricing as before so will be worth it once again

http://skininteractive.proboards28.com/index.cgi?board=gardenofwisdom&action=display&thread=1166030739

If you're interested contact Jen. Yay, i might go for 2 liters??? Candy how much did you get last time?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
Make sure you make the offer to split on the other forum too - not everyone is gonna want to shell out that kinda money - so you could probably find a partner.

ETA - it's worth every penny though & has a 2 yr shelf life.

maiea wrote:
Hi guys - looks like the beta glucans will be kind of expensive (CHEAP for the amount you get, but I can't afford to buy a whole litre for $105).

Is anyone interested in splitting an order with me? I'm looking for 1-3 people. (Preferably 3, although this stuff sounds completely amazing and I probably want to get my hands on as much as I can, I highly doubt I can afford to do so.)

BTW - I'm in Canada... so if people who want to split are also in Canada, I can organize this. If people who'd like to split are mostly from the US it would probably be cheaper for everyone involved if someone from the US organized it, although if no one wants, I'll still be happy to do so.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips Candy! I would love to get a ton of the stuff but I just can't afford to do so. I'm a poor (very recently) ex-student with an * spam alert * to skincare! lol.

BTW - I've got one person who is willing to split the beta glucans offer... any other takers? Up to 2 more people? (we can all get a 1/4 kilo each)
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
maiea wrote:
Thanks for the tips Candy! I would love to get a ton of the stuff but I just can't afford to do so. I'm a poor (very recently) ex-student with an * spam alert * to skincare! lol.

BTW - I've got one person who is willing to split the beta glucans offer... any other takers? Up to 2 more people? (we can all get a 1/4 kilo each)

I would like to but I'm in the states.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:51 am      Reply with quote
I'd like to try some too, but I'm in the UK.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:44 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
I'd like to try some too, but I'm in the UK.

I'm also intrigued, catski. I wonder whether, if there were a few of us UK people, we could arrange something? Or whether Markey would be able to help us?
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
catski--i am going to get some kefir grains soon so i can't wait to get started too! I also want to try the kombucha culture also. keep us updated on your progress please.

Lucy--you're welcome of course Smile

candy--thanks for the info on the shelf life, 2 years is quite awhile. i might buy like 3 or 4 litres.

majorb--i PMed markey so she should respond to this thread soon. she is so prompt like that Very Happy

maiea--i know what you mean by being a student....i can't wait til graduation and when i actually make money!

Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:08 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Institut Esthederm Derm Repair Restructuring Serum (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Blinc The Rare Gem Palette (1.1 g x 12)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |