Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

EmerginC Crease Ease Emulsion (50 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Hydra-Gel Eye Patches (60 patches)
Beta Glucans
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Bringing this subject up again. I just received my liquid BG. I need to know where to put this on in my routine. Right now I am using Skinceuticals CE, Ferulic, and "I feel pretty" Line Eraser in the morning. At night, I use my Suki Brightening Complex Serum. When would I use the BG? Thanks in advance.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
This stuff sounds wonderful... So much stuff to buy! Crying or Very sad
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi rileygirl--from what i remember, there is a few way to use the beta glucans. there is a recipe for a serum i posted earlier here but you can also apply the bg straight as a serum. it can also be used in creams too.

Kristen

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
Kristen, what percentage would you use in a cream?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Kristen!
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi salli,

Unlike some other ingredients, i don't think you need to worry about adding too much beta glucan to a cream or serum. Beta glucan can be used straight on the face after toning as a serum. I would just add it slowly to your cream and see how you like the texture.

And you're welcome rileygirl!

I just got mine today, so I am a happy camper!

Kristen Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Bringing this subject up again. I just received my liquid BG. I need to know where to put this on in my routine. Right now I am using Skinceuticals CE, Ferulic, and "I feel pretty" Line Eraser in the morning. At night, I use my Suki Brightening Complex Serum. When would I use the BG? Thanks in advance.

Hi rileygirl,

I just read your post again, and sorry i was in a rush earlier and didn't get to read your question completely.

I also use a lot of other serums, but I do plan on using the beta glucan in the daytime after my skinceuticals c+e ferulic serum. I will probably end up alternating the beta glucans with my daisy brightening serum and PSF berry beneficial nightly or maybe even weekly. i know some layer serums onto each other, but i am not sure if i like that idea (except when combined with a C serum). you can also add the beta glucan to a cream. I hope that helps.

Kristen Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:39 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Kristen. I used it the first time this morning. I don't know if I had a reaction to this or to some medication I am taking, but the skin on the left side of my mouth is now swollen. I washed this off and put on Benadryl cream. I am not sure if I will be able to use this or not. Now, I have to try to eliminate some stuff to see what is causing this swelling!
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:56 am      Reply with quote
Hi rileygirl,

Sorry about your reaction! I just read that another member over at SI board had the same problem. I would definitely dilute the beta glucan then. I found the recipe posted by Dev over at GoW if you would like to try it:

Quote:
Easy Peasy

2 oz distilled water, a pinch of hyaluronic acid (approx. 1/8 tsp), 1/4 tsp mushroom beta glucans, 1/4 tsp Jim's sea kelp (just because), a pinch of preservative for safety. Mix well, but briefly. Voila.

Half of this went into a 1 oz. serum bottle to use straight. Feels really good, calmed down a bit of redness within minutes.

Half of this went into a 1 oz. dropper bottle to add further actives to later.

Next time I'll add more beta glucans - I was trying to be careful of the texture on this one.

I would sub the oat beta glucan for the reishi.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/gardenofwisdom/messages/?start=Start+Reading+%3E%3E

HTH, Kristen

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:12 am      Reply with quote
Thanks a lot Kristen. I am not sure it is the liquid BG or not. I have been having lots of skin problems and I should have known better than to try something new! I will try to dilute it next time and see what happens, but I am wondering because I just have the swelling around 1 part of my lip, now all over my face and I used the BG all over. I also put the Line Eraser on after the BG in the same area, so it could be a combination of the 2. I will play around a little and see. Would hate not be able to use the BG, that was a lot of money!
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:20 am      Reply with quote
Kristen,

I don't think it will do any harm, but I don't think just substitution the oat beta glucan for the mushroom powder in Dev's recipe is a particular enlightened approach.

They aren't interchangeable in that way. You have to keep in mind that the oat beta glucan liquid we have is 1%.

This diy business is tricky. I would be VERY reluctant to propose a formulation that I hadn't researched AND used myself.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:52 am      Reply with quote
Hi Katee,

Yes, DIY can be a tricky but I think when i am using relatively safe ingredients, it's ok to tweak them. I have used all or some of the ingredients in dev's recipe individually and also in a modified serum myself without adverse reactions on myself and my mom, so I thought it would be ok to suggest.

But I do understand your concern about posting recipes, but I trust Dev enough to post her recipe on here. It is of course, only a suggestion.

I was confused about the liquid beta glucan being 1%, thanks for clearing that up. Saying that, I remember reading that the oat and mushroom BGs have different positive qualities, and can be used together for maximum benefits. I actually replaced the HA in Dev's recipe with liquid oat beta glucan and played around with different amounts in her recipe. I posted my tweaked version in the link.

salli and rileygirl--please take my suggestions carefully, I am also new to DIY.

Oh, and the link I posted to the recipe is wrong, here is the correct version:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/gardenofwisdom/messages/?start=Start+Reading+%3E%3E

A lot of my information about BG has been from the SI forum, specifically from beamingcherries, who is very knowledgeable about BG.

But Katee, thanks for the reminder, i promise i won't give advice about making any type of AHA products or any using an acid Laughing .

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Wink
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:57 am      Reply with quote
Mermaidgirl--if you really are allergic to the BG, i am sure you won't have a problem getting rid of it. Markey has just said that she completely ran out of the BGs on GoW.

I hope you're not allergic though because i think BG are such a great thing.

Kristen

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:39 am      Reply with quote
I just mixed up a fabulous cream using the oat liquid beta glucans and just had to share.

- 1 tbsp base cream (i used GoW's veggie base cream)

- 1 tsp liquid oat beta glucans

- 1/2 tsp pearl powder

I first dissolved the pearl powder in the beta glucans by mixing it and waiting for 2 minutes, then i whipped in the veggie base cream. I applied and wow, such a matte, smooth finish.

I was going to add some powdered reishi beta glucan but I don't like the smell so much so I am gonna hold off on that. I also thought about adding some camellia or unrefined virgin coconut oil but will hold off on that to see if i need more moisture since the weather is warming up.

I also added some of the liquid beta glucans into my shampoo and my hair feels fabulous. Usually I have all these flyaways even with extra oil added into my shampoo but not today. My boyfriend even said my hair was looking fabulous Smile. I love this stuff!

Kristen Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
I'm using the yeast Beta Glucan and putting it in my DIY skin nutrition lotion.

Ari

Ari,
I also ordered yeast Beta Glucan and I am hoping to make a night cream using SKBio. Do you think this mixture would work? What's in ur DIY skin nutrition lotion? Do I need to dissolve Beta Glucan in some liquid first? So many questions. I am a newbie to this DIY thing Think

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not an experienced DIYer at all. The two most successful things I've come up with are my shampoo recipe and this very simple, inelegant little lotion. It's very effective against wrinkles and inflammation, which is all I care about anyway. I got over-agressive with exfoliation and had a huge patch of itchy inflamed skin on my right cheek. That sucker just wouldn't heal for 2 weeks! 3 nights of the following and it's almost completely recovered.

3 oz. distilled water
1 heaping teaspoon Beta Glucan (this is a lot but I wanted it concentrated)
2 1000mg. capsules MSM

Grind the MSM even finer with mortar & pestle and mix with the BG. Mix this into the water. The BGs and MSM won't totally dissolve aand will settle to the bottom a bit. You'll need to shake it before applying.

I spray my face and neck with PSF O2 Serum, then apply this lotion, let dry and spray lightly again with the O2 Serum.

Ari

p.s. I also mixed a bit of the dry BGs into my Lumiere MMU. After applying, I spray with the PSF O2 Serum to set the MMU. Foundation & treatment all in one.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Ari,
I will just have to play around with the ingredients when I finally get them. So since Beta Glucan won't completely dissolve in water, the skin has no problem absorbing it? Maybe this is a silly question Embarassed
Wild Cat

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:
Thanks Ari,
I will just have to play around with the ingredients when I finally get them. So since Beta Glucan won't completely dissolve in water, the skin has no problem absorbing it? Maybe this is a silly question Embarassed
Wild Cat

Not a silly question at all. I can't explain it but, yeah, my skin absorbs it. You'd think it would just dry to a powder and sit there. But it doesn't and my skin isn't very oily. Just normal.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
Wild Cat wrote:
Thanks Ari,
Wild Cat

Not a silly question at all. I can't explain it but, yeah, my skin absorbs it. You'd think it would just dry to a powder and sit there. But it doesn't and my skin isn't very oily. Just normal.

Ari

Thanks Ari,
I worry that because SKBio tend to flake some so its great news that Beta Glucan absorbs well.
Wild Cat

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
I was wondering if I can buy the powder form and add it to some water to get the liquid form to still get the same result?
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:21 am      Reply with quote
You could try, it's terribly easy as it's soluble in water, although you may have to work it a bit to smooth out the lumps. The liquid oat beta glucan from Garden of Wisdom is only a 1% concentration.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:49 am      Reply with quote
I think there's some confusion regarding the liquid oat beta glucans and the powder form and other forms which can be reishi or yeast. The liquid form is more potent from what i have read and quite effective even if it is 1%.

I don't know the exact science or technicalities of it, but they are very different from what i gather.

Beamingcherries from SI who started this craze and has more experience with beta glucans more than anyone I have encountered on any of these forums so far has stated,

Quote:
one of the execs at the company which produces the medical grade liquid oat-beta-glucan mentioned the seisemic interest now being shown from cosmetic formulators contacting/purchasing from them. The company itself is now exploring kelp and BGs.

This liquid BG is medical grade, and as concentrated as you can come by, effective at a 1%(up to 15%) concentration in formulations, for both topical/internal use. It has had lipids and proteins removed, and is deeply penetrative.

There are distinctions in the structure of the polysaccharide chains of various BGs. Both yeast-sourced and mushroom-sourced provide the 1/3, 1/6 structure, cereal glucans(oat, barley, etc) offer the 1/3 and 1/4 structure.

Yeast-sourced beta-glucans have a greater presence of available public info about them because they've been accessible longer--which doesn't mean better. Progressive technology has now allowed for the isolation and precise" extraction" from fungi of Beta-glucans, so, now, more info is seeping out about them from the medical realm into the public sphere, about mushroom BGs profound health and skin(antiageing) benefits, cancer/aids/skingrafting/immunomodulating benefits

--And actually, what I didn't know, was that yeast-sourced beta-glucans *are not water soluble*, and require transmutive processing to make them so, which affects molecular integrity/weight, etc. My conclusion is:

Mushroom-sourced is better for inclusion w the liquidkelp--for delivery/penetration/fibroblastgrowth/antiageing, etc-- and it was a happy (clarified) moment when what what I thought was yeast-sourced from jessica, is actually mushroom. But your mileage may vary

-the liquid oat beta-glucan has a 1/4 neither the yeast, nor the mushrooms, have. It has been studied for its strikingly effective penetration deep into the dermis, and its antiageing effects.(cellular regeneration/collagensynthesis, etc). Because the beta-glucans Affect the skin from dif angles, it'd be nice to use the mushroom and the oat, for a poly-pronged approach.

and:

the manufacturer of the liquid oat BGs is the supplier to brennen medical inc. Look them up, and see the work they're doing w the BGs(skin graft treatments, etc)

http://www.skininteractive.proboards28.com./index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1157189214&page=1

I don't understand a lot of this, and plan to do more research to learn more, but i don't think you can get the powdered form to be the same as the liquid oat beta glucans Garden of Wisdom carried (Markey has long run out of her supply, even her personal stash).

Kristen

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:58 am      Reply with quote
All of the forms of beta glucan (oat (1/3,1/4), yeast, mushroom - both 1/3,1/6) are potent anti-inflammatories and may have deep penetrative capabilites into the skin.

And it appears one does not require a high concentration to achieve positive effects in skincare.

This site talks about yeast beta glucan 1/3, 1/6: http://www.immudyne.com/natures_impact_magazine.html
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
nyonyakay wrote:
All of the forms of beta glucan (oat (1/3,1/4), yeast, mushroom - both 1/3,1/6) are potent anti-inflammatories and may have deep penetrative capabilites into the skin.

And it appears one does not require a high concentration to achieve positive effects in skincare.

This site talks about yeast beta glucan 1/3, 1/6: http://www.immudyne.com/natures_impact_magazine.html

Thanks for posting nyonyakay,
I understand yeast beta glucan better now and I am glad that I didn't order something less effective (as compare to other forms of beta glucan)
Wild Cat

Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:17 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Hydra-Gel Eye Patches (60 patches) Luzern Serum Absolut V15 Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Extra Strength Daily Peel - Box of 30 (30 packettes of Step 1 & 2)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |