Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Obagi Nu Derm - please help
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ciaraki13

Sun May 21, 2017 6:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi guys, I'm a 32 year old female. Acne since age 10 has left me with scarring, large pores and post inflammatory hyperpigmentation and just gross skin really. I've started obagi nu derm around 3.5 weeks ago. I use the blender with 0.1% retin a. I'm feeling really down as my face is BRIGHT RED, tight, sore and no major peeling is happening, just lots of little flaking here and there. The colour and texture is simply awful. I haven't went out of the house for the past few days at all. I can see a lightening of my hyperpigmentation i think - it's hard to tell as the skin is so red!!!! My face looks so dreadful, wrinkly and crepe like texture. I don't know whether i should reduce the retin a and exfoderm to a few times a week instead of daily to try and decrease the redness, stinging and tight feeling on face or whether to quit altogether. I have a presentation to do tomorrow in front of 300 people and i just feek like they will be staring at the mess that is my face. I'm not normally a quitter, but the system is exacerbating all the negative and self conscious feelings i already have about my skin and i look in the mirror and want to cry. I knew to expect all these things, I just didn't realise that i'd be such a baby about it all. Is it worth persevering? Anyone who can offer any advice, I'd be so grateful.

5% products discount

Sun May 21, 2017 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi - I feel so bad for you! I've done the Obagi Nu-derm system several times and can relate to what you are going through.

First, did you buy the products from a doctor or dermo? If this is your first time on the system, you really should be consulting with a licensed professional about how often to use each step. It's probably one of the strongest (if not THE strongest) skincare line you could use.

From my personal experience, I used a much gentler strength of retin A (.025% and worked my way up to .05% over 2 years). There's no way I would ever try the .1%. I would look like a tomato!

Also, I didn't use the retin A/Blender every night. I used it every other. In addition, I used step 4 (the exfoliator) every other morning as well. I still got wonderful results (all my melasma went away - temporary).

I eventually went off of Obagi because even with this modified system, my face was still chronically red, dry and irritated. As soon as I stopped, all my melasma came back and probably 100x worse.

I would try to back off of the more harsh steps and see how your face responds.
ciaraki13

Sun May 21, 2017 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! Thanks so much for your reply. I'm in the UK so the nu derm system system isn't available here, and hydroquinone is banned. So I ordered mine on the internet. I know I shouldn't do it this way, but I feel I have no choice! I hate my skin!!! I will definitely take your advice and reduce steps 4 and 5 to a few times a week. I've also ordered retin-a 0.05% so I think I'll switch to it when it arrives to see if my face tolerates it better. In your opinion, do you think obagi was worth it? You said your melasma returned? Did you notice an improvement in texture or pores of your skin? At what stage/week in the process of the 18 weeks did your face start to look normal again? I see so many posts from ladies on the internet saying their skin was so good they didn't have to wear any makeup. I cannot see this happening to my face any time soon, it's just a red horrible mess!! I'm very grateful you have replied, thanks again

5% products discount

Sun May 21, 2017 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Everybody's skin is different so my experience might not reflect what happens to you, so please take it with a grain of salt.

I was on Obagi Nuderm for 2 years alternating between the routine I mentioned above, and a maintenance program my nurse put me on.

The first 6-8 weeks my skin was red, dry, irritated and was constantly peeling. After about 8 weeks, my skin started to look really good, still a little red and dry, but not nearly as bad as the first month or two. (It never stopped peeling. Even after two years.)

Once I went on my maintenance program my melasma came back, much darker and in places I had never had it before. So after 4 months of maintenance, I went back on the full program again. Again, my face got better and then went back on maintenance. I did this for two years. Each time I saw less and less improvement.

By the end of two years, my skin was a mess. My skin went from looking pretty good, to extremely tender, thin looking and feeling (it felt like tissue paper), my pores looked bigger and was very sensitive. I don't know if it was the constant exfoliation, or if my skin had just had enough of the retin A and hydroquinone. I had to stop. My skin was almost painful to the touch.

I went from Obagi to Skinmedica (which did nothing for me). I tried SkinCeuticals, Mybody, Paula's Choice and everything in between. My skin today looks 100x worse then before I started obagi.

I have mixed feelings about the program because on one hand, it does work, but on the other, if not used properly, I personally think it's too strong for your skin in the long run.

I'm now using Hydropeptide and just ordered The Ordinary's Alpha Arbutin. If this doesn't work, I might go on a VERY modified version of Obagi. I might try the exfoliator for dry skin 1-2x a week and Differin (a very gentle form of Retin A) and #3 a couple times a week.

All I can say is pay attention to your skin. If your skin is inflamed, you're doing too much. You'll still see results if you back off a bit. And always wear sunscreen! ALWAYS.
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2018 10:02 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I have been with Nuderm on and off for a several years. While I was using Obagi, my dark spot and freckles were disappeared. But When I got off Nuderm, my freckles and dark spots came back so I started Nuderm system again for another 12 weeks. This was a 6th times already. But as you said my skin got so sensitive and thin.
I shouldn't use that chemical anyway but it works for me for my dark spot and freckles. I don't know what to do.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Oct 18, 2024 3:30 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Omega 3+ and Amalaki Night Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Affirm Antioxidant Firming Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm HA Plumping  Serum (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |