Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross Hyaluronic Marine Oil-Free Moisture Cushion (50 ml / 1.7 floz) PSF Pure Skin Formulations Retinol Nano Lotion (30 ml / 1 floz) Swiss Line Cell Shock White Brightening Diamond Serum (2 x 20 ml)
Vitamin C contained in a softgel supplement for use on skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
erinhc

Sat May 31, 2014 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
Recently I had a facial and the esthetician told me that instead of spending a lot of money on a vitamin c serum I could use an over the counter soft gel Vitamin C supplement- simply cut open the capsule and apply the gel like vitamin C directly to my skin. I have looked online at product by Nature Made but I am not sure that I think it is a good idea. I have made C serums in the past using recipes I have found on this site. The big advantage to something like this would be one small pre-made dose at a time I suppose. Does anyone have thoughts or opinions on this matter? I would be most grateful to have some feedback. Thanks!
The specific product I was looking at was Nature Made 500mg Vitamin C Soft Gel.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 31, 2014 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Why not? that one has soy, glycerin, water, L-ascorbic acid, lecithin, beeswax and coloring. Might make your skin yellow or orange and all the glycerin might be sticky but I dont see how it could be harmful. Bear in mind this is from someone who has used bird poop, snail goo and cat spit on her face Laughing

5% products discount

Sat May 31, 2014 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
It certainly won't be harmful LOL... but I doubt it will do much good. The pH level won't be low enough to penetrate & be effective.

You are better off taking it internally to reap the benefits that come along with Vit C, then find a topical C Serum.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 31, 2014 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
What is the pH of the liquid in the gels?

Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:24 am      Reply with quote
Yep, just check the ph and it's at least 5 or higher.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:42 am      Reply with quote
erinhc wrote:
Yep, just check the ph and it's at least 5 or higher.

Confused...I thought the recommended pH for C serums is supposed to be 2.5-3? At least that is the range I check for when I make my own.
erinhc

Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:54 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I think that the ph range needs to be something like 2 or 3. I had to check to see if the ph level of the substance in the gel capsule was in that range and it turned out to be higher at least 5 if not higher. I was just looking for an easier way to get Vitamin C onto my face and using a gelcap Vitamin C was suggested for ease of use, no waste, no mixing, etc.... I suppose the person who suggested it thought Vitamin C alone was all that was needed to do the job. Clearly if the PH is important, which I think it is, then this technique will not work. Back to square 1 as they say!
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:03 am      Reply with quote
I think Neostrata is one of companies offering a vitamin c capsule. At least you know it's meant for the face.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
sakura wrote:
I think Neostrata is one of companies offering a vitamin c capsule. At least you know it's meant for the face.

Here is a link to the Neostrata vitamin individual capsules. I used these long ago.

http://neostrata.ca/products/-ingredient/vitamin-c/vitamin-c-concentrate/48/

I know the Body Shop had individual capsules around the same price point. I am not sure if still available.

I think I would rather try something I can get from EDS. PSF and Vivier are reasonably priced. I know the PSF products are effective.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Which would you recommend from EDS? I have a credit I need to use. Want to use C on nights I don't use Retin A Micro gel.
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:58 am      Reply with quote
Autumn1995 wrote:
sakura wrote:

Here is a link to the Neostrata vitamin individual capsules. I used these long ago.

http://neostrata.ca/products/-ingredient/vitamin-c/vitamin-c-concentrate/48/

I know the Body Shop had individual capsules around the same price point. I am not sure if still available.

I think I would rather try something I can get from EDS. PSF and Vivier are reasonably priced. I know the PSF products are effective.

I agree but OP might want to look at the product in person as Neostrata is sold in most pharmacies in Canada and Body Shop is international. At least there is a return policy if she reacts to it.
dantiva

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:14 am      Reply with quote
Hello, Has anyone had any results with vit c serums for anti aging? I found one that looks good but i don't wanna buy without some kind of recommendation.

Thanks. Smile
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:32 am      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
Which would you recommend from EDS? I have a credit I need to use. Want to use C on nights I don't use Retin A Micro gel.

I would look at the Vivier line.

Discussion here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/search.php?mode=results&search_keywords=Vivier&search_fields=titleonly&search_terms=all&show_results=topics

The eye formula has 5% and can be used all over the face. This would be a good introduction to C.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/vivier-serum-5-gentle-eye-p_672.htm

Pure Skin Formulations has formulas that would be nice but I don't see a vitamin C serum. I do like the eye treatments and want to try other products.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:10 am      Reply with quote
I bought the Body Shop one last year when they had a 3 for $30 sale!

I do not feel it working when I put it on my face. Don't think I've seen any result from it so will not rebuy.

The Neostrata one has always worked great for me and I try and get it on sale when it is 25% off at the store.

Once I use up the Body Shop stuff I will rebuy the Neostrata again. The Body Shop product is ok I guess, I'm just using it as a night cream.

The Body Shop has some nice products, but I always wait either for the 50% off sale or 3 for $30 as a lot of the skincare is kind of expensive.

Body Shop does not mention the % on their product. Neostrata is 10% and they also have a 20% vitamin C cream.

I bought the 20% by accident when it was on sale at the store and it is good, but too strong for me- so doubt I'll rebuy that one.
-The 20% one is good if your skin can handle that!

You can get samples if you go to Body Shop- they did give me 2 of the vitamin C capsules to try, but they were out of stock to buy the product.

Neostrata I've gotten tons of their samples from drugstores if you ask.
I haven't tried lately, as I have so many other samples, but Neostrata has a ton of new items lately and I really want to sample those..
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
I got the Body Shop one with the powder you mix with the serum. It worked great! It's supposed to be ten days supply but I only used it at night and it lasted a month. My skin was radiant and smooth. I should use it again.

I also have the Kiehls Line Strength one. It's also really good but pricey. Still cheaper than the Skinceuticals one though. It's a bit drying but I only use it alone at night.
diamond44

Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
I guess that you could do it but I am not sure that it would be helpful. I have a vitamin C serum that I use that was not very much and it lasts a long time.
barbiH
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
I totally agree with Autumn1995 regarding Vivier. The serum 5 is a great entry vitamin C serum and can be used full-face as well as around the eyes.

If your skin likes it, it would be an easy transition to the Vivier Serum 10.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:41 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Priori Minerals LCA fx110 Gentle Cleanser (180 ml / 6 fl oz) Sjal Bio-Reneratif Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Institut Esthederm Intensive Hyaluronic Mask (75 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |