Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm HA Plumping  Serum (30 ml) Priori Minerals LCA fx110 Gentle Cleanser (180 ml / 6 fl oz) Osmotics Blue Copper 5 Anti-Aging Body Lift (150 ml / 5 oz)
The Miracle Lure ( Strivectin )
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Ian S.
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
There is an article in the New York Post that the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) is suing the manufacturer of strivectin for making false claims. The supposed doctor who backed the results is actually a psychologist. Basic is the actual name of the manufacturer of strivectin. Klein Becker is just one of the many names the company markets under. Not to say that I agree with the FTC but the topic arose about that peptide in another thread about collagen synthesis and collagen absorption. The article is based on the claims that strivectin makes and how they are unfounded. The peptide in strivectin and the percentage used is what I consider to be the main problem among other things. If anyone would like to read the article I will post it. Otherwise it is in the Feb 13 edition.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
Ian please post the article.
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
Shock oh no!! Say it ain't so! Have I been a victim of the placebo effect?! Shock Ian, please do link us to this article - many thanks,
Pudoodles Embarassed
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
What a curious thing! I cannot seem to track down the aforementioned article. I did a search of the NYPost archives and came up with nothing, yet I can find several online associations to an article called "The Miracle Lure" unfortunately the links don't work....I am so curious to find out more!
Pudoodles
Ian S.
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
I have the article in the office. First thing tomorrow I will post it.

kpka wrote:

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:48 am      Reply with quote
Pudoodles don't fret.

I seem to be experiencing the placebo effect on just my left cheek and left hand (a 2 week experiment). How's that for mind over matter!

M
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:03 am      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
Pudoodles don't fret.

I seem to be experiencing the placebo effect on just my left cheek and left hand (a 2 week experiment). How's that for mind over matter!

M

Laughing Haven't really followed this but as you say not to fret, there are probably other useful ingredients in there helping your hand and cheek Smile
Ian S.
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:35 am      Reply with quote
By Monica McCollum

For 12 years, Basic Research has promised its customers miracles: Rub a gel on your belly and your fat will go away or take a pill and you'll shed the pounds.

The private company built an empire on vanity, moving an estimated $300 Million Dollars worth of products last year, including diet pill Zantrex-3 and the Nation's best selling anti-aging treatment, Strivectin-SD.

But the promises were lies the feds allege.

Basic, which operates under at least six different corporate names, publishes misleading advertising, makes false claims and uses the testimony of a "doctor" whose degree is in psychology. Experts doubt m ost of the products even work.

The federal trade commission is taking the Utah based company to court next month, hoping to force basic to change all it's packaging and advertising. It could be a devestating blow to a company that pledges eternal youth and fitness.

The Government hjas had its eye on Basic for some time. LastJune, a Congressional Subcommittee held an information hearing on weight loss products aimed at children, one of which, PediaLean, is produced by Basic.

The conclusion that I am coming to from what I have heard so far is that any scam artist who wants to get rich quick...can go to a phony laboratory, give a screwball list of ingredients that are not proven to do a darn thing, put it in a pill and make a mint," said former Rep. Jim Greenwood (R-PA) after the hearing.

Despite criticism, Basic's products continued to do brisk business, at least partly because they were marketed under a variety of different corporate names. The FTC said Basic also operates as A.G. Waterhouse, Nutrasport, BAN and Sovage Dermalogic Laboratories.

For StriVectin, the company uses the name Klein-Becker.

Launched in 2003, Strivectin made a splash with its "Better than Botox?" ads in women's magazines like Redbook, saying the $135 face cream could erase wrinkles. Today, Strivectin is the best-selling premium wrinkle fighter, according to the NPD Group, earning more than $65 million for Basic last year.

StriVectin, like most of Basic's products, includes the endorsement of Daniel B. Mowrey, the company's director of scientific affairs. The FTC charges Mowrey with impersonating a medical doctor in promotional materials, since it doesn't explain the "Dr." is for Ph.D. in experimental psychology.

If the FTC wins, "it would cover any ad that represents that he [Mowrey] is a medical doctor. It covers any diet drug, any food, any service, so it goes well beyond any challenged product," said Reilly Dolan, the FTC's assistant director for endorcement overseeing the case. Company reps deny any wrongdoing.

"This is America. We really believe in our products and we are going to defend our position. Although we are not at liberty to discuss the merits of the case, I can say that we stand behind our advertising," said Theresa Nielsen, a company spokeswoman.

Experts say that Basic has succeeded by shrewdly marketing herbs and supplements on late-night TV advertising and the Net.

The ingredients in Basic's products can be as simple as caffeine, which speeds up the metabolism and (theoretically) induces weight loss. Basic also markets a product called Relacore that contains ingredients known to reduce stress. But the company claims by reducing stress, users will stop overeating.

Dermatologists, meanwhile, maintain that there is no topical cream that can work better than Botox, a compound that is injected into facial muscles to decrease their contraction and thereby the appearance of wrinkles.

But experts are split on whether the FTC's case will hurt Basic's sales.

"StriVectin struck a chord with people who are coming into the mindset of [look young] by any means necessary," said NPD Group's skincare industry analyst Karen Grant. "They don't care if it is being investigated. They just want it."

Basic Research made an estimated $300 million last year selling "miracle" diet and cosmetic products. But the Federal Trade Commission says its spokesman, Dr. Daniel Mowrey, is not a medical doctor- and most of the promises aren't true

This is the article word for word from the New York Post article. These are not our opinions or claims.

Ian S.

Ian S. wrote:
I have the article in the office. First thing tomorrow I will post it.

kpka wrote:

5% products discount

Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
I found a related article on BusinessWeek Online discussing the FTC's investigation into Klein Becker - makers of Strivectin. It does create doubt about their products.

http://europe.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/nov2004/nf20041130_2214_db042.htm

And here's an actual FTC complaint against them. It doesn't indicate StriVectin - but it does implicate many of the company's other products making their StiVectin claims sound more dubious:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2004/06/dietsupp.htm

And here's a really old report:
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/openbsd/2003-11/0765.html

And another old one (seems like almost the same as above):
http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive/ports/0311/msg00130.html
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
Bryngirl, do you work for Janson Beckett, I was wondering why your message at the end of the mail links straight to their site. hmm
rzecka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
Cindi wrote:
Bryngirl, do you work for Janson Beckett, I was wondering why your message at the end of the mail links straight to their site. hmm

Embarassed I hope not, otherwise she might appear a tad dodgy Anxious
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:24 am      Reply with quote
so from reading that, they are critising the advertising not the products exactly?

as for taking on diet pills good luck to them, most contain caffine the ones that do have an impact get taken off the market because people use them wrong or are overly sensitive to the ingredients.
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:16 am      Reply with quote
OK, so now I've read the articles. "Big deal", I don't suspect that this kind of thing is new to any of us...Klein-Becker (or whomever) is one of umpteen number of cosmetic/ceutical companies that overzealously tout their claims...Let's face it -- I bet there are a number of people on this Forum alone who could systematically dismantle (based on claims) many different lines of skincare....
Pudoodles
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:38 am      Reply with quote
I also think that yes good advertising may influence your first purchase of a product but come on, who buys something again if it does not work for them. I certainly dont.
I personally would think that it is the people that repurchase and show good results there by encouraging friends etc to purchase as well that are the backbone of these companies and keep them in business.

5% products discount

Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
Cindi wrote:

Sorry about that. No I don't work for them - I was an early user of AlphaDerma...but I got laid off and so I couldn't afford it. Fortunately, I just found a job...so I can start buying it again.

I was just trying to help out...I read so much stuff on here I wanted to give back. A friend helped me to find the articles I thought Ian S. was talking about...so I posted them, I was just trying to help.

The link was an accident. Previously after a late lunch with a friend - I was showing her the site and saying how good it is - and she was telling me I should add a profile link - she's more technology oriented. I added that link for fun...but forgot I had it in there. I'll eventually link to a my blog page...the same friend just showed me how to create one.

Unless that's not allowed? I'm sorry, I've been away from the forum for a while. Sorry again.
rzecka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
bryngirl, thanks for posting back and quashing our suspicions! Very Happy Very Happy
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
bryngirl,
you have nothing to apologise for. I think we have been spammed so much lately we are all a bit paranoid. Don't take it personally.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
I know that I've addressed this before, but the entire tone of Ian's post really annoyed me.

There's an investigation going on - fine, let it proceed. I can't begin to tell you the number of investigations that I've been involved in that have led to absolutely nothing. The last time I checked, at least in the U.S., someone is assumed innocent until they are proven to be guilty. The fact that someone is under investigation is very, very preliminary....

I purchased StriVectin and the tube remains unused. I didn't like the way it smelled and I knew that there was just no way I was going to apply it 3 times a day, which is what the directions that accompany the product recommend. I say this because I really have absolutely no interest in defending them. On the other hand, they are a major competitor of Janson Beckett (whose products I DO use, and like, by the way), so I have to say that I don't think Ian's motivation was simply to provide all of us with information.

The ongoing investigation might conclude that the mother corporation, or Klein Becker, has exaggerated their claims in their ad campaigns. Shrugging... I can't think of any advertiser who doesn't hype their product.

An exaggerated advertisement might lead to someone buying a product ONCE - but it doesn't account for the volume of sales attached to this product. My own experience tells me that I would take the empirical results presented by somebody who uses the product over anything else. I think it's one of the reason that boards like this are so popular.

Ok. I'm done. Climbing down off my soapbox......
rzecka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
katee, you have just said exactly what was on my mind much more eloquently than I ever could! - totally agree with you Very Happy Very Happy It looks as though Ian's tone has rubbed a few people up the wrong way... Confused
System
Automatic Message
Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

PSF Pure Skin Formulations Retinol Nano Lotion (30 ml / 1 floz) Sjal Bio-Reneratif Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) EmerginC Crease Ease Emulsion (50 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |