Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross Vitamin C Lactic 15% Vitamin C Firm & Bright Serum (30 ml / 1.0 floz) Obagi ELASTIderm Eye  Cream (15 g / 0.5 oz) Jan Marini Regeneration Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Supplements for hair?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
mowgli
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:36 am      Reply with quote
I know a lot of you take supplements, and have seen some good results with hair growth/condition..

Can you all share what supplements you've taken that worked? My hair is seriously thinning and its driving me crazy, and I think a supplement is the way to go, just not sure which one to go with, so would appreciate your experiences!
Mabsy

Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:39 am      Reply with quote
I don't take any at the moment, but have a look at some of the previous discussions:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=26989
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=31691

HTH

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:56 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Mabsy!

Recommended ones from these discussions seem to be Viviscal, Biosil and Nioxin - will check these out!
Oakview
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:31 am      Reply with quote
You may also want to look into taking a supplement with biotin. It is also good for nails.
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:04 am      Reply with quote
Also, if your hair is falling due to hormonal imbalance, taking a saw palmetto capsule daily may help. It certainly helped me. It prevents testosterone from converting to DHT, which is responsible for androgenetic hair loss. Females can suffer from this too when female hormone levels wane. This is because testosterone levels are the last to fall.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:58 am      Reply with quote
Thinning hair can also be caused by hypothyroid..slowed down thyroid function..which is pretty common now-a-days.

But whether it is a function of hypothyroidism , or not, sea vegetables are extremely supportive for shiny, healthy hair.

Because sea veggies are an acquired taste..and rake some time and research to learn how to prepare themin a way you might enjoy..it's probably easier to take a sea veggie powder...(sprinkle in soups, salads, dips) or in a capsule as a supplemsnt..but you want to make sure that the sea vegetable is from pure clean waters...

so i would recommend mountainrose herbs..www.mounrainroseherbs.com...for sea veggie powders

or...the supplement i've been taking..which is an extract of sea veggies in veggie capsules...from pure waters..which is available under different brand names...but i use the brand name 'modifilan' which you can google.. and is offered through several different sites.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:25 am      Reply with quote
Thanks jasmine. I personally enjoy the taste of sea veggies and usually have a packet of dulse on hand. My hair is very shiny and I attribute it to use of dulse. Now, if it would just concentrate on not growing so fast and stay put to grow thicker, I'd be thrilled... I wish someone would develop something that expands the size of the follicles. My hair is honestly baby-fine.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
Biotin and MSM made a difference for me. When I first started I had blood work done to rule out any medical cause. The vitamins made a difference for me after a few weeks. Now my hair seems to grown faster too.
mowgli
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
Antonia - apparrently Biosil can prevent the 'miniaturisation' of hair, and lead to thicker hair shafts..

This would be good for me too, as I've always had fine hair.

As for androgenetic hair loss - is this possibly related to inherited patterns of hair loss? I am losing hair mainly at the front of my scalp, and I've noticed the same in my mum and aunts too..

In which case, taking Biosil and saw palmetto seems to be the way to go!

MSM sounds good too, but I'm afraid of possible side effects i.e. hair loss, which is the last thing I want!
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
Antonia wrote:
Thanks jasmine. I personally enjoy the taste of sea veggies and usually have a packet of dulse on hand. My hair is very shiny and I attribute it to use of dulse. Now, if it would just concentrate on not growing so fast and stay put to grow thicker, I'd be thrilled... I wish someone would develop something that expands the size of the follicles. My hair is honestly baby-fine.

Low level laser is suppose help with regrowth and thicken the diameter of the hair shaft. I just bought one for my husband and mother-in-law. I plan to sit under it as well. I have fine but thick hair and constantly get perms and color to expand the hair shaft. Friends that have gone for treatments give testimony to the hair shaft being larger and lots of new growth.
Toby

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
I just bought a new LaserMax hair laser too...Toby made me. Very Happy

http://www.thelasermax.com/index.php

You might also want to check out the thread below...I posted the many things I have tried on here. From a supplement standpoint I recommend Viviscal. From a topical standpoint I recommend Folligen for Blondes (no matter what color your hair is). However, I am hoping to drop both of those if the laser works!

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29005&highlight=viviscal

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:37 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for the useful comments!

I've put together a perfunctory list of things that have been mentioned in this and other threads, hope this helps someone. As I said before, I think I'm going to go for Biosil and Saw Palmetto. I also have lots of evening primrose and fish oil capsules that I used to take that I'll start taking again, and maybe think about MSM or Viviscal for the long term...

Increase protein intake
Saw Palmetto and Evening Primrose - Androgenic alopecia. Take a break from this every 3-6 months
Biosil - increases hair shaft diameter and reduces shedding
Shampoo - non SLS and reduce frequency
Good oils - fish, flax, olive and borage seed oil
Viviscal - take for 5 out of every 6 months
Emu oil - reactivates sleeping hair follicles
Coconut oil -strengthens hair
MSM - stops shedding and increases growth/new growth. Build dosage slowly
Biotin plus B complex
Nioxin - stops hair shedding
Copper Peptides - Folligen from skinbiology
Sea veggies - shiny, healthy hair
JM Age Intervention Hair
Laser - awaiting feedback!
Luciana
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:26 am      Reply with quote
What worked for me was a combination of tablets of biotin + iron taken orally for about 2 months. I routinely take calcium and I did not stop it during the biotin + iron treatment. Also, a shampoo with ketoconazole such as Nizoral may help, even if there is no eczema visible. Iron is recommended for women still having their menstruation, otherwise I think it can be skipped.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:33 am      Reply with quote
I take a multi-vitamin capsule daily and also eat a lot of avocado which is really good for your hair. I have shiny straihgt hair not greasy. I normally go to sauna 2x a week and steam my hair with coconut oil for minimum half hour to 45 minutes, then shampoo and rinse (with slightly cold water to stimulate the hair shaft). I think eating a lot of these Omega oils from salmon and other seafood (no fries!) will be good for your hair too. Lots of vegies and lots of fruit juices, and of course, drink lots of water!

I hope this helps. Smile

mowgli wrote:
I know a lot of you take supplements, and have seen some good results with hair growth/condition..

Can you all share what supplements you've taken that worked? My hair is seriously thinning and its driving me crazy, and I think a supplement is the way to go, just not sure which one to go with, so would appreciate your experiences!
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:51 am      Reply with quote
A bit more info...

Ionic minerals are also an incredible way to nourish yor body..including your skin and hair..they are easily assimilated since they bypass the digestive system and enter directly into your body.

Suphur (msm is an organic sulphur) is an example of an ionic mineral great for the beauty of skin/hair. I really like Mother Earth angstrom (ionic) minerals..more expensive than many...but also more concentrated. You can Google it to find sites to purchase.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
spressnell

Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
Another problem could be the hair care products you are using. There are so many uhealthy ingredients in most products on the market (artificial fragrance, dyes, mineral oil). These and other ingredients can cause irritation as well as block any good nutrients the product may contain (aloe, chamomile, etc.). I have some photos of before/after of a client that used Arbonne's shampoo, conditioner and scalp revitalizer (helps with new hair growth) and shows the new hair growth. Her hair became thicker too and didn't break off as it did before. I can email you the photos if you contact me at paintlady9@comcast.net.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
mowgli wrote:
I've put together a perfunctory list of things that have been mentioned in this and other threads, hope this helps someone.

Increase protein intake
Saw Palmetto and Evening Primrose - Androgenic alopecia. Take a break from this every 3-6 months
Biosil - increases hair shaft diameter and reduces shedding
Shampoo - non SLS and reduce frequency
Good oils - fish, flax, olive and borage seed oil
Viviscal - take for 5 out of every 6 months
Emu oil - reactivates sleeping hair follicles
Coconut oil -strengthens hair
MSM - stops shedding and increases growth/new growth. Build dosage slowly
Biotin plus B complex
Nioxin - stops hair shedding
Copper Peptides - Folligen from skinbiology
Sea veggies - shiny, healthy hair
JM Age Intervention Hair
Laser - awaiting feedback!

Just an FYI...I do NOT reccommend the copper based hair products from Skin Biology. I had a color nightmare that is still not over 6 months later. Basically the copper entered my hair follicle and then interacted with my red salon hair color...everywhere the copper touched was dyed dark muddy brown right down the middle of my scalp. And I still have remnants of it. Rolling Eyes

However, as I specified in my earlier post, I do recommend the Folligen for Blondes (no matter what color your hair) because it is a TIN peptide has will not mess up your hair color.

It may sound like a small detail, but I certainly don't want anyone else to go through the crap I have had to in order to rectify this. And I won't even address the crappy service from Skin Biology, because that will never change.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
Supplements are helpful but eating healthy is a better solution. Avocados, olive oil basically "good fats" are beneficial to skin and hair.
kdd2411
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
Based on reviews of Phyto Phytophanere Dietary Supplement - Hair & Nails many women had success with this. I bought a bottle based on reviews and am almost 1 month into it. It says you need about 2 months to see results. I have not noticed any yet, but then again it has not even been 1 month.
flyflyonly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:28 am      Reply with quote
Try the olive oil: after washing your hair, drop one or two drops olive oil into your hand, and apply it on your hair, especially the end of your hair. This method may help you.
kdd2411
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:58 am      Reply with quote
flyflyonly wrote:
Try the olive oil: after washing your hair, drop one or two drops olive oil into your hand, and apply it on your hair, especially the end of your hair. This method may help you.

If you do this make sure you was your hair with shampoo really well or else some of the oil will be left. I usually shampoo twice after doing this and it does the trick.
coryry

Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:13 am      Reply with quote
I take biotin because it also helps my nails. I have noticed my hair grows much faster when I take this supplement. I hope it will help you too.
kdd2411
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:47 am      Reply with quote
coryry wrote:
I take biotin because it also helps my nails. I have noticed my hair grows much faster when I take this supplement. I hope it will help you too.

I have tried biotin for 2 months in the past and didn't see any improvement. Maybe it depends on the person. I know that is what they recommend at GNC.
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:39 am      Reply with quote
baby wrote:
Supplements are helpful but eating healthy is a better solution. Avocados, olive oil basically "good fats" are beneficial to skin and hair.

Eating too many avocados can still cause you to gain weight, and it can cause you to start breaking out. I had to stop eating 1/2 avocado per day and let my system purge out the good oil. Now I only eat it occasionally.
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:41 am      Reply with quote
I take MSM powder and also Nature's Bounty Hair Skin Nails, 3 tablets give you 3000 mg of biotins. My hair grows very fast, but the dryness is still there. However, I just ran out of the vitamins, so that might be the cause of why the dryness came back.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Sep 14, 2024 3:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

EmerginC VitaminC + Retinol Mask (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sjal Bio-Reneratif Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Jan Marini Regeneration Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |