Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How many of you buy high end cosmetic's from Ebay??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
I'm just curious. A bit wary of ordering makeup off Ebay...how do you know that it hasn't been opened/tampered with? How do I know if it's authentic? Maybe I'm skeptical but there are sellers that are listing higher end, New in box cosmetics (mainly high end brands like Chanel, Mac, etc) for really good prices. Maybe too good, like buyer beware??

I have purchased different skin care sample packets from Ebay and never had a problem - yet with cosmetics I kind of leery.

What do you think?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
I only buy from sellers that are running a business. It also helpful to be familiar with the product. I do know (from MUA) there is a ton of fake MAC on eBay.
lilly123
5% products discount

Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
i only buy BB cream & emu oil Smile
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
Only buy high-end/brand name products from people with lots of good feedback. They should have at least 98% positive feedback (the number of feedback isn't TOO important because every seller has to start somewhere). I used to buy dermalogica products from eBay and they were just fine. My skin just didn't like dermalogica. If you really want to make sure what you're buying is authentic, call the company (the product's manufacturer) and ask them to run your batch number. If it's not on their file, then it's probably a fake.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
I also check the seller's feedback rating and view a few of the comments if I haven't bought from that particular seller before. So far, I've purchased products from Jane Iredale, Obagi, NIA24, Murad, and others and have been pleased up to this point.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
I know what you mean. When I buy anything off ebay I try to always make sure they have a good track record - although this does not always mean the product is authentic. I bought a lot of high-end brushes from ebay and how can I possibly know if they are real? The seller was highly rated, had great reviews and I like the brushes.... IDK... Price was good... So I guess I'm okay with it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I know what you mean. When I buy anything off ebay I try to always make sure they have a good track record - although this does not always mean the product is authentic. I bought a lot of high-end brushes from ebay and how can I possibly know if they are real? The seller was highly rated, had great reviews and I like the brushes.... IDK... Price was good... So I guess I'm okay with it.

Product authenticity is a huge problem with online shopping, not only with ebay. There are youtubers that purposely bought fake products off ebay to show the difference between the real products. The differences are very minimal for many of the shown products! It's super crazy how real these fake products can get!
Speaking of unauthentic products, beware of the site strawberry.net. It's an online beauty product stores that sells ("claimed") real products. Their prices are not that much cheaper from store products, however, they do give lots of discounts. The thing with this online store is that they sale MANY, MANY fake products along with real products. It's unreal!
chloes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:35 am      Reply with quote
I've bought a La Mer sample that turned out to be a fake! even though the seller had a good rating. My guess is that the buyers had not bought the product from a counter before and did not know better even after they've received and tried the sample, hence gave the seller a good rating.

With more and more reputable sites having nice discounts and free online shipping, I seldom buy my products from ebay sellers anymore. I'd rather pay a little more to get an authentic product.

* I also avoid sellers who can't answer my questions satisfactorily. You know, the kind who, when you ask about the expiry date, tells you that all her products are fresh. I also do not buy products that are not sealed. Products which have been opened and tested are definitely out of the question as hygiene and freshness have been compromised.
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:32 am      Reply with quote
I've had many great buys from ebay, I've bought a good few REN products, devita ss, obagi ss, exfoderm forte and murad from ebay with no problems, I recently bought a MAC eye shadow pallet and set of their brushes, I'd bet my last £1 the MAC products are fakes and the brush set came in a tin with a mac bag (that was fake too).

I do agree it would be more difficult to spot a fake if you are unfamiliar with the authentic goods. I try and find the feedback reviews relevant to what I want to purchase and also check out the negative and neutral feedback as that is what will warn me of possible problems that may arise.

These days you can't tell by the manufacturing batch numbers, it is not that difficult to find out genuine batch numbers and copy those too.
azwildcats7
5% products discount

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:57 am      Reply with quote
I've purchased a few for my wife. I think you just need to be careful about who you are purchasing them from. Make sure they have good reviews and good feedback.
Pluto
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:41 am      Reply with quote
I did in the past. But I won't any more, because ebay is getting bigger and I think sellers of fakes think they can get lost in the shuffle among the trustworthy. They can also engineer themselves good reviews in different ways. You do get what you pay for.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:43 am      Reply with quote
chloes wrote:
I've bought a La Mer sample that turned out to be a fake!

Choles, how did you figure out the La Mer was fake? Did it smell different than the real thing?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:21 am      Reply with quote
syndi222 wrote:

Speaking of unauthentic products, beware of the site strawberry.net. It's an online beauty product stores that sells ("claimed") real products. Their prices are not that much cheaper from store products, however, they do give lots of discounts. The thing with this online store is that they sale MANY, MANY fake products along with real products. It's unreal!

In my experience, this is not a fair depiction of strawberrynet. I've been ordering from them for years, not sure how many orders, but certainly more than 50, and never had a problem of any kind.

I do a lot of online shopping, and the only other website that I have found to deliver such consistently good service is EDS. I prefer ordering from EDS, but strawberry carries some products not available at EDS.

Perhaps others have had problems with strawberry, but I can only relate my own experience.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
I only buy from sellers that are running a business. It also helpful to be familiar with the product. I do know (from MUA) there is a ton of fake MAC on eBay.

Good tips!
I try to follow that for most purchases and have not had any issues yet!

For cosmetics I bought from someone that had a salon and was closing and he was selling a few boxes of random hair products...this was a few years ago-not problems with that.

only other cosmetics I got on ebay was from the closeout place SACS sales- but it is random drugstore stuff they have,some with damaged packaging.

I am/was very pleased with a LaCross nail set I got a few years ago. it was all sealed in the store packaging and the "problem" with it was a lot of the plastic had nail polish spilled all over it...but the items were completely sealed....
Still use those items today.

Ebay can have some good deals,but haven't checked lately as I have too much "stuff"
here.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
syndi222 wrote:
sister sweets wrote:

Product authenticity is a huge problem with online shopping, not only with ebay. There are youtubers that purposely bought fake products off ebay to show the difference between the real products. The differences are very minimal for many of the shown products! It's super crazy how real these fake products can get!

I did not know that About Strawberrynet.
I have browsed their site,but was/am always unsure about them.

For high end stuff I usually get pretty good deals at the dept store.
The store(s) I go to usually have a charity evening when you buy a ticket and get that back in credit +catered dinner,goodie bag,every counter has tons of freebies, and if the brands do not have a bonus the store staff makes them up with extra tester items Smile
I had to stop going to those things as I have too much extra stuff...if that is possible.

-even some of the drugstore chains they usually have a big drawer full of extra samples and if you buy something and ask they usually will give you something!
Daphna

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I have bought brushes, glycolic and mandelic peels, and many other things. Quality has been excellent!

However, the coastal scents 88 warm palette, was absolutely fake..there is loads of talc in it.
syndi222
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
appletini wrote:
syndi222 wrote:

In my experience, this is not a fair depiction of strawberrynet. I've been ordering from them for years, not sure how many orders, but certainly more than 50, and never had a problem of any kind.

I do a lot of online shopping, and the only other website that I have found to deliver such consistently good service is EDS. I prefer ordering from EDS, but strawberry carries some products not available at EDS.

Perhaps others have had problems with strawberry, but I can only relate my own experience.

I sometimes still purchase items from Strawberrynet but I do it knowing that it's a huge gamble. For example, I ordered 3 tweezerman tweezers from them and 2 out of the 3 were real -- you can tell the real from teh fake from the weight of the tweezer and from the 'cut' of the edge. What really put me off and made me extremely angry with Strawberrynet is when I purchased La Mer products from them. I've been a long time La Mer user (I buy my creme from the States since it's almost $50 cheaper than Canada) but one day while browsing on Strawberrynet I saw that it's cheaper to order it from them (with my membership discount) and so I did. BIG MISTAKE! Fake La Mer! The consistency is all wrong! The Strawberrynet's La Mer felt like oil. The colour of the creme was also off (slightly on the yellow side). When I called to ask for a refund for the La Mer creme, they did not question much and did not even complain when I told them I will not mail the products back and trust me, if those products were real, it would have cost A LOT of money. After this experience, I can only say that beware of where you purchase items online.
lagomorph
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:41 am      Reply with quote
I've never had a problem but I do know certain brands like Mac are much more likely to be fake. I wouldn't buy high end eyeshadow like Dior, Yves St Laurent, ect from a selller without excellent feedback either.

I've actually had great luck bidding with small sellers of high end used clothing on ebay with poor feedback. I read the feedback and it's often just people complaining about shipping times. I love cloths and hate spending money so shipping time is not that important to me.
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Ladies.

I had no idea that Strawberry net was selling fakes! I am glad I never purchased from them.

Why are there so many fake Mac products on Ebay? Do they look like fakes or just underperform?

I think I will stick to retail for cosmetics - better to be safe.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
I have many times. I always check the feedback. I usually purchase SK II cosmetics off of ebay. (cannot get here in Canada). Very Happy
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
I have purchase high end skincare products off eBay but never makeup. All the skincare products have always been exactly the same as in store products. I never purchase high end makeup because to me it is simply unnecessary. You purchase skin care products to improve your skin, you purchase makeup to cover it and emphasize your features. Allot of the high end makeup is made from companies that also have siter brands (like for example lancome owns loreal) to me the makeup is exactly the same except for the foundation color ranges (loreal always tends to be quite pale). When purchasing any kind of cosmetic through eBay make sure you do a thorough test on the seller.
cashmerelover
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
I bought both make up and skin care products online from ebay, and was always pleased both with the price and with the items received. Never had a fake.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:28 am      Reply with quote
syndi222 wrote:
sister sweets wrote:

Do you remember how long ago this happened? I remember watching a news video about strawberrynet and how they sold counterfeit products but that was almost 7 years ago I think. They might have changed their "policies" since then considering there hasn't been any further complaints about them.
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:43 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
syndi222 wrote:
sister sweets wrote:

Do you remember how long ago this happened? I remember watching a news video about strawberrynet and how they sold counterfeit products but that was almost 7 years ago I think. They might have changed their "policies" since then considering there hasn't been any further complaints about them.

I am also interested to know? They have some very well priced products? Embarassed
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:47 am      Reply with quote
I only order occasionally from strawberrynet because I'm not really into high-end products but when I have, I've always been happy with the product. Also, many of my daughter's friends order from there and I haven't heard of any complaints.

I just now did a search on "strawberrynet and fake products" and allot of hits appeared - there appear to be many people claiming that the particular product they ordered (whether shampoo, face cream, foundation whatever) was fake. Now, maybe I'm a bit naive, but I just can't imagine the logistics of manufacturing fakes of all these different products and duplicating the packaging. It could be that on occasion the products are out of date or just old stock.

I also don't have a problem ordering from Ebay.

Sat Sep 07, 2024 7:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

HydroPeptide Anti-Wrinkle Power Serum Line Lifting Transformation (30 ml / 1 oz) Sjal Bio-Reneratif Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Osmotics Blue Copper 5 Anti-Aging Body Lift (150 ml / 5 oz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |