Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What is your favorite self tanner?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
KellyAlanaW
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
I am a HUGE fan of self tanner...I use it year round, and most people don't think I tan..I think they think it is natural. I have tried all types and hardly can find one that I like a lot. However I did have a favorite which was the Banana Boat Sunless Tanner Spray that used to come in a tall, somewhat skinny dark coppery/brown colored bottle. It went on perfectly, not streaky and would make me a natural tan color, not orangey. And it made me dark enough, but not too dark. However, I think they discontinued that one because I haven't seen it sold anywhere for a few years now. The other banana boat products don't work the same.

Then oneday I was at my hair dresser's and I noticed she looked tan, and I asked her if she had been tanning or on vacation. She laughed and said nope, it was self tanner. Her tan looked real natural, so I asked her what she used and she told me it was St.Tropez, which she claims is the best self tanner. After she told me it was 30 something $$ a bottle, I said no. However I wanted to try it and so I bought some on Ebay and love it!!! It works great and it instantly tans a bit so you can see any streaks and correct them. Plus it dries very fast, which can be good, but you have to be sure to spread the tanner on right away and not let it sit on one spot. I just recently purchased my second bottle on ebay and got a large size of the spray (which I love the most) and it came with this sponge applicator that works great. I just have to make sure to wash the sponge off because if old self tanner builds up on it, the sponge doesn't work as well.

So my favorite self tanners would be St.Tropez or Banana Boat in the copper/brwn bottle (if you can even find it).

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
Agreed, St Tropez is my ALL time fav!!! Then Fake Bake.. I do wish there was one that worked as well without the color guide.. That's the only downfall from them, IMO.. I wish they wouldn't have discountinued the Banna Boat one, it worked so well!

I've been using the L'Oreal Sublime Glow daily moisturizer.. It's OK, I guess.. At least it doesn't stink like the Jergans...LOL I wanted to try it before we get to the weather that more skin is showing... I won't be buying it again tho.. I have noticed after 2-3 applications, it takes on an orangish tint..
mylovebug
5% products discount

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:14 am      Reply with quote
I had to buy the BOGOF of Dove Summer Glow, it would be wrong not too!!!

I love it!! I didn't find the smell bad at all.The colour is lovely. I just hated the Johnsons one.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:21 am      Reply with quote
Jergens is pretty fool proof although I don't like the smell. Best to appply at night otherwise you smell of self tan all day. I have just tried the Jergens for your face and it is a different consistency, it's not oily and sinks in straightaway.

A skin friendly good self tanner is by Liz Earle which is an English brand, it doesn't have the nasty smell, is a spray so not greasy and gives a nice natural glow.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:23 am      Reply with quote
Just found out that Aveno has just introduced their own lotion/self-tanner hybrid product. I believe it's called "Continuous Radiance." I'm going to see if I can find it this weekend as I'm a big fan of Aveno lotions -- they really help heal those horrid, extra-dry skin scaly patches that I get on my legs....

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 am      Reply with quote
I've really come to love self-tanners over the past year. I used to be afraid that I would look too orange or that I would have streaks or whatever, but it's actually pretty easy! I have tried quite a few in this time period, and one that I have been using for awhile now is the Neutrogena Foam. The great thing about it is the drying time, it's pretty much instantaneous. I always use my self tanners at night, and I don't want to make an hour long production out of putting on tanner and standing around naked waiting for it to dry! I use the medium/dark (even though I am super pale, the color is subtle) and it gives the most natural color of the self-tanners I've used.
At first I thought it was TOO light, but my boyfriend commented that he thought it looked like a very natural tan. My previous favorite was L'Oreal Sublime Bronze. The only downside to it was that it felt like it took FOREVER to dry! Rolling Eyes It always felt sticky, regardless of how long I waited under the fan before getting dressed.
I also use latex gloves to apply and a cheapy makeup sponge for hands and feet. Of course a bit will rub off on clothes and sheets, but it comes right out in the wash. It does have a hint of the normal self-tanner odor, but I really have not come across one that didn't. For me, the Neutrogena gives a subtle healthy glow without being obvious that I self-tanned the night before. Of course, even with my favorite, I can't resist trying something new that gets raves! (Trying to keep my wallet from jumping out of my purse!) Laughing
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:00 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Just found out that Aveno has just introduced their own lotion/self-tanner hybrid product. I believe it's called "Continuous Radiance." I'm going to see if I can find it this weekend as I'm a big fan of Aveno lotions -- they really help heal those horrid, extra-dry skin scaly patches that I get on my legs....

I saw the commercial last night and will probably go ahead and buy this too even though I just bought the HT one. Rolling Eyes Let me know what you think!
Nymue
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:08 am      Reply with quote
I just remembered that I wanted to comment on the Tan Towels. I ordered them from QVC awhile back and couldn't wait to try them. Seriously, there was NO COLOR at all. I used 2 of the larger sized ones for my whole body. Is there something I'm doing wrong here? I still have a bunch of them left and would love to make use of them rather than just having flushed the money down the toilet. Sad
Any tips from those who use them? Also, what are the smaller sized ones good for? The face? Face and hands? I got a combo pack and cannot figure out why I would need 2 sizes. Question
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:18 am      Reply with quote
self tanners are such a hassle with. The cream ones leave your hands stained Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:28 am      Reply with quote
I like the shiseidos sunscreen (spf 30)

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:43 am      Reply with quote
The "Amber Sun" is the best I have found. I actually bought their turbine unit, but you can get the same product in the aerosol. I think it is approx. $35 a can.....But well worth it.....The colour last for 7-10 days and it really is a natural golden colour.....Really looks like you have been out in the sun all day... BTW, it is a NORVELL product

Dry - Combo Skin - added Retin A to my pm skincare regime on March 20, 2015---I have used Rosehip and coconut oil-daily-for over a year and this significally reduced my scarring and evened my skin tone
BellaKai
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
My favorite self tanning products are TanTowels, St Tropez Whipped Bronze and Sexy Tan (by the makers of sexy hair products).
Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:34 am      Reply with quote
I'm with surfer. If you check out the info on sunless.com you'll never buy the commercially branded self tanners again.

I splashed out and bought my own spray tan machine ($100 on ebay) and have trialled several solutions and found one I love.

It ends up costing less than $3 a tan...and my hubby has lots of fun embarrassing me, while spraying me nekkid in the garage Shock

rebecca

5% products discount

Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:11 am      Reply with quote
I have tried many self tanners over the last 20 yrs. and I must say St. Tropez seems to offer the most natural looking tan without the lingering smell! Confused
shaznibabez
5% products discount

Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:01 am      Reply with quote
My favourite has to be St Tropez bronzing mist. I use this everyday and apply it with the bronzing mit.....no streaks, no smells just an all round even tan.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Oct 18, 2024 12:15 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Omega 3+ and Amalaki Night Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Affirm Antioxidant Firming Serum (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |