Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Devita daily spf30 vs. Epicuren zinc block spf20
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 21, 2008 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
jf wrote:
ok I have a very...uh probably obvious question to ask. The Devita and Epicurean sunscreens on this thread are considered "physical sunscreens" because its protection is based on the zinc. The other "family" of sunscreens are chemical sunscreens, right? My dematologist suggested I apply a chemical and physical sunscreen. I think I have a chemical sunscreen right now (its from mesoteric, the people that make the cosmelan 2 for melasma and hyperpigmentation). Now looking for a good physical sunscreen.

I don't understand why your dermatologist would tell you that. I think a good physical sunscreen is all you need.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 21, 2008 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
CMAYC wrote:
I've been using the Devita sunscreen for a couple weeks now and I think it's a superior product. The first time I put it on, I thought it was going to be too greasy because it's super moisturizing and my skin looked shiny initially. Then, minutes later, it sunk right it....no shine, no white cast...nothing! I special ordered it from Huckleberry's (don't know if you have those stores in your area) for about $21.

That's great! The people at the goddess retailer did respond to my inquiry about the order and they say that they've just shipped it out. So hopefully I'll get the Devita body block soon! I have high hopes Very Happy
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 28, 2008 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
YAY!

I finally got the package from the goddess within place. It took 2 weeks, so that's not so bad. I think it could have been longer if I didn't contact them about it.

Anyway I tried the Devita and I could not be happier. NO white cast AT ALL! No flakiness! None! It feels just like a moisturizer, and a nice one at that! If I hadn't read reviews of Devita saying much the same thing, I would be afraid that I got a fake. This is better than the Epicuren.

I didn't use it on my face, but I did use it on my hand. It looks like my search is over. This is HG!

However I'm not going to stop using the other products. All I did was add as much of the Devita as could fit into my sunscreen jars (I have a separate jar for the eye area). My sunscreen mixes weren't bad before, but the Devita made them significantly better. I am going to continue using the other sunscreens I have and mixing them with the Devita. (And I may even repurchase the dermalogica product to provide the tint, at least for the eye area pot)

However the Devita is the one I know I'll repurchase. I've already put the Devita (the bottle, not the sunscreen jars) in the refrigerator, along with the other sunscreens and some skin care products I'm not currently using. I'm pretty sure that keeping it in the refrigerator is best. (let me know if it's not)
jf
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 28, 2008 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
jf wrote:
ok I have a very...uh probably obvious question to ask. The Devita and Epicurean sunscreens on this thread are considered "physical sunscreens" because its protection is based on the zinc. The other "family" of sunscreens are chemical sunscreens, right? My dematologist suggested I apply a chemical and physical sunscreen. I think I have a chemical sunscreen right now (its from mesoteric, the people that make the cosmelan 2 for melasma and hyperpigmentation). Now looking for a good physical sunscreen.

I don't understand why your dermatologist would tell you that. I think a good physical sunscreen is all you need.

I'm not sure why they recommended both. Maybe to provide extra coverage just in case. I have melasma so I can get absolutely zero sun on my face or all my hard "lightening" work will go to waste.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 28, 2008 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
jf wrote:

I'm not sure why they recommended both. Maybe to provide extra coverage just in case. I have melasma so I can get absolutely zero sun on my face or all my hard "lightening" work will go to waste.

From what I understand, mixing sunscreens that have different active ingredients may not be helpful. Spf's don't add up... The only reason I could see is that many chemical sunscreens mostly block UVB and not UVA, so you would need something to block UVA. However, zinc oxide is good at blocking both UVA and UVB so if the active ingredient in the sunscreen is zinc oxide you really don't need anything else.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 28, 2008 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, I need to qualify this. This is not a review, it's way too early for me to review it, since I don't know how my skin will react to this product and you never know. This is just my first impression...

Nimue wrote:
YAY!

I finally got the package from the goddess within place. It took 2 weeks, so that's not so bad. I think it could have been longer if I didn't contact them about it.

Anyway I tried the Devita and I could not be happier. NO white cast AT ALL! No flakiness! None! It feels just like a moisturizer, and a nice one at that! If I hadn't read reviews of Devita saying much the same thing, I would be afraid that I got a fake. This is better than the Epicuren.

I didn't use it on my face, but I did use it on my hand. It looks like my search is over. This is HG!

However I'm not going to stop using the other products. All I did was add as much of the Devita as could fit into my sunscreen jars (I have a separate jar for the eye area). My sunscreen mixes weren't bad before, but the Devita made them significantly better. I am going to continue using the other sunscreens I have and mixing them with the Devita. (And I may even repurchase the dermalogica product to provide the tint, at least for the eye area pot)

However the Devita is the one I know I'll repurchase. I've already put the Devita (the bottle, not the sunscreen jars) in the refrigerator, along with the other sunscreens and some skin care products I'm not currently using. I'm pretty sure that keeping it in the refrigerator is best. (let me know if it's not)
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ladies, I'm new to EDS but have been lurking for a while and found this thread really helpful. So helpful, that I've been using Devita for about a month now and decided it was high time to join and share my experience. Oh, I'm white/pale (but not a ghost) with freckles and mild acne. Combo skin, mid-20s (is 27 mid or late?!)

In any case, I've loved the Devita. I don't think I'd wear it on the beach for 8 hours straight hours of sun (as they say, it's "cosmetic" not sport), but it's great under makeup and I've had no trouble with burning or freckling on my daily walks and activities while using it since May.

The feel has got to be the best part of this product -- it works just like a normal lotion with *no* white cast -- my biggest problem. I'm using the body sunscreen on my neck, arms, etc. too. I might eventually try it on my face, but I've been adding experimenting with lots of other new products (EDS-related problem!) and have decided not to change the sunscreen up right now.

In case you're interested, my discard pile of mineral sunscreens (now I use them on my hands, etc. or give them to the husband when he's out for his bike rides) includes Desert Essence, Dr. H (white!!), Mychelle (good, but I'm afraid it was causing minor breakouts, and I know it did for my hubbie), and Kiss my Face (body). California Baby and Jason I tried at the store, and they were far too ghostly for me. Devita it is. And Dr. H didn't break me out, so that's my go-to for hikes or the beach. Hope this helps for those still searching!
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
I'm glad you found the thread helpful! Since you didn't say, what are you currently using on your face for sunscreen?

KBLang wrote:
Hi ladies, I'm new to EDS but have been lurking for a while and found this thread really helpful. So helpful, that I've been using Devita for about a month now and decided it was high time to join and share my experience. Oh, I'm white/pale (but not a ghost) with freckles and mild acne. Combo skin, mid-20s (is 27 mid or late?!)

In any case, I've loved the Devita. I don't think I'd wear it on the beach for 8 hours straight hours of sun (as they say, it's "cosmetic" not sport), but it's great under makeup and I've had no trouble with burning or freckling on my daily walks and activities while using it since May.

The feel has got to be the best part of this product -- it works just like a normal lotion with *no* white cast -- my biggest problem. I'm using the body sunscreen on my neck, arms, etc. too. I might eventually try it on my face, but I've been adding experimenting with lots of other new products (EDS-related problem!) and have decided not to change the sunscreen up right now.

In case you're interested, my discard pile of mineral sunscreens (now I use them on my hands, etc. or give them to the husband when he's out for his bike rides) includes Desert Essence, Dr. H (white!!), Mychelle (good, but I'm afraid it was causing minor breakouts, and I know it did for my hubbie), and Kiss my Face (body). California Baby and Jason I tried at the store, and they were far too ghostly for me. Devita it is. And Dr. H didn't break me out, so that's my go-to for hikes or the beach. Hope this helps for those still searching!
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Nimue -- Thanks for the welcome! I think we actually line-up on our all-natural searches based on other threads... so I'm happy if I can help.

I am currently an all-Devita lady! I use the face-specific on my face daily and haven't had any trouble with breakouts because of it (I'm combo skin and acne-prone thanks to stress!) I put it on after my vit c serum and before my makeup (I usually give it a couple minutes to set). I use MMU and haven't had any trouble with it being overly oily or anything. And yay for no white cast! I might try using the body version on my face, but thanks to other product trials I'm in the midst of a bit of a break-out so will wait till I've figured my other factors out (and maybe wait till I'm done teaching summer session in case of another zit bout!)

I know Devita is not waterproof, so I occasionally feel concerned about it coming off during the day, but it's all I used during the last 90 degree heat wave (I'm in PA, which means that comes with humidity), and I didn't get burned even with the inevitable meltdown by mid-afternoon. I'd put up with the white cast for a day at the beach or a hike, but I've been really pleased with the Devita so far. I've looked high and low, and this seems to be the best for my current needs.

Cute testimonial: My husband is usually not too picky about the sunscreen he uses on his face (so I've been making the poor guy use up my discards! Laughing ) In any case, he asked the other day if it was OK for him to just use the Devita now because he likes it so much better! I'm surprised how well it works for our different skin types, as he has very dry skin. We're also using the body-specific Devita for everything except our faces.

Perhaps this is the best test -- I just reordered a bottle of each so we won't run out mid-July... Cool
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
I'm glad it works for you and you husband! Since you have both the Devita for the face and the body, do you see any difference between them at all? I've only tried the body one. Looking at the ingredient listings, they look reaaally similar.

What other Devita products do you use?

KBLang wrote:
Hi Nimue -- Thanks for the welcome! I think we actually line-up on our all-natural searches based on other threads... so I'm happy if I can help.

I am currently an all-Devita lady! I use the face-specific on my face daily and haven't had any trouble with breakouts because of it (I'm combo skin and acne-prone thanks to stress!) I put it on after my vit c serum and before my makeup (I usually give it a couple minutes to set). I use MMU and haven't had any trouble with it being overly oily or anything. And yay for no white cast! I might try using the body version on my face, but thanks to other product trials I'm in the midst of a bit of a break-out so will wait till I've figured my other factors out (and maybe wait till I'm done teaching summer session in case of another zit bout!)

I know Devita is not waterproof, so I occasionally feel concerned about it coming off during the day, but it's all I used during the last 90 degree heat wave (I'm in PA, which means that comes with humidity), and I didn't get burned even with the inevitable meltdown by mid-afternoon. I'd put up with the white cast for a day at the beach or a hike, but I've been really pleased with the Devita so far. I've looked high and low, and this seems to be the best for my current needs.

Cute testimonial: My husband is usually not too picky about the sunscreen he uses on his face (so I've been making the poor guy use up my discards! Laughing ) In any case, he asked the other day if it was OK for him to just use the Devita now because he likes it so much better! I'm surprised how well it works for our different skin types, as he has very dry skin. We're also using the body-specific Devita for everything except our faces.

Perhaps this is the best test -- I just reordered a bottle of each so we won't run out mid-July... Cool
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
In all honestly, I can't tell much of a difference between the two products except for my own fear! Confused I just took out both boxes, and the ingredient list is simply shorter for the facial spf (as I'm sure you know -- but I'll post them below for others). Part of it might just be marketing: The facial moisturizer is marketed as being "created specifically for those sensitive to breakouts." Since stress acne has been a problem for me in the last six months (but it hadn't been for years before that), I'm extra cautious right now about anything that might cause breakouts. The body block is marketed more towards moisturizing claiming to leave your skin "with a satin sheen," so I bet if you had drier skin this could be fine... Maybe I'll make my husband guinea pig for me one of these days.

Ok, so I put them both on my arm side by side, and you can't tell a difference rubbing them in (very same consistency). The body block seems to be just a bit more moisturizing to the touch, though, about five minutes after application (greasy isn't the word, I can just tell its there more than the facial one). The facial one seems drier to the touch.

Also, I work for a university, so I have access to med journals online, and when I was doing research I found an article in some obscure dermatology journal about micronized zinc being better than titanium dioxide in its ability to protect, be nonreactive, and appear clearer. So I'm obviously partial to Devita.

I realize I made it sound though like I only use Devita for all my skincare regimen ... Oops Shock Pardon me as I learn the ropes of EDS posting. I only use their sunscreens right now -- with six other bottles hanging out in my bathroom right now, only using one brand for sunscreen ends up feeling like a feat! Sorry this is so long, too -- I didn't realize I had so much to say about physical sunscreen!

Facial:
ngredients: ACTIVE INGREDIENT: MICRONIZED ZINC OXIDE: 14% (TRANSPARENT) INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Purified Water, Certified Organic Aloe Vera Gel, Capric/Caprylic Triglycerides (derived from Coconut Oil), Stearic Acid, Vegetable Glycerin, Hyaluronic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate (from vegetable oil), Lecithin, Vitamin E (Acetate), Allantoin, Comfrey Root Extract, Grape Seed Extract.

Body Block:
Ingredients: ACTIVE INGREDIENT: MICRONIZED ZINC OXIDE: 14% (TRANSPARENT) INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Purified Water, Certified Organic Aloe Vera Gel, Capric/Caprylic Triglycerides (derived from Coconut Oil), Stearic Acid, Vegetable Glycerin, Hyaluronic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate (from vegetable oil), Lecithin, Vitamin E (Acetate), Allantoin, Comfrey Root Extract, Grape Seed Extract.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
KBLang,

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind that the body one is a little bit more moisturizing. I would have guessed this to be the case. Oh and I also came to the conclusion that zinc oxide is the best for sunscreen reading lots of research.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
Additionally, since you have access to med. journals, it would be great to have your input into the current vitamin C discussion. (oil soluble vitamin C vs. water soluble vitamin C) The latest thread is on the skincare tools and do it yourself forum.
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:41 am      Reply with quote
do you guys know what the degree of UVA protection (ppd) devita has? It sounds awesome, but I battle hyperpigmentation and I'm afraid it wouldn't block enought UVA rays. thanks
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:25 am      Reply with quote
Honestly, ppd is not something that's regulated. Some companies just made it up, and they're the ones who test their own products. I personally believe it's marketing. Zinc oxide is basically accepted as a great broad spectrum block, blocking both UVB and UVA. The question is: is there enough zinc oxide in Devita? Devita has 14% zinc oxide, which is perfect for everyday sun exposure, but it's not that strong. Keys Solar sunscreen has (if my memory serves) 18% zinc oxide, so it's a little more.

However, there are many people who believe that european susncreens offer better protection that physical sunscreen, so it's really up to you.

Coconut wrote:
do you guys know what the degree of UVA protection (ppd) devita has? It sounds awesome, but I battle hyperpigmentation and I'm afraid it wouldn't block enought UVA rays. thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:32 am      Reply with quote
Coconut wrote:

Hi, it's around 7 based on the CIBA sunscreen simulator. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:26 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Hydra-Gel Eye Patches (60 patches) Blinc The Rare Gem Palette (1.1 g x 12)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |