Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Nighttime Nourishing Oil (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Skeyndor Global Lift, Lift Contour Elixir Face & Neck (30 ml / 1 floz) Swiss Line Cell Shock White Brightening Diamond Serum (2 x 20 ml)
Supplements to improve skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
cd33
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:26 am      Reply with quote
I'd advise people wanting to try pycnogenol to start with a low dose and work your way up gradually.

I take Natrol's pycnogenol, but I have to break open the capsule and just use about 1/3 of it (I sprinkle it in my tea) each day. I do that because a full capsule lowers my blood pressure too much.

I like the smell and taste of it, which is similar to hawthorn berry tea, which is also used for lowering blood pressure. I wish it didn't have such a strong effect on my b.p. since I like it and would like to drink it as a black tea substitute. Hawthorn berry tea might be a cheaper alternative to pycnogenol; it does contain oligomeric procyanidins, though I don't know if they are exactly the same ones as in pycnogenol.

I'm not sure if pycnogenol has helped my skin; I take it mainly for my circulation / leg veins. If it is helping the collagen in my blood vessels then it might be doing the same for my skin. Of course, good circulation is good for the skin by itself.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
cd33 wrote:
I'd advise people wanting to try pycnogenol to start with a low dose and work your way up gradually.

I take Natrol's pycnogenol, but I have to break open the capsule and just use about 1/3 of it (I sprinkle it in my tea) each day. I do that because a full capsule lowers my blood pressure too much.

I like the smell and taste of it, which is similar to hawthorn berry tea, which is also used for lowering blood pressure. I wish it didn't have such a strong effect on my b.p. since I like it and would like to drink it as a black tea substitute. Hawthorn berry tea might be a cheaper alternative to pycnogenol; it does contain oligomeric procyanidins, though I don't know if they are exactly the same ones as in pycnogenol.

I'm not sure if pycnogenol has helped my skin; I take it mainly for my circulation / leg veins. If it is helping the collagen in my blood vessels then it might be doing the same for my skin. Of course, good circulation is good for the skin by itself.

The leg veins comment grabbed my attention. I suffer from spider veins and I am willing to try anything that might help.

I do agree that clean eating makes a huge difference. I had one co-worker that ate very clean ALL the time. She had fantastic skin and she was older than me. She did not appear to be a high maintenance person as she did not wear a lot of makeup. She also had a hair style from the '80's!

Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:36 am      Reply with quote
Hi Hawkman564,

how about trying natural fruit such as these few that i know work quite well

1. Kiwi and Pomegranate: Consumption and application of Kiwi fruit helps ensure healthy, clear, beautiful skin. Kiwis are rich in pectin and fiber, which strengthen digestion. They also may prevent wrinkles and blemishes. Pomegranates are also superb for overall skin health. This red fruit is power-packed with antioxidants which fight against free radicals, control acne, and prevent wrinkles.

2. Papaya and Peach: Papaya is a natural exfoliating tonic. It leaves your skin spotless with its high vitamin A content.With moisture rich peaches, you can say goodbye to dry skin. You can happily bypass moisturizing creams if you include peaches in your diet.

3. Lemon and Berries: Consuming citrus fruits helps guarantee clear skin. If you want clear skin, choose citrus fruits such as oranges, mandarins, or the trusty old lemon! Lemons are rich in vitamin C, which is great for the skin. Berries are as packed in antioxidants as fruits. Strawberries, Cranberries, Bilberries, or Blueberries are all great for overall health. The antioxidants in these berries can work wonders for rejuvenating your skin.

4. There is another product i also tried that has work very well for me check the video here:
youtube <dot> com/watch?v=XUTmRveEa0c
you can get the product from here :
tinyurl <dot> com/skinrepair1
ngeisler
5% products discount

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
On the topic of skin nutrition, I think the goal is to build collagen. From what I understand, the supplements that best aid that are Silica (I take Bamboo), Biotin (I use Matrix 5,000), Proline (500 mg) and L-lysine (I take a lysine, vitamin C combo). I've also just started taking hydrolyzed collagen. I'm not convinced it will work (for all the reasons already stated here), but I thought it's worth a try. As I stated in another post in this thread, loving the skin effects of MSM. And nutrition is paramount - no sugar, no wheat, no dairy, lots of protein, healthy oils, and tons and tons of greens. (Easier said than done!!)
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
My nutritionist recommends taking either pycnogenol or grape seed extract (cheaper) 50 mg twice a day.
makeupforever

Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:42 am      Reply with quote
i would definitely try some Neem Leaf Pills, they are an blood cleanser and has helped me greatly
cd33
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Autumn1995 wrote:

The leg veins comment grabbed my attention. I suffer from spider veins and I am willing to try anything that might help.

For me, the pycnogenol basically just keeps them from getting worse. Aescin (horse chestnut extract) really works, but there are side effects and possible liver issues. Rutin, which I try to get from buckwheat, helps as well. I've tried a citrus bioflavinoid supplement (hesperedin, diosmin) as part of a 'vitamin C plus bioflavonoids' product but didn't notice much (maybe it wasn't a good brand). I think I noticed some improvement when I was eating a lot of wild rice (contains anthocyanins) but unfortunately wild rice like regular rice contains arsenic, so I can't eat as much as I'd like.
cd33
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:10 am      Reply with quote
I forgot, I also tried butcher's broom (contains ruscogenin) whole root powder capsules. I only took one capsule and got a headache a half hour later and so did not take any more. Perhaps I should try using less, though the instruction say to take a total of six per day. It is supposed to work by being an elastase inhibitor, which might be beneficial for the skin as well.
sharky2
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
I also take pycnogenol and use a cream with it.
I take turmeric (in a pill with olive oil to make it more bioavailable) and use turmeric with yogurt as a face mask. It is an anti-inflammatory. Be careful though it is bright yellow and can stain things.
WhiteWolf
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 02, 2015 7:40 am      Reply with quote
I'm going to try pycnogenol now too, glad I read this post. I have varicose veins and get leg pains lately (on my feet too much most days). That and trying a Rutin/Bioflavinoid mix and see if it helps lesson the aches.

I'm stopping the resveratrol stuff, didn't do much, could be just the brand.

Just started Intelligent Nutrients Intellimune Oil, which is kind of pricey and interesting stuff. The taste is not so bad and easy to take. I'm using Vital Proteins Pasture-Raised Collagen Peptides which I will definitely reorder although Great Lakes brand is much cheaper.

5% products discount

Sat May 02, 2015 9:26 am      Reply with quote
For sun protection also consider eating a small can of tomato paste with olive oil. You need the oil to absorb the lycopene. Then, try a small square of dark chocolate. These help with internal sun protection.
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 02, 2015 11:42 am      Reply with quote
Petunia wrote:
For sun protection also consider eating a small can of tomato paste with olive oil. You need the oil to absorb the lycopene. Then, try a small square of dark chocolate. These help with internal sun protection.

I used to take 5 Tblsp of tomato paste per day.
Was a little too much work so I switched to taking
20 mg lycopene capsule. I also read that the high acidic tomato can leach bad things from the lining of the can so that was a huge factor for me also.
cd33
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 02, 2015 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
I found a brand of organic tomato paste that comes in a glass jar at Earth Fare. I don't like that store (lots of 'green washing'), but I was happy with that purchase. In her book Jessica Wu writes that lycopene doesn't seem to work as well as tomato products, but that Lyc-o-mato brand extract is good for people who can't eat tomato products.
Judy Chen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 12, 2015 12:57 am      Reply with quote
cd33 wrote:

cd33, Do you see pyconogenol indeed improve leg veins? I have very visible leg veins and do not know what I can do to correct it.
MentorAmy05
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 12, 2015 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
A teaspoon of coconut oil a day...You can also cook with it instead of butter/oil. If you decide to try it, make certain that you purchase Extra Virgin Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil....Amazon has some great deals on it.

Dry - Combo Skin - added Retin A to my pm skincare regime on March 20, 2015---I have used Rosehip and coconut oil-daily-for over a year and this significally reduced my scarring and evened my skin tone
eSquire415
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 13, 2015 11:35 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone heard of Glycation?

http://www.skininc.com/skinscience/physiology/Glycation-and-the-Skin-230102271.html

The gist of the matter is that too much sugar or carbs is bad for the skin.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/10/sugar-bad-for-skin_n_4071548.html
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 13, 2015 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
eSquire415 wrote:
Has anyone heard of Glycation?

http://www.skininc.com/skinscience/physiology/Glycation-and-the-Skin-230102271.html

The gist of the matter is that too much sugar or carbs is bad for the skin.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/10/sugar-bad-for-skin_n_4071548.html

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=52761
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2015 6:48 am      Reply with quote
At a great recommendation from an EDS member I have been taking Skin Restoring Phytoceramides along with increasing my water intake for a week or so and I can already tell the difference.
I stopped all my other supplements and am doing just this one along with my liver rite to cleanse out all those toxins and give my body a break.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2015 7:33 am      Reply with quote
AnnieR,
Are you using the Skin Restoring Phytocermides from Life Extension?a

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
Petunia
5% products discount

Sat May 16, 2015 8:36 am      Reply with quote
The Life Extension Skin Restoring Phytoceramides with Lipowheat does make a difference. My skin seems softer and more moisturized.
I also take:
Fish oil
Astaxanthin
Pycnogenol
COUNTRY LIFE Maxi-Skin Collagen + C&A
MSM
Lycopene (tomato paste)
CoQ10 (Liquid Gold)
Life Extension: Berry Complete
Life Extension: Fernblock
Heliocare
Dark chocolate
Biotin
Biosil
Theracumin (curcumin) and LE super Bio-curcumin
Calcium/Magnesium
Evening primrose oil
Vitamin B supplement

I drink 2 tsp powdered green tea Matcha with lemon juice daily.

Daily Purple smoothie:
Avocado
Beets-important for skin
Strawberries, raspberries and blueberries
oranges
Tarte Cherry Juice
Ariona berries
cucumber
Kale/Spinach
Vegan Protein powder (Plant Fusion)
apple
Acai
Pomegranate juice

Additional anti-aging:
Cordyceps mushroom powder
Lion's mane mushroom powder
Maca powder

My opinion is that this regimen is working well for my skin. I am 48 and don't have a single wrinkle or freckle (note: I was practically born with freckles. I used to have weak peeling nails (genetic) and now they are so strong and never peel. I am very happy with the results! My skin is also well-hydrated and very resilient to daily application of 0.1% retin-A.

I would like to take Resveratrol but since I already take so many supplements I have to draw the line somewhere...
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 16, 2015 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Yes, that is the one! I am normally in supplement overload so I am taking a break for a bit with just those and my estradial.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 17, 2015 9:04 am      Reply with quote
Petunia, your regime is awesome. Very similar to my own! Dito on the matcha with lemon, cocoa, pycogenol, heliocare, fish oil and astaxanthin.
Sour Grapes

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Biosil, MSM and Borage oil are fantastic for skin. I have Keratosis Pilaris and I can feel major difference in my skin structure. Unfortunatly I am waaay to lazy to take my supplements regularly.
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
I have to honestly give my opinion here; after a life of working with supplements and having taken a tremendous amount over the years.

There is NO supplement that will do really anything that you will really notice. YET, if you invest in extremely high quality organic food, not Whole Foods organic, but farmers market organic, locally grown.

I found that drinking a massive array of green smoothies, raw vegan smoothies and taking only food based supplements did I REALLY notice something!

I am not a raw foodist or vegan, yet I am a vegetarian. I am in my early 40's and although I still deal with skin issues, my overall skin texture is smooth and very youthful. I have very thin and pale skin, never really worse sunscreen never mind having spent a lot of time in tropical climates. Yet, my skin is much younger than early 40's. I attribute this almost exclusively to my diet. In addition, my husband is 43 years old and has zero grey hair. We have been together for over 15 years and place our health in great priority through our diet first and foremost, eating clean food and drinking purified and mineral rich water.

Other than this, important additional supplements would be EFA products of really high quality fish oil or other vegetarian Omega 3 oil combo's.

High natural mineral products: Concentrace (trace minerals in water), Health Force - Vitamineral Green or other high quality green product

High quality raw protein: Garden of Life - Raw Protein or Health Force - Warrior Protein to make breakfast smoothies with other additional healthy ingredients
System
Automatic Message
Sat Sep 14, 2024 3:14 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross Vitamin C Lactic 15% Vitamin C Firm & Bright Serum (30 ml / 1.0 floz) Skeyndor Global Lift, Lift Contour Elixir Face & Neck (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Mask Hydrating Gel (150 g / 5.1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |