Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Omega 3+ and Amalaki Night Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Osea Essential Corrective Complex (10 ml / 0.34 floz) Pro-Derm HA Plumping  Serum (30 ml)
Has anyone tried ReAura Laser Device from Philips?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:25 am      Reply with quote
I remember reading in another thread that one reason not to use glycerin with the Reaura is not because it makes the laser ineffective, but because it traps heat, and you don't want that with laser. With STOP or RF, yes, you want heat build-up but not with laser. That was my understanding based on what I read.

Don't remember all the why's and wherefores, and have only done 4 total Reaura sessions in my life, so have no other info. Just passing that along. It occurred to me that trapping the heat of the laser could be causing some of the short term negatives in those using glycerine that I'm reading about here.

What I'm really interested in is the use of ceramides. So they're not all hype? catski, what product name and how 'spensive is it?
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:33 am      Reply with quote
Hi Yubs, not catski but I just started using Epionce medical barrier cream that Bethany recommended. So far I like it. It does have some good clinical studies behind this product line. I got it on sale at 22% off. Unfortunately it's not on sale right now. It is a lot of product though for $46 for 8 oz. Not crazy about the smell and it is a can be heavy if you put a lot on but my skin is looking more refreshed. I have been using it after my Stop treatments.

http://www.lovelyskin.com/details.asp?PID=117903&MID=489&PG=1

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
Hi Yubs, not catski but I just started using Epionce medical barrier cream that Bethany recommended. So far I like it. It does have some good clinical studies behind this product line. I got it on sale at 22% off. Unfortunately it's not on sale right now. It is a lot of product though for $46 for 8 oz. Not crazy about the smell and it is a can be heavy if you put a lot on but my skin is looking more refreshed. I have been using it after my Stop treatments.

I'm thinking of picking up a tube of this Epionce medical barrier cream, I found an 8 oz tube for $36.80 at skinbeautymall.com.
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:

Thanks, Cookie!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
Yubs wrote:
I remember reading in another thread that one reason not to use glycerin with the Reaura is not because it makes the laser ineffective, but because it traps heat, and you don't want that with laser. With STOP or RF, yes, you want heat build-up but not with laser. That was my understanding based on what I read.

Don't remember all the why's and wherefores, and have only done 4 total Reaura sessions in my life, so have no other info. Just passing that along. It occurred to me that trapping the heat of the laser could be causing some of the short term negatives in those using glycerine that I'm reading about here.

What I'm really interested in is the use of ceramides. So they're not all hype? catski, what product name and how 'spensive is it?

After a cursery search, can't find much on Glycerin and heat retention - did find this, don't know if it's useful though:
http://www.super-science-fair-projects.com/science-fair-projects-about-heat-retention.html

The ReAura Gel does contain glycerin and water:
RéAura Laser Performance Gel:
Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Glycerin, Water (Aqua, Eau), Sucrose Stearate, Sucrose Laurate, Benzyl Alcohol, Leontopodium Alpinum Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Alcohol, Hypericum Perforatum Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract

Don't know at what percentage, but it's pretty high up on the list.

I haven't found the treatment to be any more intensive with just the glycerin, but I do seem to get much better contact, therefore, the treatments are quicker.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Yubs wrote:

After a cursery search, can't find much on Glycerin and heat retention - did find this, don't know if it's useful though:
http://www.super-science-fair-projects.com/science-fair-projects-about-heat-retention.html

The ReAura Gel does contain glycerin and water:
RéAura Laser Performance Gel:
Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Glycerin, Water (Aqua, Eau), Sucrose Stearate, Sucrose Laurate, Benzyl Alcohol, Leontopodium Alpinum Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Alcohol, Hypericum Perforatum Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract

Don't know at what percentage, but it's pretty high up on the list.

I haven't found the treatment to be any more intensive with just the glycerin, but I do seem to get much better contact, therefore, the treatments are quicker.

I was gonna say, it doesn't make sense to warn against using glycerin, when the main ingredient in the reaura gel is glycerin.

I will without a doubt switch to glycerin when the gel is all used up.
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
It was Photoqueen who commented that it was not recommended for laser as it would "hold" more heat. However, I had no issues with burning, I was getting exactly the same kind of reaction when using the 2 very expensive tubes of the proprietary gel. I have only had the head clog once, and that was with the gel.

For those who are especially sensitive to the heat, maybe not a good idea. But worth trying to see for yourself if there is any difference.

Of course manufacturers want us to keep buying their products to the exclusion of anything else, just keeps their profit margin where they want it to be.
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, that all makes sense. I didn't bother looking up the ingredients, just throwing it out there.

Mis, do you use glycerin? I know you're a big fan of Reaura.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
I apply such a thin layer of gel that I have never had the head clog up - I do wash it after every treatment, but basically there's nothing to wash off as I don't seem to end up with any gel on the head at all.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies, I'm dropping back down to level 2. And speaking of Epionce, I have two tubes of it, the extra barrier one and the regular version. Love them both. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:51 am      Reply with quote
Yubs, I think it was I who originally suggested this quite some time ago. I really HATE to waste money that I could use for other things I need, so I experimented quite a bit and came up with glycerin, as it was a major ingredient in a few of the proprietary conductive gels I already had (reaura, pose). So I urge you to try it, it is very cheap and if it does not suit, you can save it for moisturising your skin (glycerin and rosewater is lovely!)
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:40 am      Reply with quote
mismis wrote:
Yubs, I think it was I who originally suggested this quite some time ago. I really HATE to waste money that I could use for other things I need, so I experimented quite a bit and came up with glycerin, as it was a major ingredient in a few of the proprietary conductive gels I already had (reaura, pose). So I urge you to try it, it is very cheap and if it does not suit, you can save it for moisturising your skin (glycerin and rosewater is lovely!)

And thank you so much for experimenting and suggesting it. Glycerin is WAY cheaper than a $60.00 bottle of (practically) glycerin gel.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Since I can't find anyone with a Visia machine near me anymore, I went ahead and started back up with my ReAura treatments.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
Completed my 5th treatment! My skin looks great, even 8 hours (overnight) later. The "after redness" from the treatment get's less and less each time.

My freckles are lightening, and a few small areas of pigmentation are also getting lighter. My forehead lines seem to smoothing out a bit as well.

I'm not even 1/3rd of the way through my 8 week session and I'm so happy to already see results.

I got my CeraVe combo pack in the mail. Last night, I applied CeraVe PM over the aftercare complex. The CeraVe PM is actually very soothing and silky feeling, so I'm sticking with the CeraVe and might even use it alone when the aftercare is empty. I was also thrilled to find while searching online, that CeraVe is one of the recommended lotions to apply to your face after laser resurfacing.

I think I post here after every treatment because it helps me keep track of when I do them, otherwise I'd probably forget how many treatments I've done!

Cant say it enough! I'm thrilled I have this device. I don't even think about "magic" serums or creams anymore.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
EC - I'm jealous!

I really didn't see any improvement on my face after 4 weeks, but did see some on my hands and arms. I may end up using it everywhere but my face if it turns out that my melasma is not responding or is getting worse. This time I am using pigmentation inhibitors though, so hopefully that may help.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
EC - I'm jealous!

I really didn't see any improvement on my face after 4 weeks, but did see some on my hands and arms. I may end up using it everywhere but my face if it turns out that my melasma is not responding or is getting worse. This time I am using pigmentation inhibitors though, so hopefully that may help.

Well the results are subtle, but they're enough to let me know it's doing something.

I'm Irish/German mostly, so my skin is sort of fair but can also tan. But some pigmentation that I have on my lower cheeks is definitely fading.
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany, perhaps your face is not showing a lot of changes because it has already been quite improved by your other treatments. I know that my face showed less improvement than other areas treated like my arms or chest, and I think that is because those other areas had never received the professional treatments that my face had.

You are right to be cautious with the melasma issue, a friend of mine used the Tria on hers and made it worse. I am interested to see if your pigment inhibitors do the trick and will look for your report.
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
mismis wrote:
Bethany, perhaps your face is not showing a lot of changes because it has already been quite improved by your other treatments. I know that my face showed less improvement than other areas treated like my arms or chest, and I think that is because those other areas had never received the professional treatments that my face had.

You are right to be cautious with the melasma issue, a friend of mine used the Tria on hers and made it worse. I am interested to see if your pigment inhibitors do the trick and will look for your report.

mismis, you seem very informed on this product. I'm intrigued by it, but I can't understand how all that repeated heat isn't just way way drying to the skin. I've had IPL before and I know that it takes several days after a treatment to recover. I'm concerned that six or eight weeks of repeated treatments would leave my skin like leather. Help me to understand how that doesn't happen.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
Mis, do you know long she used it before things got worse? Melasma may not respond well to heat, so I am definitely concerned as to whether or not I should even continue.

Thanks!

mismis wrote:

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
Panda1 wrote:
I'm concerned that six or eight weeks of repeated treatments would leave my skin like leather. Help me to understand how that doesn't happen.

That is part of the reason I am only doing 4 weeks at a time, plus using barrier repair products the entire time.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Panda1 wrote:
I'm concerned that six or eight weeks of repeated treatments would leave my skin like leather. Help me to understand how that doesn't happen.

That is part of the reason I am only doing 4 weeks at a time, plus using barrier repair products the entire time.

Even four weeks seems like a lot. I'm not criticizing!!! Just trying to grasp how this works. I can kind of understand with younger skin, but I have worked so hard to get the hydration back and I'm scared to mess it up.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
Panda1 wrote:
bethany wrote:
Panda1 wrote:

Even four weeks seems like a lot. I'm not criticizing!!! Just trying to grasp how this works. I can kind of understand with younger skin, but I have worked so hard to get the hydration back and I'm scared to mess it up.

My arms looked horrid for a very long time after 4 weeks (8 treatments) of ReAura, and didn't start looking better until I started focusing on barrier repair. If you use enough of the right products all the way through (and continue with your Lifeline), you would probably have no issues.

But I'll let you know if my theory holds in 3 more weeks, lol.

5% products discount

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:01 am      Reply with quote
Just weighing in on the pigmentation, long term use of Reaura issue. I finished the first 8 week session and am now having a break, though I did a one off 'top up' last week. I don't have melasma Bethany, but I did have concerns about pigmentation getting worse, both on my face and on my hands/arms. I stuck with it because the balance of opinion seemed to be that this was normal. I am pleased to report that hands and arms have started to look great (relatively!) my arms in particular look clear and smooth.. Pretty good considering I'm 60. I've compared photos I took at the beginning of my face and that too is loads clearer. The pigment I was worried about has faded to not noticeable. There is less improvement in lines and sagging, but that could be stress at the moment.
Dryness is definitely not an issue panda. Quite the opposite. The Reaura seems to stimulate the skin to produce a better balance of natural oils. There is of course some dryness during the treatment. That is the old skin 'sloughing' off. When that's gone the new skin feels amazing .. A bit like it did when I was much younger. I think that is the best bit about using this thing. I'm being very wary of any sun exposure hence having a break as I'm going to be in south of France next week. However, the one top up I did was worth doing as it seemed suddenly to clear a few more stubborn marks. I'm looking forward to doing next treatment round. The one drawback I find is that it is not a quick fix. You need to persevere and commit to the time. Especially if you decide to treat 2/3 areas at once! Apologies for the length of this post. I've been following you all but haven't had time to respond.
Idealist
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:16 am      Reply with quote
I am excited to start treating too, but also have some pigmentation issues. I am not really sure if it is melasma or plain old sundamage. My electric dermastamp sessions have actually had a good result (unless it is just my skin care over time). However my forehead patches look better. On my cheeks I have what looks like bigger freckles (except just a tone or two lighter than my skin) as well as some lighter spots. I assume this is sun-damage from my mis-spent youth. Does anyone know if it is recommended that I use some kind of melanin inhibiting product before starting?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
Idealist wrote:
I am excited to start treating too, but also have some pigmentation issues. I am not really sure if it is melasma or plain old sundamage. My electric dermastamp sessions have actually had a good result (unless it is just my skin care over time). However my forehead patches look better. On my cheeks I have what looks like bigger freckles (except just a tone or two lighter than my skin) as well as some lighter spots. I assume this is sun-damage from my mis-spent youth. Does anyone know if it is recommended that I use some kind of melanin inhibiting product before starting?

If there is any symmetry to the spots across the 2 sides of your face (a melasma indicator) it is definitely safer to proceed with an inhibitor for at least a month before starting. You also want to continue through the treatment period, and for a few months afterwards.

FYI that I also confirmed this in the Dr. Thornfeldt book I was reading today. But he does not recommend any devices with heat for melisma, as it can make it worse. Of course I read that AFTER I bought the ReAura, sigh.

Thu Oct 17, 2024 6:49 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Bio-Reneratif Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Jan Marini Regeneration Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Swiss Line Cell Shock White Brightening Diamond Serum (2 x 20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |