Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Alternative to AHAs for chemical exfoliation?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
demi001
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:39 am      Reply with quote
Both lactic acid and glycolic acid break me out terribly and I was wondering if there was an alternative way to chemically exfoliate the skin? I keep hearing how exfoliation is imperative and that AHAs are wonderful for blemishes and scars and skin tone and fine lines and I'm so frustrated that my skin cannot tolerate them. I have tried the following products (not at the same time of course) with catastropic results:

-Liquid Gold by Alpha H
-Liquid Gold Intensive Night Repair Serum by Alpha H
-LacSal serum by Skin Biology
-AHA+BHA face wash by Hadalabo

I've found some exfoliators containing enzymes from fruits like papaya, does anyone know if they are they any good? Has anyone experienced trouble with AHAs as well, and is there a good alternative to them? I have very sensitive skin plus inflammatory rosacea and mechanical exfoliation leaves my face resembling a pizza so it's not a viable option.

I'm sorry to sound so distraught but AHAs sound so miraculous and I guess I'm just sad I can't use them. Any suggestions and advice from you wonderfull people would be greatly appreciated!
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:26 am      Reply with quote
I feel your pain, my skin doesn't agree with lactic acid either. Glycolic is fine, though. Enzymes do work nicely to eat away skin cells, but in my experience, the enzyme peel stuff that comes ready-made isn't as nice as getting some bromelain food supplement and simply mixing them with water. Some DIY suppliers have the powder as well. The only thing to look after is the GDU (gelatin digestion units) which tells you how strong the stuff is, the higher the less is needed. 100 GDU stuff mixed 50:50 with water wasn't even strong enough for gentle daily exfoliation. Embarassed 1000-1500 GDU bromelain works best for my skin. Cool thing: bromelain works at skin's physiological pH, so there is no need for neutralization and other hassles.
Papain hasn't worked out for me so far, and it's a bit harder to source for this purpose.
Zero comment on pumpkin enzymes and such, as they are combined with AHAs, mostly with lactic acid which my skin doesn't tolerate.
Have you ever tried salicylic acid alone? I find that my skin tolerates that one best of all the available AHAs/BHA kinds.
Poly hydroxy acids (PHA) might be worth a look as well, they are less irritating to skin. Neostrata makes lots of PHA products with lactobionic acid or gluconolactone or both.
demi001
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:14 am      Reply with quote
Oh, thank you so much for that comprehensive reply on enzyme peels and how to DIY them! It sounds easy, if I can find bromelain, I'll give it a go.

I haven't heard about PHAs before, but at your suggestion, I did a quick search. As you mentioned, I also read that they are gentler than AHAs, so they're definitely worth looking into.

As for salicylic acid, I've tried it alone and though it doesn't break me out, it really irritates my skin Sad

I wonder whether I'll have the same bad results with Mandelic acid - there is this product I really want to try out, the M2 skin refinish, but I'm hesitant...

Anyway, thank you again for your reply!
Abbey2
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:46 am      Reply with quote
I love Earthen Instant Peel. It's citric acid and very gentle. It's $50 for 6 packets but you can get two uses out of a packet. I wait for Askderm's 30% off sale and buy two boxes and get free shipping.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
How odd. I've never heard of someone actually breaking out from ahas. I thought the main concern was just irritation from the low ph.

I'm glad there are other alternatives, though. Everyone's skin is different. I've been thinking about experimenting with enzymes for awhile but I heard they were unstable. I guess freshness is the key. Just like with C.
demi001
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:47 am      Reply with quote
Abbey2 wrote:
I love Earthen Instant Peel. It's citric acid and very gentle. It's $50 for 6 packets but you can get two uses out of a packet. I wait for Askderm's 30% off sale and buy two boxes and get free shipping.

Thank you so much for your suggestion! ^_^ I'll check it out, the price is good too!
demi001
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:53 am      Reply with quote
Chlorophyll wrote:
How odd. I've never heard of someone actually breaking out from ahas. I thought the main concern was just irritation from the low ph.

I'm glad there are other alternatives, though. Everyone's skin is different. I've been thinking about experimenting with enzymes for awhile but I heard they were unstable. I guess freshness is the key. Just like with C.

Yes, it's a never-ending source of frustration for me, that AHAs break me out but alas, it can't be helped. But thankfully, as you said, there are alternatives.

The commercial enzyme peels that I've found so far are the DermaQuest Daily enzyme clenaser and the Elemis Papaya enzyme peel.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe start looking at your diet first.
Breakouts sometimes are caused by poor diet.
Then, look at alternative on AHA's... Make sure that your skin heals first before trying a new AHA's... I wuold suggest a mild exfoliation first since you have blemishes, scars and fine lines/wrinkles.... then, when you skin can tolerate the stronger exfoliation, then use a stronger one.... don't drink softdrinks or any sugared drinks. Most often, it is the cause of breakouts....

demi001 wrote:
Both lactic acid and glycolic acid break me out terribly and I was wondering if there was an alternative way to chemically exfoliate the skin? I keep hearing how exfoliation is imperative and that AHAs are wonderful for blemishes and scars and skin tone and fine lines and I'm so frustrated that my skin cannot tolerate them. I have tried the following products (not at the same time of course) with catastropic results:

-Liquid Gold by Alpha H
-Liquid Gold Intensive Night Repair Serum by Alpha H
-LacSal serum by Skin Biology
-AHA+BHA face wash by Hadalabo

I've found some exfoliators containing enzymes from fruits like papaya, does anyone know if they are they any good? Has anyone experienced trouble with AHAs as well, and is there a good alternative to them? I have very sensitive skin plus inflammatory rosacea and mechanical exfoliation leaves my face resembling a pizza so it's not a viable option.

I'm sorry to sound so distraught but AHAs sound so miraculous and I guess I'm just sad I can't use them. Any suggestions and advice from you wonderfull people would be greatly appreciated!
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:02 am      Reply with quote
I'm done with all acids- lactic, TCA, aha, etc. and am going to stick with my Clarisonic. For deeper exfoliation, the PMD looks like a great option.
teago
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
You say they break you out...is it just everything purging? I know that is something everyone asks but its worth a though.

Enzyme exfoliants are great. I believe Aspect makes a few enzyme mask/peel products. PHA's are also a great way to go then, Neostrata have quite a few products.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |