Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

whats your favorite eye make up (eyeliner + eyeshadows)?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:01 pm      Reply with quote
I dont usually wear makeup (nothing... none at all). but now i want to start maybe use a little eye makeup. I just started a new job, and people at work thought that i was not even 21 (not to mention still getting carded left and right when i go to bars).
please anyone... suggest something....
i want something that is long lasting, but also easy to remove with eye makeup remover.
any help will be much appreciated.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:34 am      Reply with quote
Brands of eye make-up I love include MAC, Prestige, Milani all do excellent eye liners and eye shadows.
I think Dr Hauschka also does good eye make-up. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:21 am      Reply with quote
MAC would be a good starting point for you, especially the shadows, because they have a vast array of colors and they stay put all day, but easily wash off with a gentle make-up remover or even just a facial cleanser if you gently use a washcloth.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:51 am      Reply with quote
Yes, MAC is great for eyeshadow. I especially love the Paints.

For mascara, Dr Hauschka's is very good, gives a lovely, natural effect and is easy to remove. I only use it on my top lashes, though, to prevent smudging. That way, it stays on all day with no problems.

Gel eye-liners (like Stila's Smudge Pots, or similar ones by MAC and Bobbi Brown) usually have good staying-power. MAC's Powerpoint Pencil another very decent eyeliner, if you don't like the gel versions.

Urban Decay's Potion eyelid primer is fantastic at helping your eyemake-up to stay put.
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:56 am      Reply with quote
I LOVE Dr Hauschka eyeliner pencil! Their liquid is great too, but it's a bit too dramatic for me. As far as eye shadow I love Ecco Bella. Lavera and Dr Hauschka have nice products but they show up rather light on the skin...very nice if you are looking for something subtle. Ecco Bella, Dr Hauschka and Lavera all produce wonderful mascaras. These cosmetics are basically "natural" and are easy to remove.
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:35 am      Reply with quote
I LOVE MAC products for eyes..the paints stay on all day and liquidlast liners do too. I also like ProLash mascara. If you want to splurge Dior eyeshadows are AWESOME....and the colors are very trendy. If you go to the Dior counter they will show you how to apply everything.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:42 am      Reply with quote
I love Dr Hauschka's makeup line and am now going to start introducing some Lavera as well (just put an eyeshadow in my shopping cart at Saffronrouge!!!) I've tried Ecco Bella too but found it wasn't the greatest quality. I still have some lip liners from Annabelle and a couple of eyeliners from Max Factor and Dr Hauschka as they are the only ones right now that don't give me an eye infection (I've tried several other brands and the results were none too pretty). I wish Dr H would make a plum couloured eyeliner than I can stop using the MF one and stay to my organic cosmetic routine. I also have hoards of other makeup I no longer use. Hmm maybe I should start a post on that, in fact I will.....
KNFN
5% products discount

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:46 am      Reply with quote
I only use MAC eyeshadow - I really like them. For eyeliner I use Smashbox Cream Eyeliner because it goes on so smooth and doesn't budge all day. I'd have to say it's the best cosmetic that i use!
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
everybody seems to love MAC. but i cannot get it at sephora. hm... is there anything that you girls can suggest that are sold at sephora? I have online store credit taht is almost expired.
cheers
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
For something WONDERFUL that is sold at Sephora, I would recommend Sue Devitt's chubby eye pencils. They last ALL day, come with a smudger attached, and glide on sooo easily. Not only that, but the colors are so gorgeous! I have one in a plum color and one in a bronzy color, and they are my favorite eyeliners ever!

5% products discount

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
I think that MAC and Smashbox are very much alike but they are both urban. If you are looking for something that's subtle you might be better with a different line. If you can, go to the store - they have in-store samples of all their products and the people that work there seem to be knowledgeable. (they'll even show you how to apply the makeup) Sephora has it's own brand of makeup that is very nice too and they have TONS of colors. Maybe you'd like an earthtone eyeshadow and a light gloss if you aren't used to wearing makeup. Check it out. Good luck!
tammymamtam
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
i just bought lash perfection by max factor and i can not believe how much i like it and its only $5! i was trimming my bangs and accidently cut my lashes on the right side (dnt ask!) anyway i use to use loreal volumious and the new one they have cnt remb the name and thought they were the only thing i cld use but with my little stubbs it wasnt cutting it then i saw the max fact on the today show so i gave it a try and viola my little nubs are now longer than the uncut side! quite amazing! i think its the brush its yellow and grabs better. i also love my new white eye liner by revlon i use on inside of lower lashes and on the rim of top and it makes u look more awake. i still use a little dark under my lashes too i cant seem to get rid of that habit. but u really arent suppose to according to all the magazines it makes your dark circles worse but i just look funny without it! the physcians formula mineral shadow is good too stays on all day for me.
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
I like LORAC eyeshadows. Not as many colors to choose from as MAC, but imo, better overall quality. They go on smooth, never chalky, long-lasting and the ones with shimmer are gorgeous...they have such a nice sheen to them, never glittery--great for daytime use and for us over 40 girls.
My favorite eyeliner lately is Clinique Cream Shaper for Eyes in chocolate lustre. I thought I had found my HG e/l with the gel liners from MAC & Bobbie Brown, but once I used this I haven't picked up an eyeliner brush since. It glides on so easily without tugging and stays put all day--love it!
little cat
5% products discount

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:13 am      Reply with quote
I would recommand you to use NARS. The colour is just so wonderful & unique
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
how bout stila? what do you girls think?
goldie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
I like the Bobbi Brown eye shadows and their gel eye liner, especially in Black Plum. Also, I just love the Dr H mascara.
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
does sephora sell BB? cant find it on sephora's website. I'd like to purchase eye makeup from one of thses brands : stila, urban decay or nars.
which one is better than others in terms of quality?
goldie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
does sephora sell BB? cant find it on sephora's website.

I thought so, but wasn't totally sure since I usually buy it at Nordstroms.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
Bobby Brown eye gel liner and MAC eyeshadow
vpmiyu
5% products discount

Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:31 am      Reply with quote
This is what I like to do:

For less trauma to the eyes, I only use liquid eyeliner on the top lashes (Shiseido has a nice refillable liquid eyeliner pen that even a 5 year old can use, also has a waterproof eyeliner that is harder to apply). Then top it off with a highlighting eyeshadow (I prefer cream based that I can smooth on with my finger) on the browbone and at the center of the eyelid. I think applying/removing makeup to/from the eyes exacerbates wrinkling. I tend to keep makeup away from the lower lids, and keep away from drying powders.

Also a nice lengthening mascara makes all the difference in the world. I currently use one that is high-fiber but it is hard to remove...

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:21 am      Reply with quote
roadtonowhere wrote:
does sephora sell BB? cant find it on sephora's website. I'd like to purchase eye makeup from one of thses brands : stila, urban decay or nars.
which one is better than others in terms of quality?

i have no idea what's better in terms of quality, but, this is what i would get.

a stila smudgepot in brown or gray both of these will give a nice definition without being as obvious or stark as black. actually, i'd go with the grey probably.

a fairly easy eyeshadow to get would be a stila eyeshadow trio in a colour group that you like, this way, the colours you have all work together--somethign i don't like about it is that they're all shimmery--which i tend to stay away from--but that's because of my own skin issues.

i would stick to subtle colours, one, because they're more forgiving to a beginner, two because they'll be less of a surprise to you as you look in the mirror and three, because i think that in general subtle looks better Smile

there're options here, stila has several nude-ish looking shades (i'm just going from the website here) for lid, bouquet, eden, jezebel, summer, and wheat look nice to me. and for the contour area, ecru and kitten look interesting.

now if you want to play more with colour, you could do a contrast... if you have green eyes go for a purply colour, if you have blue... well, frankly i forget, but i'm sure someone can fill that in, but still--stick to subtle shades, and it'll still give the contrast without shouting it to the world.

the colours i like from urban decay well the wallpaper shadow box, looks like a good deal, and it gives you a palette to play with. plenty of neutrals with some brighter colours. the skull shadow box also has some neutrals with some heavier colours thrown in, this may be a bit dark. but then again--you may want that.

urban decay has colours upon colours in the shadows, so i'm not gonna even go there, but i'd read the descriptions and stay away from the ones with glitter in them.

i hope i didn't go too far, but it sounded like you wanted some concrete suggestions from these brands (i don't know nars at all)

i also hope this helps you in some way even if it's only that you read it and think "gawd, she got that all wrong, i TOTALLY don't want to do things that way." because hey, that'd take a big chunk out of your decision too!

good luck!
Mimi H
5% products discount

Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:01 am      Reply with quote
I have been looking Forever!! for an eyeliner that stays on all day. I have previously had to use a setting agent that made the liner look shiny, which I did not like. After reading all of your reviews, I tried the MAC fluidline in "Dipdown" ( brown). I am sooooo impressed with this product. I can put it on at seven in the morning and still have it on at ten at night. You have to use so little of it that I am sure it will last forever. I also tried the Rimmel Special Eyes eye shadow in "A Type of Romance" which is a pink and mauve duo and really like the color and how well it applies and you sure can't beat the price.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:54 am      Reply with quote
I can also recommend the Stila Smudge Pot in grey. That's the colour I use and gives a nice, flattering, defining line without looking too scary and obvious.
muzzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:26 am      Reply with quote
I'm crazy about Stila eyeshadow in 'Kitten' it's a really versatile slightly peachy/champagne shimmer that makes a great wash under almost any other contouring colours. For a smoky eye look... Stila's Diamond Lil is a great colour too... it's a greyish brown deep shimmer Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:30 am      Reply with quote
Forgot... I too really like Smashbox's cream eyeliner... I've got several colours and it lasts forever. It's easy to apply too..
and mascara wise my favourite at the moment is Diorshow ( with Smashbox's lash primer underneath if I want them to look really long)
On a cheaper note though... Revlon Eyeshadow quads in Blushing wine are beautiful and make a great natural soft look...ideal for work. They behave really well...no creasing or anything, blend as good as more expensive brands.

Fri Oct 18, 2024 1:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Omega 3+ and Amalaki Night Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Doctor Babor Lifting RX Collagen Serum (4 bottles of net 3/16 fl. oz each) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |