Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

EmerginC VitaminC + Retinol Mask (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Dr Dennis Gross Vitamin C Lactic 15% Vitamin C Firm & Bright Serum (30 ml / 1.0 floz) Obagi ELASTIderm Eye  Cream (15 g / 0.5 oz)
Acne along jawline: Why?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
My acne problems have decreased significantly. However, I am still breaking out along my jawline. I don't get it! Everywhere else has been under control. But my jawline starting right next to my ear going down the jaw (but not the point of my chin) and also the underside of my jaw breaks out-- a mixture of mostly deep acne that doesn't really come to a head and the smaller ones that do come to a head so I can pop them.
(I know popping is bad but if I don't the zit will refuse to leave).

What is causing these breakouts? Is it because I sleep on my stomach/side so my face is on the pillow? Is it hormonal? Is it my make-up/SS/oil cleanser? Argh!

My routine:
AM: cleanse with Paula's Choice Balanced Cleanser, Kate Somerville Antioxidant, spot treat with Finacea, Shiseido spf 55, liquid foundation (currently trying different types)
PM: remove MU and SS with Albolene, wipe off excess oil/MU with Pond's cleansing wipes, Alternate between AHA 12% Glycolic souffle for 2 days, Paula's choice 2% BHA gel 1 day, MAMA lotion 1 day; then Finacea, Korres yogurt moisturizer (only when I am feeling dry)

My skin is combo. I used to have clear skin but started getting acne a couple years ago. In the past 3 months the acne has cleared mostly but I still have marks from healing scars. And the past two weeks I've had these breakouts on my jawline (which have always been a problem, then cleared, but now it's back).

I hope someone knows how I can prevent these breakouts... thanks!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:30 am      Reply with quote
From what I understand you have a lot of oil glands on your chin, so that area is more prone to breakouts. Do you rest your head on your hand? I noticed that if I do that I might get breakouts in that area.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi Skim,
I would say that your problem is hormonal. A dermatologist told me that if most of your breakouts occur along your jaw line or under your jaw and chin then it is most likely hormonal. The right BCP and/or spironolactone would probably be your best bet. HTH.
sal-star
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
I second what doodles has said - it is hormonal (hormonal breakouts occur around the chin and jawline)
I actually have the same issue - my skin elsewhere is fine but my chin is a disaster and it is my hormones Sad
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
Could it be your phone up against your face?
Lots of things could be going on and you don't even realize it.
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:48 am      Reply with quote
I have the same problems as you. I don't know either. I'm waiting for the answer, too.
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
I suspect now that my acne is hormonal. I've heard a BCP will help, but I really don't want to go that route. Nor do I want to try antibiotics. I prefer not to take meds, but I am open to supplements.

I heard saw palmetto might help. Does anyone know if this is true? I also started taking a hair, skin, nails supplement, fish oil supplements, and B6 vitamins.

So if my acne is indeed hormonal, will something like Retin-A work? Will any topicals work? I have been using Finacea for about 4 months. It helped with the marks that acne left, but not significantly. It doesn't really prevent or treat acne for me.

What can I do for my hormonal acne that isn't a drug?

I also considered Obagi...

btw, along with the acne, my cheeks have tons of clogged pores. I have orange peel texture skin-- gross! I don't know how to unclog or prevent the clogs. I have tried AHAs, BHAs, OCM, etc. Sigh...

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
Skim, actually, if your acne is hormonal, the hormonal problem needs to be addressed before any topical products will help.
I've seen a dramatic improvement in acne with the right "birth control" pill. Actually The Pill is used for other reasons as well. As far as not wanting to use "drugs", I can totally understand, but anything you apply to the skin, including Retin-A and Finacea, is absorbed by the body as a drug.
You could try seeing a nutritionist to find out if they have anything to offer. Some ppl have good luck with eliminating dairy products to clear up the skin, but then you need to get your calcium in another way.
It looks like you might want to stop using all the oil, like the Albolene, the facial wipes, etc. and switch to a different sunscreen and foundation: those are all highly occlusive!! Drying your skin with all the acids then slathering oil and grease on it to catch up might be making the problem worse! Maybe something simple and pure would give you some help.
Hope this helps you a little.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
Black Currant Oil is supposed to be good for acne, and Boski has recently started taking it.

boski wrote:
Hi guys,

Has anybody ever used Black currant oil supplements to help with acne? I was surfing around and read a post on another forum from somebody who raved about it helping her acne and I started to research it on the internet. I know that linolenic acid is very beneficial for the skin and this oil has a very high amount of it. Plus, it sounds like it has many other benefits too, as this article describes. I would like to try to get off my spironolactone. It's been a blessing for my occasional chin acne, but I don't want to be on it forever if I can find something else more natural.

The Many Benefits of Black Currant Oil

(Reprinted with permission from The Herbs Place)
A team of European scientists have discovered that oil pressed from black currant seeds holds the key to healing relief of a variety of ailments ranging from inflammatory disorders to skin disorders and chronic nagging pain. The excitement mounts because the oil represents a breakthrough in the search for a drugless method of soothing unpleasant symptoms such as faulty immune function, stubborn aches and impaired recovery powers to many common and uncommon disorders.

Late research shows that black currant oil (BCO) not only supplies important gamma linolenic acid, but also is a source of other needed essential fatty acids as well as the unique stearidonic acid, the precursors of the prostaglandin series PG3.

Essential fatty acids have nothing to do with fat. Think of them more like nutrients. They are called essential because the body must have them and cannot make them itself. Fatty acids perform all kinds of vital functions in the body. They give energy, help maintain body temperature, cushion and protect tissues, and insulate the nerves. Essential fatty acids (EFA) are part of the structure of every cell in your body and are vital for metabolism. They are also the precursors of the all-important short-lived regulating molecules, the prostaglandins. These regulators act by blocking pain. They are needed to dilate blood vessels, lower arterial pressure, metabolize cholesterol, activate T-lymphocytes to boost immunity, protect against platelet aggregation, control abnormal cell proliferation, to name just a few vital functions.

Until now the only other source of GLA (after mother's milk) was that of evening primrose oil. Black currant seed oil contains a more complete range of EFA. In contrast, evening primrose oil contains only one EFA - linoleic acid plus gamma linolenic acid (GLA). Black currant seed oil contains two: linoleic acid and alpha linolenic acid plus GLA the unique stearidonic acid. New research shows that black currant seed oil contains double the amount of GLA as evening primrose - 17% vs. 8-9%.

Why is GLA so important? Because it is the source of prostaglandins, the biological regulators that: (1) Regulate the menstrual cycle - including PMS in women. (2) Regulate skin problems such as dry, flaky patches. (3) Assist in regulating the body's immune system. (4) Control every cell and organ in your body on a minute-by-minute basis.

In a more recent report, a study was made by Dr. Klingman and Dr. Grove at the Skin Study Center of Philadelphia. The scientists wanted to see if Black Currant Oil could treat dry skin disorders. In the young, enzymatic transformation of dietary lipids in the body gives active compounds which offer a natural protection against excessive water loss. However, as we age, our enzymatic systems become less efficient and we need a supplementary aid to maintain our body lipid pool in equilibrium. These Drs. tell of using BCO to treat the problem, diagnosed as senile xerosis or very dry skin. The clinical assessment: "A significant improvement in skin dryness as assessed visually was achieved in the group and a trend toward improved skin texture as assessed tactically also seems to exist for the group." There was a significant reduction in evaporative water loss, as well.

I found this brand Health From the Sun which seems to have very good reviews on the vitamin websites. Has anybody used this?

http://www.vitacost.com/Health-From-the-Sun-Black-Currant-Oil/pd_section-pr#ProductReviews

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=28855&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=black+currant&start=1075

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:00 am      Reply with quote
I find that sometimes if i rest that area on my hand during the day, I will get a pimple there.
sofiya
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:21 am      Reply with quote
have you found solution yet? I have the exactly same situation just like you, what should I do?
I am useing LA MER try to fix it, but it dosen't work well, pimple still comes out all the time, especially around my Chin to ear
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:27 am      Reply with quote
i heard La mer makes many people break out
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:25 am      Reply with quote
I must join the list of people saying that acne on the jaw line is hormonal.. I suffered from it a lot in my 40's.

The best thing I found was Nano cyclic silver soap. There is a long thread on EDS about this product, which will give you the full story.

good luck.
refuge821

Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:14 am      Reply with quote
Nobody has contacted The Herbs Place for permission to print the article shown on Black Currant Oil.

The copyright guidelines shown on the website requires an active hotlink to the website. This copyright information can be found on the website under "Terms of Use" - the link is on the footer of every page.

This forum won't allow me to post a link as a new member.

Please provide a hotlink to the website or remove the article. Thanks Smile
ceca01
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
Skim, I have had a similar problem - a lot of acne on my jaw line. Somtimes I think that even the best products on the market can't extuinguish all of the acne on your face because the problem might be purely internal.

I did have a talk with my doctor and beautician and they have both advised me that when you have acne across your jaw line it means that your hormones are imbalanced.

Since I'm allergic to hormonal pills I have opted for chinese herbs and am glad to say that they have since reduced a lot.

Maybe you can talk to your doctor or go and see a naturopath or a chinese medicine practitioner and have a talk to them.

Good Luck!
ellie213
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
i had exactly the same problem for years, and think its a build up of too many hormones and toxins which manifest in your skin

the acne completely disappeared from doing the following:

i came off the pill
i either cut out or cut right down on dairy products, sugar and processed food and alcohol
i started taking beta carotene (vit a)

firstly if your body is overloaded with hormones coming off the pill helps in the long run as its not natural and is putting extra synthetic hormones in your body which confuse and disrupt your own hormonal system

dairy products are full of hormones. sugar, alcohol and processed food all lead to increased testosterone which also leads to hormone related acne

from doing the above all my acne disappeared and this is after years of trying everything, antibiotics, retin a, different pills, laser treatment etc etc.

it is a hard regime to maintain and if i break it, as i have done the last few weeks as its coming up to christmas i break out and now have a nice patch of acne on my jawline again!

still it proves to me that this regime does work as if i deviate from any of it i do notice my skin starts to get worse again

hope that helps!
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that it's hormonal. I switched birth control and my face broke out along my jaw and chin, where I'd never broken out before. I was using Tazorac at the time but that didn't really fix the cause. I tried Spiro and it took about three months for my face to stop breaking out in those painful, deep cysts.

Saw Palmetto is supposed to fix your hormones (excess of male hormones can cause acne) in the same way that Spiro does (so does Spearmint tea) but, like any herbal remedy, it will not be as potent.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
I have the same problem. Sad
But I don't want to use birth control pills for this. Hormone changes might induce tons of problems in other aspects.
ceca01
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
MMarble wrote:
But I don't want to use birth control pills for this. Hormone changes might induce tons of problems in other aspects.

Alternative medicine does work in balancing your hormones. Try it. It has helped so many people I know. It is more expensive than hormonal pills but so worth it. My whole family swears by Chinese medicine. I had stomach problems when I was younger and my GP has prescribed me to take 20 antibiotics a day! I know, it sounds unbeliveable. I just couldn't handle it and got onto chinese herbs and a year later it was all gone from my system.
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
ceca01 wrote:
MMarble wrote:

Alternative medicine does work in balancing your hormones. Try it. It has helped so many people I know. It is more expensive than hormonal pills but so worth it. My whole family swears by Chinese medicine. I had stomach problems when I was younger and my GP has prescribed me to take 20 antibiotics a day! I know, it sounds unbeliveable. I just couldn't handle it and got onto chinese herbs and a year later it was all gone from my system.

Can you tell me which Chinese herbs you use? I'm Asian, so I can probably get my hands on them somewhere.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
skim wrote:
ceca01 wrote:
MMarble wrote:

Can you tell me which Chinese herbs you use? I'm Asian, so I can probably get my hands on them somewhere.

I wouldn't have a clue. My chinese herbalist mixes it all up for me and it's dust like. I just mix two little spoons in hot water in morning and night 30min before food and that's it. He did say that he is concentrating on rebalancing my liver because that's where all hormonal problems according to chinese medicine start.
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
skim wrote:
I suspect now that my acne is hormonal. I've heard a BCP will help, but I really don't want to go that route. Nor do I want to try antibiotics. I prefer not to take meds, but I am open to supplements.

I heard saw palmetto might help. Does anyone know if this is true? I also started taking a hair, skin, nails supplement, fish oil supplements, and B6 vitamins.

So if my acne is indeed hormonal, will something like Retin-A work? Will any topicals work? I have been using Finacea for about 4 months. It helped with the marks that acne left, but not significantly. It doesn't really prevent or treat acne for me.

What can I do for my hormonal acne that isn't a drug?

I also considered Obagi...

btw, along with the acne, my cheeks have tons of clogged pores. I have orange peel texture skin-- gross! I don't know how to unclog or prevent the clogs. I have tried AHAs, BHAs, OCM, etc. Sigh...

What is BCP?
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
skim wrote:
ceca01 wrote:
MMarble wrote:

If you're Chinese, and can speak Chinese, you can go to Chinatown and ask around for a Chinese medicine doctor.
ceca01
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
ruk1 wrote:
skim wrote:
ceca01 wrote:
MMarble wrote:

If you're Chinese, and can speak Chinese, you can go to Chinatown and ask around for a Chinese medicine doctor.

I'm not Chinese and can't speak the language but I'm sure that wherever you live you will be able to find a Chinese herbalist who can speak English.

I hope it works for you, it really does wonders although it will take it a while to start working, you just have to be patient!
SylphideNoir
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:00 am      Reply with quote
Breakouts in that area are due to a Cortisol imbalance I believe. I would highly recommend Vitex (also called Chasteberry) which not only cleared up my skin but helped with a ton of other hormonal symptoms in body and mind. I have my menopausal mother on it now too and she loves it. It acts as a hormone moderator so it puts everything in balance instead of adding or subtracting anything with drugs. I take it in pill form twice a day.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Nighttime Nourishing Oil (15 ml / 0.5 floz) EmerginC VitaminC + Retinol Mask (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sjal Bio-Reneratif Serum (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |