Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

EmerginC Crease Ease Emulsion (50 ml) Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Hydra-Gel Eye Patches (60 patches) Blinc The Rare Gem Palette (1.1 g x 12)
Confused: DMAE, copper serum, retinol, which to use?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
luvsgracy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:51 am      Reply with quote
Sorry this is long, but I need some questions answered about a skin routine and products: acne-prone, fine lines, some sagging (I'm 51), some sun spots

Maybe the easiest way to ask what I need to know is if you are in your 40s or older, what is your routine for fine lines, a little sagging, faint sun spots, and most importantly, why do you use what you use - what is each one for?

I have to use mostly all natural ingredients due to fibro. and asthma so it's difficult.

I know I need a Vit. c serum and I love Skinceuticals CE Ferulic but it has Propylene Glycol, so I may try "Candy's" serums or SkincareCentral's vit C. serum, but Candy's has a preservative in it I believe, i need to email her, and I'm not sure exactly what the preservative has in it. But anyway, i know I need a serum of some sort which will in the long run help build collagen, and I know Skinceuticals has been proven to be good at this.

I know I need a sunscreen, and have been using UV Natural, a non-chemical sunscreen with "natural" ingredients, but it leaves my skin looking oily and I HATE using powder on my skin, so I'm needing to find a sunscreen that is non-chemical/natural that is mattifying.

So, that's what I use in the A.M. - Vit. C and sunscreen and I'm thinking of trying DMAE serum also in the A.M.

I am ordering samples of a DMAE serum from SkincareCentral and I ordered a sample of "Chrysalyx" serum - do you think this "Chrysalyx" serum will be good for firming - better than SkincareCentral DMAE serum?

Do I use a firming serum in the morning before the sunscreen and after the Vit. C?? Confused

At night I wanted to use something with either copper peptides or retinol, but remember, it has to be all natural, and I don't know what to use.

I ordered samples of Camellia oil and Epidermx also and want to get Emu oil.

I'm looking into making my own copper serum, but it seems to take me forever to be brave enough to order the stuff and experiment.

I have limited income, so I'm needing to either find less expensive things or be able to just buy little samples from Ebay.

So, any and all advice will be wonderful, and then I don't know what to use for "sun spots" , they aren't very dark, but they're on my body, too.

So I need to know what routine is good at night Question ,

and also, I've forgotten, why does one use Vit. c and then also have to use something with retinol - is it because the retinol is better at building collagen and helping with fine lines? Arrow

Does copper peptide build collagen and firm?

Anyway, which is better, a DMAE serum, a copper peptide serum, or both, or a retinol product? I'm confused.

I'm wondering about the copper peptides, will they help as much as retinol for fine lines and building collagen?
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:11 am      Reply with quote
Judging from some of your previous posts, you seem to have some pretty major problems with allergies, etc. and that can be very limiting in terms of purchasing products. I think ultimately, you may end up having to reproduce some formulas, minus the additives that you're sensitive to, yourself. But, that doesn't answer the question of what your overall regimen should be.

Let me start by saying that I was a total product slut for a long, long time. I was always experimenting with something new. To be sure, alot of the stuff I tried gave me results, but never results I was totally satisfied with.

Alot of members here swear by copper peptides. I used copper peptide very patiently, along with glycolic peels, for almost a year. My skin, which was pretty good to start with, looked okay, but I wasn't terribly impressed. The CPs did almost nothing to improve my skin, although the glycolic peels certainly did. If you do decide to take the CP route, keep in mind that even the most ardent devotees will tell you that it takes a long time to see results.

Ultimately, I started using IS Clinical products, and that was that! With a couple of tweaks and additions, most especially my latest addition of Candy's Triple C serum (and also an eyecare regimen that is NOT IS Clinical), I have the best skin I've ever had in my life. I was looking for improvements; I never expected flawless skin, but it is damn close to what I ended up with.

Whatever you ultimately decide on, Vitamin C is a very big yes, as is sunscreen. I think what you should do is go to one of the sites that sells a full range of products (i.e. C serums, CPs, retinols, glycolics, etc) as well as free skincare analysis. Tell them all of your concerns with your skin, including your allergies. See what they come up. Once you have a suggested regimen, you can then look at each product. If there are ingredients that you find objectionable in a particular serum or cream, but you still want to use the actives in it, you can always look around for a "cleaner" version. You may find that even the clean versions done by small formulators are a problem for you because of the use of botanicals and eo's that you may be allergic to. With a little help and advice, you can take the diy route and reproduce a reasonable facsimile of a professionally recommended regimen.

The problem with coming here and asking what products you should use is that ultimately, we'll make you complete crazy !!! You'll find that each of us tends to be passionate about certain approaches and it can be very hard to choose one over the other. You also can't necessarily take the "one from column a / one from column b" approach, since many of the actives tend to be incompatible, etc.

Much as I love the IS Clinical line, when other members have decided to try it, and ask me which products I recommend they use, most of the time, I encourage them to get a skincare analysis from one of the sites that do them and also sell IS Clinical. In your case, you really have some issues that I think should be addressed by someone who is a pro. Then, you can always come back here and ask for advice on specifics, etc.

May not be the answer you were looking for, but I think that, in the end, it is really the wisest and most prudent approach. Good luck!
luvsgracy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:47 am      Reply with quote
Thanks katee!! Wonderful advice. I'm wondering if you can point me to a particular post where you've listed your most recent successful skincare routine, I'm just curious to see, and I can try to find it but if it's not too much trouble could you tell me which post it would be in? Smile

Last year I did try IS Clinical, and I actually broke out from it: Active Serum, Pro-Heal, Hydra-Cool, and my skin was just too sensitive I think - I'm REALLY really acne-prone. I wanted to love the serums, but couldn't use them. The hydra-cool was too strong, also.

However, the IS Clinical serums did instantly make my pores "appear" more refined, smaller. But I didn't love the products, just too emollient for my T-zone - I get clogged pores from many things that others don't have problems with.

I probably will have to make my own serums for my T-zone, but I can use emollient things for my forehead temple area and on my neck area.

I guess I mainly want to know is feedback:

do most of you use DMAE in the AM and PM as well or just in the morning?

Do you put DMAE on top of Vit. C, then moisturizer, then sunscreen?

What is your night-time routine?

If you use retinols, Why do you use retinols?

To those who are sensitive to retinols, what are you using?
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:22 am      Reply with quote
am
cleanse
Super Serum
Candy's Triple C
HydraCool Serum
my eye stuff (currently using Remergent Microcirculation followed by SAS I Bright in the am)
Sunscreen

pm
cleanse
Active Serum
HydraCool or Firming Complex (most often the Firming Complex - just happen to be out of it atm)
my pm eye routine (Remergent, Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0, Katee's Super Duper Eye Serum )

I've also been experimenting with Candy's DMAE 6% serum around my eyes before the I-Bright and along my nasolabial area. I'm loving the results.

I also use a Quasar Laughing
luvsgracy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, katee, for taking time to list your routine for me ! Very Happy
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
I did try IS Clinical and it did not agree with my skin - sensitized it, cuased breakouts, etc.

I changed my routine about 10 months ago, when I found skinbio and dianne yvonne boards(the person who was invaluable on DY board is no longer there unfortunately). Based on Tangal's recommendations I started doing BHA, CP, EMU, DMAE, etc.

Even though my skin still has room for improvement it is in a better shape then it had ever been in. On my recent visit to Neiman Marcus the lady I know well, who sells Sisley, asked me for a detailed list and regimen that I was doing, claimimg that in the 3 years that she knows me she had never seen my skin in such shape (same goes with all my girlfiends).

My current routine is:

AM:

1).Cleanse ( Geografx Azulene cleanser)
2). DCX under eyes (wait)
3). SMN eye serun (wait)
4). Super CP serum (entire face, eyes, neck , decolte area) (wait)
5). Kripps DMAE (firming + anti-inflammatory)
(wait)
6). Emu combo oil (+ red raspb. seed oil + jojoba + hazelnut)(wait)
7). Sunscreen
Cool. Makeup

PM:

similar, but without DCX and SMN eye serum.

Once I get to mix my own C serum, I will try to use it instead of Super CP serum in the evening only since daylight diminishes it's ability to rebuild collagen.

Also, CP and Vit. C should not be used at the same time, you should try to have about 12 hours in between.

HTH,
Lucy.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
Lucy and everyone, thanks!!

Lucy, I don't know if it's true, but I read on MUA on a post that since Vit. C can stay in the skin for 72 hours that you should not use CP products at all with the Vit. C ?? I dont know, though, that's just what I read.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
It was indeed discussed on Skinbio board, and answered by Dr. P. himself that 12 hours shoud suffice.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:04 am      Reply with quote
Thank you, Lucy Cool , that's what I was wondering (in reference to using Vit. C and copper at the same time).
Oakview
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Are you able to use retin-A? This has made the biggest difference in anti-aging for me and it happens pretty quickly. If not, you might check out the PSF retinol product. I agree with Katee that CPs are only for the very patient. From the different forums I have read, I would recommend purchasing a CP product and not making your own. There are different generations of CPs and it is hard to get a meaningful product unless you know what you are doing. I have used Skinbiology's CP serum and super CP serum for over a year. I use a number of things so I can't be sure of the effect but think there is some science behind these products. They don't cost much and you use very little at a time. There is a ramp up curve for some people (start with a little or diluted and add more over time). I didn't need to do this with my resistant skin. DMAE will probably give you a more immediate effect, especially if you have visible sagging. Again, it is important to get a product formulated to the right percentage. Sounds like you have identified some good sources. I also recommend sunscreen and antioxidants. Are you using a good cleanser that isn't too harsh? Moisturizer is important as well.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Oct 04, 2024 9:10 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Laboratoire Dr Renaud ExCellience CellClock Cellular Youth Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Obagi ELASTIderm Eye  Cream (15 g / 0.5 oz) Osmotics Cream Extreme Intensive Repair (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |