Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cruelty-Free Emu Oil??????
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
OK, so over at the Ice Elements forum I read that the IE folks have sourced a "cruelty-free" emu oil that is obtained from the emu, painlessly, while the bird is still alive. I was under the impression that Emu oil was ground/melted Emu fat, so to my way of thinking, it would have to come from a dead emu, which is why as a vegetarian I've always avoided emu oil like the plague. So, can anyone tell me what they could possibly mean at IE by "cruelty-free emu oil"???

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
I've never heard of this...I always thought that they got Emu after the bird was killed.

While I can't bring myself to use emu (I'm a meat-eater, the concept just kind of grosses me out..)...it would be great if there were a cruelty-free version...I've seen Emu oil sold on website where they claim cruelty-free products, but never that the oil itself was cruelty-free.

http://www.myherbalwonders.com/pure-emu-oil.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
OK, so over at the Ice Elements forum I read that the IE folks have sourced a "cruelty-free" emu oil that is obtained from the emu, painlessly, while the bird is still alive. I was under the impression that Emu oil was ground/melted Emu fat, so to my way of thinking, it would have to come from a dead emu, which is why as a vegetarian I've always avoided emu oil like the plague. So, can anyone tell me what they could possibly mean at IE by "cruelty-free emu oil"???

I've heard this term before in relation to emu oil. If I remember correctly, it is the fact that the emu bird was not killed for the oil; it was raised and killed for the meat. The production of the oil is just a by-product.

Basically, splitting hairs. Rolling Eyes
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
Wow...I wonder if that means "non cruelty-free" emu oil was killed just for the oil?

That's not cool...

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
Ugh, whether the bird is killed just for its oil or killed for its meat too, I'm not cool with it. I'm also not cool with the IE people telling their customers that no Emus were harmed in getting the Emu oil--- either the IE people are outright lying to their customers, or someone has been lying to the IE people. Either way, it's a problem IMO.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
Wow...I wonder if that means "non cruelty-free" emu oil was killed just for the oil?

That's not cool...

From what I've read, emu are raised for the meat, not the oil. If cruelty-free means that it wasn't killed for the oil, then I think that all emu oil can be considered "cruelty-free". I just think that emu oil suppliers don't use the term, because it raises a lot of questions... like my first thought, that they must perform lipsuction on the emus. Very Happy
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
Here's what Shelly says at IE:

Thank you for the question. It is important to us as a company that we do not cause any cruelty to animals so we do investigate the source of our ingredients.

It is true that Emu comes from the Emu bird. The bird produces a natural oil which is full of essential fatty acids. Prior to contracting with a lab to produce this product for us, we investigated the source of the component materials and selected them very carefully. We were in contact with the Emu council and verified a source who does sell Emu oil which is only processed from the Emu while it is live and not sedated or harmed in any manner. This does not cause the bird any pain or distress in any manner.

Can anyone explain this to me?? Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
Can she share her source? Probably wishful thinking. I mean...this is important to a lot of people.

I don't see how you can take the fat off of an emu without causing it distress...and if there IS a truly cruelty-free source...where are they?
I'd think it would be a HUGE selling point for their oil.

And what is the Emu Council? I'm picturing Emus sitting around a large round table...Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:

And what is the Emu Council? I'm picturing Emus sitting around a large round table...Laughing

Laughing

probably get more sense out of them than politicians.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
The only thing that would make sense is EMU Liposuction Shock Embarassed
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
is only processed from the Emu while it is live and not sedated or harmed in any manner. This does not cause the bird any pain or distress in any manner.

Confused

That is the strangest thing I've ever heard. How could it be possible to remove fat from a living animal without causing it pain or distress? The thought of this really disturbs me. Shock
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:25 am      Reply with quote
I thought the oil was extracted from a fat pouch on the back of the emu, so for it to be taken painlessly whilst the emu is alive I can only imagine they would have to drain it some how, ie syringe extraction(?).

Personally I cannot for the life of me imagine why anyone would want to put that on their face anyway, but that's just my opinion.
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:52 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, this is ridiculous, and simply impossible (for me) to believe.

That any emu farmer would go to the trouble of "harvesting" and reducing fat from a bird whose major product is its slaughtered meat... that farmer will simply not make a profit. Which is, after all, why he farms. What would be his point? To make cruelty-free emu oil? Piffle. Emu oil has a fine and wide audience, without trying for the vegetarian or PETA crowd. Rolling Eyes

Perhaps they also harvest skin from cows to make leather, and then regraft the section? Cruelty-free leather. Imagine that. Since cows are killed primarily for their beef...

Animals are killed. Period.

To suggest emu fat is harvested without the emu being harvested is like suggesting deer antlers are collected to put on cabin walls, without ever harming the deer.

Sure. Tell me another one.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
Isn't cruelty free Emu oil like me hoping that rabbit jackets are made from jackets who have been gently brushed whilst listening to Radio 4..?!
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
"Cruelty free" animal products seems an oxymoron to me.

I'm a long term vegetarian, but I still use emu oil, so....
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
Really? I'm not a vegetarian...FAR from it Smile but I cannot bring myself to put animal oil on my face...I smelled, well what must have been unrefined or something, and it made my stomach turn. Ever since I can't do it. Nope.

Weird...I'll eat meat no problem (fixing poultry is hard...if I handle it raw I CANNOT eat it...but it's not the same for beef or other red meat, I can handle, cook, and eat it...)
...but I squirm when I think of putting emu on my face...knowing where it comes from ON the bird. Embarassed

I guess we all have our quirks...Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:58 am      Reply with quote
daisylondon wrote:
Isn't cruelty free Emu oil like me hoping that rabbit jackets are made from jackets who have been gently brushed whilst listening to Radio 4..?!

Laughing
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:12 am      Reply with quote
daisylondon wrote:

Oops, I meant of course to say isn't cruelty free Emu oil like me hoping that rabbit jackets are made from *rabbits* who have been gently brushed whilst listening to Radio 4..?!
Laughing

You're not weird ParisTroika..well if you are I am too! I haven't even seen emu oil as I have never looked for it. I'm not a vegetarian either but I wouldn't put chicken oil on my face!
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:36 am      Reply with quote
daisylondon wrote:
You're not weird ParisTroika..well if you are I am too! I haven't even seen emu oil as I have never looked for it. I'm not a vegetarian either but I wouldn't put chicken oil on my face!

Whereas during my Christmas emu crisis I was seriously looking at jars of goose fat a la Nigella. Laughing
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:24 am      Reply with quote
There are a number of Emu industry Trade Organizations. Some are legit, some are nothing more then a handfull of Ranchers looking for a Tax Write off. Smile

I personally have never seen much on the "Emu Council" They may mean the The United States Emu Council (USEC). But I cannot find any real info about them anywhere, to see how "valid" they may be.

The only refernce I found was on this Business Plan example.
http://www.referenceforbusiness.com/business-plans/Business-Plans-Volume-04/Emu-Ranch.html

But I still can't find that actual group, online anyway.

One of the more well known is the Americian Emu Oil Association. I will check with them, and see if they have thoughts on this. They should know if this is possible, and sources.
http://www.aea-emu.org/emuoilfaq.asp
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:29 am      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
daisylondon wrote:

Whereas during my Christmas emu crisis I was seriously looking at jars of goose fat a la Nigella. Laughing

Mmmm, goose fat! The most delicious in the world! I put it on my chickens (yes, my chickens that I roast in my kitchen) and potatoes.... Never on my skin, though. I'm an indulgent carnivore because I'm a diagnosed hypoglycemic who cannot go without large amounts of protein to balance out my diet.

This is ridiculous--one of you who are in touch with IE should email them and point out the logical inconsistencies of their claims. It may be a "cruelty-free" process, but all emus are raised for their meat and are eventually killed, so what is the difference whether or not the animal is alive or dead when the oil is extracted? Animal activists are concerned primarily with two things only: how the animal is raised, and why the animal is being farmed, i.e. to what purpose/product. An emu farm is an emu farm; beauty without cruelty = total absence of animal by-products and animal testing.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:52 am      Reply with quote
daisylondon wrote:

OT but this reminds me of something my brother told me. He uses La Mer, and the saleswoman told him, with a straight face, that music is played to the seaweed while it is fermenting Laughing
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:25 am      Reply with quote
appletini wrote:
daisylondon wrote:

OT but this reminds me of something my brother told me. He uses La Mer, and the saleswoman told him, with a straight face, that music is played to the seaweed while it is fermenting Laughing

Love it!! Laughing
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:56 am      Reply with quote
appletini wrote:
daisylondon wrote:

Yes, but are they playing something soothing to the seaweed, or is it Death Metal?
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:01 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
appletini wrote:
daisylondon wrote:

Yes, but are they playing something soothing to the seaweed, or is it Death Metal?

Well, exactly. How are we to know there isnt some crazed Barry Manilow fan there on the night shift? Anything could be happening in the name of seaweed based beauty, and who would ever know???
System
Automatic Message
Thu Oct 17, 2024 10:39 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Doctor Babor Lifting RX Collagen Serum (4 bottles of net 3/16 fl. oz each) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Pro-Derm HA Plumping  Serum (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |