Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Omega 3+ and Amalaki Night Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Peptide Day Therapy (50 ml)
Infra-red sauna - the benefits of
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
lesleyjane
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
Recently, a local health food company (Finlandia Pharmacy) renovated their store and incorporated an infra-red sauna for their customers. I bought two packages of 10 visits. I'm through with my first 10 and thought I'd mention how wonderful this experience has been so far for me.

An infra-red sauna is very different from a regular steam sauna in that it's a dry sauna and the heat is less intense. It's a very soothing lovely experience. You sweat buckets and burn up to 600 calories in 30 minutes so it's good for weight loss and heart health. But I really noticed a difference in my skin. It's smoother, softer, and rosier. I also notice it helps my arthritis and achy muscles. Going to the sauna is like going to the gym. You just look amazing afterwards. So this is a good addition to an overall skin care program.

Here's a good web site explaining the benefits. http://www.infrared-sauna-reference.com/
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info on it! Infrared light is in a number of home-use skin rejuvenation devices, including the Quasar family. I have a little hand-held infrared heat device for muscles, and I've been using it on my face in hope of some benefit before I go investing in more costly equipment. From your experience, I guess I can hope for it doing me some good!

I will watch out for an opportunity for an IR sauna.

Why do you say it is good for heart health? I have a theory about heat and heart health and I wonder if it has been addressed at all in medicine-related media or research.
lesleyjane
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Why do you say it is good for heart health? I have a theory about heat and heart health and I wonder if it has been addressed at all in medicine-related media or research.

It increases the heart rate, much like a work out. Here's a link on the heart health aspects.
http://www.infrared-sauna-reference.com/cardiac-health-care.html

I've done some research into different brands and Sunlight Saunas appear to have a very good reputation, and what impresses me about their saunas is the construction. They don't use veneers or chemicals that can harm the user. http://www.sunlightsaunas.com/

That link also has information about heart benefits among other things.

They make a portable sauna that easily fits into apartments or small areas. The one at Finlandia Pharmacy is made by Sunlight and it's very nice. I just love sitting in it.

Someday I hope to be able to afford to buy one so that I can have a sauna every day.
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
lesleyjane wrote:
Quote:

It increases the heart rate, much like a work out. Here's a link on the heart health aspects.
http://www.infrared-sauna-reference.com/cardiac-health-care.html

This is exactly what I was thinking recently, and I have NEVER heard it addressed!!!
What could be more doable as a cardiovascular workout than SITTING IN A HOT BATH for 25 minutes four days a week or so??? ...or a sauna...

I started wondering if there were data on the countries that do things like this -- I thought of Japan and Finland specifically -- and I started to wonder if the regular use of hot baths has been confounding all the data that has people concluding that the Japanese diet is so ideal...

Thanks again for all the info, I will be keeping this in mind, though, like you, i could not afford one of these sauna's at the moment, possibly ever...
lesleyjane
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:04 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I started to wonder if the regular use of hot baths has been confounding all the data that has people concluding that the Japanese diet is so ideal...

What I've read is that Japan and other countries that have adopted a western diet are experiencing western diseases like type two diabetes, heart disease, etc.

There's a lot to be said for the proper diet as well as exercise.

I may start a thread on foods and supplements I've found really helpful (like Greens Plus and fish oils, for example). I'd be interested to hear what has worked for others.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:12 am      Reply with quote
I have one of these portable, foldable saunas. There's a thread re: cellulite that goes into a plethora of options and vendors that people found on eBay and others for low costs.

I love mine! It does indeed perform as Lesleyjane described. In fact, I'm going to use mine this morning. Smile

Lesley, I'm also a fan of supplements and healthing eating. I have taken Omega 3s for awhile now in addition to many others. In fact, just recently, I did a blood test and my doctor was shocked at my Triglyceride level. She said they look for below 150 - mine were 67. Laughing The only "issue" I had was that my potassium was low so I should be eating more bananas or something else - need to research it more.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:57 am      Reply with quote
I've never used an infrared sauna, although it does sound lovely. HOWEVER, there is one thing that I really think needs to be said.

Sitting still for 25 minutes, and having something elevate your heart rate does NOT constitute a cardiovascular workout and to claim that it does is not only absurd, it's dangerous. By that reasoning, any stimulant from caffeine to methamphetamine could declare itself to be something that promotes "heart health."

I'm not dissing the infrared sauna. In fact, I'd love to try one as I already love using the conventional sauna, especially after a good, tough workout. My point is that there is simply no sedentary substitute for a cardio workout.

My recommendation to ANYONE would be to get off their butts more. I guarantee that however great a sauna treatment of any type is, it will be wayyyyyy better post workout and so will you!

(climbing down off my soapbox....)
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:59 am      Reply with quote
Katee is very correct about the cardio, so adding that to the sauna would be the best solution.
I have read so much about the benefits and I use one when I can. My son has one in his house (and again, what's wrong with that picture?) and I am glad he uses to flush out all the toxins from his poor lifestyle eating/drinking habits in college.
I have been meaning to get one but my hubby wants to build me one so I'll get around to it.
Scally-thae same thing happened to me when I started working out and getting my cholesterol levels in order so I take a potassium tablet every other day.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:08 am      Reply with quote
Lesley Jane, I have no doubt that diet is a huge factor in heart health (as is exersize), but What I had been wondering was if the practise of hot or steam baths had exaggerated the differences in heart health between the Japanese and other groups.

katee, AnnieR, do actually know of any data that establishes that these bathing practises do not contribute to cardio health?
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:16 am      Reply with quote
I hope anyone who is considering one of these saunas does not think that it is the end-all, be-all. Katee is correct in that exercise must be done, as well. This particular claim regarding these saunas is the least of why I love it. The detox is primo number one for me but I still exercise and eat well. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I've never used an infrared sauna, although it does sound lovely. HOWEVER, there is one thing that I really think needs to be said.

Sitting still for 25 minutes, and having something elevate your heart rate does NOT constitute a cardiovascular workout

I didn't mean to imply (and am sorry if it came across this way) that the infra-red sauna was a substitute for exercise. It does, in fact, elevate the heart rate, causes one to perspire and burns calories. My personal philosophy is that diet, exercise and infra-red sauna works wonders on one's health and skin. Ideally human beings should be doing all these things on a regular basis.

I'm very big on diet.

Here's how I start my day:

1 scoop of Greens Plus in water - the orange flavoured (can't say enough about this stuff!)
http://www.genuinehealth.com/english/pbn/index.php?id=37&section=154

Dry skin brush massage (I bought my skin brush at Lothantique - they have the best quality and variety) http://healingtools.tripod.com/skinbrush.html

15 minutes after the Greens Plus (if I have time) I have a teaspoon of Active Manuka Honey (medically proven to aid digestion and kill even staph infections)
http://www.manukahoneyusa.com/manuka-honey-research.htm

If I don't have time, but even after the Manuka, I make a shake with
- mixed organic berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries). I buy them frozen at the health food store.
- 1 scoop of French Vanilla Whey Factors by Natural Factors
- 1 tablespoon of Bob's Red Mill Organic Flaxseed Meal
- 1 tablespoon of Bob's Red Mill wheatgerm (can't say enough about this company's products...they are excellent)
- 1.5 cups of water

That is my breakfast.

Lunch is a large salad and fish (light tuna or wild salmon) or organic chicken, etc.

Dinner is more of the same.

I do go off on benders with popcorn, chocolate (dark) etc...like everyone else, but I really try to keep my diet good. I have a treat of decaf espresso in skim milk twice a week but otherwise I drink herbal teas.

And I consume two liters of filtered water a day.

I don't get as much exercise as I should but that's mostly because I sustained an injury. I do like walking and will walk as many miles as I can. Sometimes I walk to work (1.5 hour trip).

Anyway, that's my routine.
lesleyjane
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
P.S.

Of course I'm leaving a lot out, like the supplements I take and salad ingredients and meal plans etc.

My doctor advised me to take 5000 IUs of Vitamin D a day! Because I live in a very rainy climate where sunlight is in short supply for months every year. This has really boosted my energy.

I also take fish oils (NutraSea) and CLA (Sisu Tonalin brand which is reputed to be the best). Vitamin C - 4 grams a day, B complex, Cal-Mag...

I try to buy locally produced organic vegetables and meats (especially meats...I no longer buy anything that isn't organic free range and verifiable as such, after reading Fast Food Nation and Diet for a New America which describe in detail the food manufacturing industry).

I'm 51 and people tell me they think I look forty. I credit my diet and the fact that I don't smoke and drink very infrequently for this more than any skin care products.
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
lesleyjane wrote:

I didn't mean to imply (and am sorry if it came across this way) that the infra-red sauna was a substitute for exercise.

LLCoolJ, nobody was saying that, but I did sound like I was implying that a hot bath could be a substitute for cardiovascular exersize specifically, and should have chosen my words better.

Can you please share what kind of vitamin D you take? I noticed such a change in myself, including diminished shronic pain level last year after getting a lot of sun, that I suspected vitamin D might be one of the factors responsible for my improvement (I had changed a number of things at the same time, and couldn't be sure exactly what had done what). I did back then end up reading some research studies linking vitamin D to pain tolerance. I had always myself believed that pain tolerance had a relationship to energy level. So whatever the specific mechanisms are at work, I'd be very interested in trying what you are doing and seeing if I experience any effect.

Thanks for all your other info too.
lesleyjane
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Can you please share what kind of vitamin D you take?

I buy Sisu - 90 tabs of Vitamin D @ 1000 IU per tab. I take five of these a day with a meal. This is on my doctor's recommendation so I advise consulting your physician. The daily recommended dose is under 100 IU, but my doctor told me research shows that's pretty inadequate for most people and very inadequate for people living in climates where it rains and is cloudy for months on end.

Sisu has a web site but I couldn't find this bottle on it, so here's a link that shows it.
http://www.abacohealth.com/index.php/prodid/SIS048
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, LesleyJane, also for the heads up about the unusualness of the dosage. I'll be asking my doc within a month.
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:50 am      Reply with quote
[quote="lesleyjane"]
Quote:
I started to
I may start a thread on foods and supplements I've found really helpful (like Greens Plus and fish oils, for example). I'd be interested to hear what has worked for others.

Lesleyjane, please do start a thread about this. I really enjoyed reading about your health regimen and would love to read about the supplements you take and any helpful websites you might visit (for health and anti-aging). Thanks so much!
System
Automatic Message
Sat May 18, 2024 1:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Hauschka Sensitive Care Conditioner (1 ml x 50 Amps) HydroPeptide Anti-Wrinkle Power Luxe (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |