Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
55 and over Skin Care issues
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Smoky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:04 am      Reply with quote
I'm having a bad skin week! Since coming to the EDS forum, I have learnt so much abouts skin and products. But, I am at a loss as to how to proceed. My 57 year old skin is starting to show its age seriously, after many years of troublefree skin and lots of compliments. At times, I think I have been abusing it with too many new products, but stopping is not an option as I don't have any 'safe' backups in place. First there was Paula's Choice for the AHA products, then I moved on to Decleor, then to Dr. Haushka and now to PSF. I've tried Vitamin C and DMAE. But none have been right for me and I have more breakouts and blocked pores than ever before.

Comments about the CPs on this forum have taken me to the Skinbiology website and it looks very promising. I will carry on with my existing products for the next month as I am going on vacation, but as soon as I am back I will order some of the Skinbiology line. I'll check with you all and advise how things are. I sure hope for the better as I really am at a loss as to what to do. Feel like a 16 year old with skin problems, unfortunately in a 57 year old body!

Sorry for the negative note....

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:40 am      Reply with quote
Smokyl sorry you are not having success with your skincare regime.

Maybe when you are back from your vacation give Nanci an email at NCN and get set up with a new skincare program. I will be doing just that when I finish off all the product I have that is not working for me.

I might also suggest if not already part of your routine is great vitamins, minerals and flax seed oil. I am almost 53 and have been taking all of that for several years and I think it really slows down the aging process along with great cardio workouts everyday!
There is also a product that I take ever few months it's Naka Silicea Gel Supplement by a company called Hubner and it is amazing for hair, nails and skin. A tablespoon of that daily does wonders.

Hope the new products work out for you and enjoy your vacation!
kd
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:21 am      Reply with quote
mishie wrote:
Smokyl sorry you are not having success with your skincare regime.

Maybe when you are back from your vacation give Nanci an email at NCN and get set up with a new skincare program. I will be doing just that when I finish off all the product I have that is not working for me.

I might also suggest if not already part of your routine is great vitamins, minerals and flax seed oil. I am almost 53 and have been taking all of that for several years and I think it really slows down the aging process along with great cardio workouts everyday!
There is also a product that I take ever few months it's Naka Silicea Gel Supplement by a company called Hubner and it is amazing for hair, nails and skin. A tablespoon of that daily does wonders.

Hope the new products work out for you and enjoy your vacation!

I second this!!!
I've used everything and anything. Thus far the only things that have worked on my 54 year old sun beaten aging skin living in the land of movie stars has been the following in this order:
1. Obagi - particularly the Clear and Blender with REtin A (to get a serious jump start and then do occasionally to maintain).
2. CP's, CP accelerator and the stuff Nanci @ NCN Professional Skin care has recommended (love the microfiber exfoliating cloth)
and, although I seem to be alone on the next one ...
3. Hydrosols and the serums from Anna Bellina for over 40.

When I look at photos the difference is amazing. You don't really realize until you look back.

And the nutritional supplements, drinking water and exercising to keep the blood moving -- of course. Very Happy
Illusions

Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:44 am      Reply with quote
I recently discovered this site, and am overwhelmed by all the helpful information here! I have an appointment this week to talk with derm. about starting Obaji line of products, and get her recommendations.
Would it be beneficial to get a chemical peel or microdermabrasion before starting this line of products? I will be 54 next month, and am a sun lover with wrinkles, sagging and some sun spots.
Thanks for being so helpful!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
I'm seeing some great results from skin needling. So far, I've only done it once a week for 5 weeks but I've seen a big improvement in my neck. I had a real "turkey gobbler" neck - lots of loose skin. It has now really tightened up - my husband even commented on it, and he never notices anything! The needling also accelerates the benefits of topicals (I'm using CP's and Retin-A).

For those of us that have mature age skin I think the thing that we hate most is that haggard, sour look. It's not that we want to look 25 again - we just want to look healthy and fresher. I'm finding that the skin needling is really "waking up" my skin.

I don't want to highjack this thread on a discussion of needling, but if you are interested have a look here, there's lots of good info:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=22460
chinachatters
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:56 am      Reply with quote
Keliu -

Needling fascinates me. Haven't tried it - I think the little dermaroller devices are outrageously expensive. The moderator of the old biochemistry of beauty forum swore by a combination of Retin-A, ascorbic acid and vitamin E, needled in. I don't think we talked about doing it to necks, though.

My neck is a big issue. Apparently it's been less than perfect for a couple of years. I fly into a quiet rage when anybody mentions it. I would be very happy to tighten it, smooth the skin and make it all one color with a diy regimen.

Did you also have chicken skin texture and uneven pigmentation?
chinachatters
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:05 am      Reply with quote
Regarding CP - I have a bottle of Dr. Pickart beginner serum on the way. The directions say to take 1000 units of vitamin C and 1000 units of MSM daily while using the serum.

I wanted to comment on something I read earlier in this thread - Ester C and vitamin C ester, according to Perricone, are different substances. The one to use is vitamin C ester. It's fat soluble vitamin C. The other one is a brand name.

[quote](Note: vitamin C ester is not the same thing as Ester C™: a patented ascorbic acid supplement with no clinically proven advantages over regular ascorbic acid.)[/quote]

http://www.nvperriconemd.com/index.cfm?action=home.vitamin_c_ester
kyplantjunkie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
Great info on the Vit C. I would never have known ester c and c ester weren't the same thing.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
chinachatters wrote:
Did you also have chicken skin texture and uneven pigmentation?

Hi Chinachatters,
I do have awful chicken skin on my neck - I also have three huge red bands (wrinkles). Those in the know say that it takes 40 days for skin to renew itself and 80 days to see the the final results of the needling. I'm only at the 35 day mark so I hope to see continued improvement in the texture of my neck skin. So far, I think I'm seeing better results from needling than I was getting from TCA peels.
albie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
HI! I'm new to this site. It great reading about everyone's experiences. I was wondering if anyone has done a chemical peel and then used the DPL. If so, how long after the peel did you wait to start using the DPL? AJ
chinachatters
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:27 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="kyplantjunkie"]Great info on the Vit C. I would never have known ester c and c ester weren't the same thing.[/quote]

Smart me, I forgot to mention that he says vit. c ester is ascorybl palmitate.

By the way, he says he put the Vitamin C Ester (ascorbyl palmitate) at 10% level in moisturizing base and it thickened just about everybody's skin and disappeared crow's feet. He gave them 1-lb. jars.

8-) I'm re-reading his book now, every word, to see what other pearls of wisdom I've forgotten.
chinachatters
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="Keliu"][quote="chinachatters"] Did you also have chicken skin texture and uneven pigmentation?[/quote]

Hi Chinachatters,
I do have awful chicken skin on my neck - I also have three huge red bands (wrinkles). Those in the know say that it takes 40 days for skin to renew itself and 80 days to see the the final results of the needling. I'm only at the 35 day mark so I hope to see continued improvement in the texture of my neck skin. So far, I think I'm seeing better results from needling than I was getting from TCA peels.[/quote]

I have TCA latte that I'm finishing right now and the CP serum will probably arrive tomorrow.

The chicken skin is the worst of the problem for me because I don't deserve sun damage. Except for a few wild and crazy sunburns, I've avoided sun like plague and stayed sickly-white for most of the summers of my life. This is my reward?
Ninetynine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:45 am      Reply with quote
chinachatters wrote:
Regarding CP - I have a bottle of Dr. Pickart beginner serum on the way. The directions say to take 1000 units of vitamin C and 1000 units of MSM daily while using the serum.

I wanted to comment on something I read earlier in this thread - Ester C and vitamin C ester, according to Perricone, are different substances. The one to use is vitamin C ester. It's fat soluble vitamin C. The other one is a brand name.

Quote:
(Note: vitamin C ester is not the same thing as Ester C™: a patented ascorbic acid supplement with no clinically proven advantages over regular ascorbic acid.)

I think the instructions were to just take 1000mg of Vit C and 1000mg MSM with CPs but it does not specify the Vit C has to be Vitamin C Ester. So I assume ordinary Vit C will do.

Can someone please clarify this?

Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:02 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone used the DPL along with chemical peels. If so, how long after the peel did you wait before using the DPL.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:42 am      Reply with quote
Ninetynine wrote:
chinachatters wrote:

Quote:
(Note: vitamin C ester is not the same thing as Ester C™: a patented ascorbic acid supplement with no clinically proven advantages over regular ascorbic acid.)

I think the instructions were to just take 1000mg of Vit C and 1000mg MSM with CPs but it does not specify the Vit C has to be Vitamin C Ester. So I assume ordinary Vit C will do.

This is way too confusing for me. I just purchased Wagner Ester C and it says on the bottle that it is "absorbed twice as fast and held in the body twice as long as vitamin C". Maybe Dr. Perricone want us to purchase his brand and not others. Although isn't he dead? -obviously didn't do him much good. Wink But then again, maybe he died with great skin!
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:09 am      Reply with quote
Ninetynine,

Just make sure your bottle shows "Vitamin C as Ascorbyl Palmitate" in the ingredients list. Ascorbyl Palmitate (the actual C Ester) is a fat-soluble form of C, while L-Ascorbic Acid is water-soluble. I do see a difference in using C ester supplements rather than regular L-Ascorbic Acid (as I mentioned earlier), but I also know that the skin derives a great deal of benefit from the topical application of both.

hth

Ari

p.s. N.V. Perricone dead? When?

Ninetynine wrote:
chinachatters wrote:

Quote:

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:26 am      Reply with quote
[quote="Arielle"]Ninetynine,

Just make sure your bottle shows "Vitamin C as Ascorbyl Palmitate" in the ingredients list. Ascorbyl Palmitate (the actual C Ester) is a fat-soluble form of C, while L-Ascorbic Acid is water-soluble. I do see a difference in using C ester supplements rather than regular L-Ascorbic Acid (as I mentioned earlier), but I also know that the skin derives a great deal of benefit from the topical application of both.

hth

Ari

p.s. N.V. Perricone dead? When?

Yes, sorry, I think I was getting poor Dr Perricone mixed up with Dr Atkins - Rolling Eyes

My bottle of Ester-C says "Calcium Ascorbate - Threonate Complex". Is this not as good?
kd
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:14 am      Reply with quote
I think it was Dr. Linus Pauling that did all of the work with vitamin C, and yes, he's dead. Atkins is the protein diet guy.

re: Vit. C -- Ester C is not the same as C Ester ... one is fat soluble and the other water soluble. Ester C is similar to taking regular C except that for people who tend to be more acidic report that Ester C is easier to digest.

It's all so confusing. There are other C's on the market that are the whole molecule and are easy to digest and effective, but you have to pop them like candy.

The bottom line? Get Vit. C and MSM to enhance your skin... If you have the money, C Ester is reported to have a more sustained benefit. But, if not, taking C helps the immune system and skin in the basic form.

Is this clear as mud? Phew! Too many brain cells used this early in the morning. Dancing
Ninetynine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:48 am      Reply with quote
I also bought the Wagner Ester C. Unfortunately, I checked the bottle tonight and it is not Ascorbyl Palmitate - darn!

I can only find Dr Perricone's Vitamin C Ester on-line in Australia,and they are only 250 mg capsules. They are quite expensive. Each bottle only has 60 capsules. Do we need to 1000mg of Vit C Ester per day or will a smaller dosage do? Otherwise, I will finish a bottle every 15 days!

I saw a lot more selection at Vitacost(?) but they don't ship to Australia Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:58 am      Reply with quote
1,000 mg is optimal for the best antioxidant & collagen-producing benefits. There must be a local source for you--a health food store or discount pharmacy?. I absolutely refuse to pay Perricone prices for something I can get at GNC or Walmart (wherever I happen to be at the time).

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Ninetynine wrote:
I also bought the Wagner Ester C. Unfortunately, I checked the bottle tonight and it is not Ascorbyl Palmitate - darn!

I can only find Dr Perricone's Vitamin C Ester on-line in Australia,and they are only 250 mg capsules. They are quite expensive. Each bottle only has 60 capsules. Do we need to 1000mg of Vit C Ester per day or will a smaller dosage do? Otherwise, I will finish a bottle every 15 days!

I saw a lot more selection at Vitacost(?) but they don't ship to Australia Sad

Yes, and I paid AUD$37.50 for the Wagner Ester-C. Its also difficult to find MSM in Australia - its always combined with glucosamine. I did find one brand which is a powder, Nutralife. It cost AUD$24.95 - the bottle is 12cm tall but when I opened it, there was only about 5cm of powder in it (100gms). So the bottle wasn't even one third full. Talk about deceptive packaging. I was going to take it back to the health food shop, but really it's not their fault. I also wanted to take hyaluronic acid tablets, but they're not available here also.

Ninetynine, if you come across a place to buy any of the above, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know.
chinachatters
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't mean to cloud issues.

REgular vitamin C (ascorbic acid) - 1000 units daily go with Dr. Pickart CP.

------------------

I mentioned Perricone, who is alive and rich, because earlier in the thread it seemed someone was talking about "Ester-C" the tradenamed supplement as if it were C-Ester the fat soluble ascorbyl palmitate. He has nothing to do with the CP, though.
kd
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
chinachatters wrote:
I didn't mean to cloud issues.

REgular vitamin C (ascorbic acid) - 1000 units daily go with Dr. Pickart CP.

------------------

I mentioned Perricone, who is alive and rich, because earlier in the thread it seemed someone was talking about "Ester-C" the tradenamed supplement as if it were C-Ester the fat soluble ascorbyl palmitate. He has nothing to do with the CP, though.

Absolutely. And just a note -- whether MSM is combined with Glucosamine or Chondroitin doesn't make a big ding dong difference. MSM is MSM. Plus if taken with either or both you get great benefits that science has proven will enhance joint capability -- i.e. - reduction of bone on bone. It's all good.
chinachatters
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip. I did find MSM, but nearly gave up because I didn't know the mixture was okay. Next time, I will.
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Smoky1: For clogged pores the best thing hands down is Differin gel. It's also an anti-aging product. In the states it's a RX product but you can get it on the net w/o a script. Alldaychemist.com has the best price. For an OTC product you need BHA's not AHA's.

Illustions:Most places want you to do a course of Obagi first then they might do a peel.
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |