Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I'm soooooo scared.....
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
mper1327
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hi guys, need to do a little venting.

My Grandma raised me since I was 4 years old. My grandma and grandpa were my mother and father. My grandpa died 4 years ago, but because, I guess, I still had my grandma, it didn't hurt as much.

My grandma, and the rest of my family, all live in Michigan. I now live in Connecticut. I miss them all terribly, and spent xmas with them last year.

My grandma hasn't been doing well these last few weeks. She's completely lost control of her bladder in the middle of the kitchen, in the living room, and doesn't even realize it. She also over the last week can't remember anyone in the family. She remembered me finally, but only after quite a bit of prodding.

They took her to the dr's, hoping it wasn't a stroke. They did a CT scan of her brain, and found a huge 6.3cm tumor in the left frontal lobe of her brain, with a 1.7cm one accompanying it. They admitted her into ICU. She now can't talk, but she seems to understand things on a basic level. They tried giving her a pad of paper on which to write when she became too frustrated, she wrote letters, but none of it made any sense. The neurologist believes that maybe she is relapsing with her colon cancer, and that's where this is originating, and why the tumor is growing so fast. Tomorrow she goes in for a full body CAT scan, to see if that is the case. If not, they are going to discuss operating on Monday.

I feel so helpless. I am so far away from my family, and I have to rely on waiting on pins and needles for my mom to call with updates. I am so SCARED that I won't be able to say goodbye. Where I work, they are very strict about absences, they even almost fired me because I had to take a week off of work to avoid something potentially life threatening. The General Manager is gone with a new baby, and the Front Office manager simply informed me that if she died, I have ONE DAY for bereavement purposes, and half that would probably be spent in the airport, not with my family.

I don't know what to do. I've found myself searching for airfare, but I don't know if they will fire me if I leave before she is dead.

She is 84, and I knew it was coming someday, but she is like my mom, she WAS my mom.....

Any advice? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
This isn't a moment in your life you would forgive yourself for missing, were you given the option. If your work simply will not allow you to go consider putting in your two weeks notice or simply quitting, and dealing with whatever reprecussions there are for that once your family matters are more settled.

Remember that you can always find another job. Family is more important.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
This is your mother you are talking about that you love dearly. Go!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
I also think you should go.
You will torture yourself for the rest of your life if you do not.
If possible can you take some vacation time or unpaid leave? If not I still think you should go.

Sorry for your pain,
Lucy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
I was in a similar position 2 years ago. I was extremely close to my grandma, her house was practically next door and she pretty much helped my mom raise us kids after my dad left. Then she had a stroke and was in the hospital. I only lived about 6 hours away but I was working on a big project at work, and we were working very long hours, even weekends. I did manage to take a weekend off to go home and visit with my grandma in the hospital, but she didn't know who I was. Then 2 weeks later I heard she wasn't doing well and they weren't sure if she would make it. We were trying to meet a deadline and I kept telling myself that she was strong and would get better. My mom kept telling me not to come home that grandma wouldn't know who I was anyway. My grandma passed away and I was basically a wreck for weeks after. I felt terribly guilty that I didn't just go be with her. And 2 years later I still feel terrible about it. So I say you should talk to your boss, tell them how important your grandma is to you and go be with her. If they won't give you the time off then give your notice. I would give anything to turn back time and to have been with my grandma when she passed.
qisme615
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Harmonster wrote:
This isn't a moment in your life you would forgive yourself for missing, were you given the option. If your work simply will not allow you to go consider putting in your two weeks notice or simply quitting, and dealing with whatever reprecussions there are for that once your family matters are more settled.

Remember that you can always find another job. Family is more important.

I totally agree.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds like you work for some real jerks. Bad Grin

You need to see your Grandmother.

I am sorry for your pain,
Winnie
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
This is a decision you'll have to make. I just don't want you to feel guilty later that you weren't there..believe me, I know how awful the feeling is. I left my Dad for a couple of hours and when I came back it was too late..he suffered & died without me there..he was alone. I've never forgiven myself & I never will. I deal with the guilt daily and it's 3 years now.

Besides, who wants to work for complete jackasses.
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
I am sorry for the grief you must feel. I won't give advice, but cite a few situations I have faced.

My mother and I lived on separate coasts when she was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer at age 62. The prognosis was poor. I was 33 years old, and my son was 5 years old. He had known my Mom as she took loving care of him as a baby when I worked. I worked at one of the largest credit unions in the country, in middle management. I went to my supervisor and asked if I could take my bereavement leave while my mother was alive. She went to H.R. on my behalf, and they said it had never been asked before, but, "yes." I took my son and we flew back to surprise her and spend a week. She was bedridden, but, the look on her face when we showed up at her bedroom door, was priceless. It was not easy for me when she died, 4 months later, not to go to the funeral, but, I had made an agreement with my employer. I had to weigh what mattered most to me, and, to this day, I am so glad I did it that way. Sadly, my siblings have held that choice against me, but, that's their issue, not mine.

Presently, I have a brother over 1000 miles away who is dealing with an awful recurrence of anal cancer. He is truly knocked down. I know what you mean about waiting to hear, on pins and needles. Sometimes, I turn my phone off for a day or two, just to give myself a break from the mental strain of NOT hearing. I have rallied all of my siblings on both coasts and have implemented duties for each person, so, in that way, I can help, and I do. This is actually why I don't spend as much time here in the past few months, just too much other important stuff going on. I talk to his creditors and I pay his bills. I try to do everything, or as much as I can. I know I'm doing all that I can, so, I am good with myself.

Lastly, my husband was very close to his Grandma. Her funeral was several hours away, and on the same day of my first chemotherapy session. He thought about it, and of course, wished he could do both, but he knew his Grandma would've told him to be with me on that day. So, he was, and he is completely good with it. Unfortunately, his relatives have held it against him. But, that's their own issue, not his.

I guess I'd say, in the end, you have to live with YOU. Weigh the various factors, use your best judgement as far as timing, and go with your heart. Trust me, an employer as you describe is NO loss. You might free yourself to work for someone who deserves you. Best thoughts to you; may you be at peace.
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
I feel terrible for you...your pain really comes across in your writing...Feeling trapped by your employer at a time when you need support is a terrrible thing...Follow your heart!
Take care,
pudoodles
mper1327
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I know that my boss represents all that is unholy, but other than that, I really love my job. It pays extremely well, plus full benefits. If I lost my job, I wouldn't even be able to pay for my meds for a month.

That is why I am so torn. I know I need to be with her, and I will hate myself forever if I don't go. But quitting a job that keeps your head above water is easier said than done. I may talk to the Front Office manager tomorrow about it, and see if they will cut me ANY slack......God, I really hope so. I really am at my wits end.....

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
mper1327 wrote:
Yes, I know that my boss represents all that is unholy, but other than that, I really love my job. It pays extremely well, plus full benefits. If I lost my job, I wouldn't even be able to pay for my meds for a month.

That is why I am so torn. I know I need to be with her, and I will hate myself forever if I don't go. But quitting a job that keeps your head above water is easier said than done. I may talk to the Front Office manager tomorrow about it, and see if they will cut me ANY slack......God, I really hope so. I really am at my wits end.....

Throughout your life you will both love and hate many jobs. You only have one grandmother. Been there and never regretted choosing my family over my job. But I HAVE constantly regretted the one time that, in my ignorance, I chose the job. GO!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
You have but one family! RUN!
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with everyone. You should go and see your grandma.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
Go with your heart girl. If your employer is that insensitive then that's not someone worth working hard for. It's maybe easy said than done. I wish everything works out for you at the end.
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sorry you are going through this. I went through a similar situation with my mother-in-law, and I'll always regret that I could not get there in time.

I don't think you need to quit, but I do think you need to go back to your manager, and stress how important this is to you. Don't quit, but be firm on needing more time off.

Good luck!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:03 am      Reply with quote
Ok, and update. They will probably be doing the surgery on Monday, unless the CAT scan says that the cancer is throughout her body. I will find out this by early this afternoon, I hope. She hasn't been able to say anything intelligible, except for yes and no sometimes. She tried writing on a pad of paper, but it was just jibberish. My mom and my aunt asked her if she wanted anything before she went into surgery, and she said yes several times, but couldn't elaborate. They tried the pad of paper again, and she wrote down my name. OHMYGOD. She can't even remember anyone else in the family, but she wrote that she wanted me. That absolutely did it. I booked myself for a Sunday afternoon flight, coming back tentatively on Tues or Wed, depending on how everything goes. I walked in today, told them of the heartwrenching note, and said whether they like it or not I am going. I did not ask, I TOLD! Bad Grin Do what they will, I have to be there for my grandma, like she was there for me all of those years......

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Om my gosh, my eyes are tearing up as I was reading that. Good for you, you won't regret going. I think it will give her strength knowing you are there. I hope your grandma's surgery goes well.
world~of~mirth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:34 am      Reply with quote
You are doing the right thing by seeing her. It is a horrible decision to have to make.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:39 am      Reply with quote
She made the decision for you
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:51 am      Reply with quote
Best of luck with the trip and surgery!

We will pray and hope for you!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Thank you all, I you guys.

My mom just called, and said that my grams is starting to make a turn for the worst, and they are waiting for the drs to come up to see her. I am really freaking out now, it's like, "Wait Grandma, I'm coming!!!" My mom said they still haven't said anything about last night's CAT scan results. Hopefully they will shortly. Please, please grandma, hold on Crying or Very sad

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:53 am      Reply with quote
I'm SO very sorry...It's such a hard thing to go through as it is and it doesn't help that your work is creating a more stressful situation. I think it's such a good thing that you're going to see her.

Have a very safe trip, and I'm thinking good thoughts for you and your lovely Grandma.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:23 am      Reply with quote
mper1327 wrote:

Any advice? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Go. Go now.

Edited to add that I just finished reading the entire thread. I'm so glad you've decided to go ... you'll NEVER regret it. You boss? How unfortunate. I understand the need to pay the bills and have health insurance (I wouldn't be able to pay for my med w/out it either) but in the long run it's your FAMILY who makes your heart beat.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:17 am      Reply with quote
I really can't wait.... I'm sitting here at work, freaking out. Every time my phone rings, my heart stops, thinking it's more news. And it's only one crisis after another with the guests that are calling, and I'm really in no mood. Unfortunately, I can't really leave, because I am the only reservationist for the weeked, and I have to be here to help with the check in rush. This just really sucks. Thank you guys so much for letting me vent, and for all of your well wishes and prayers. I just have to keep telling myself that I will make it in time, but the negative little monkey in my head is rattling the cage!

Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

EmerginC SPF 30  Tinted Broad Spectrum Sun Protector (125 ml / 4.4 oz) Dr Hauschka Foundation - 04 Hazelnut (30 ml / 1.0 floz) Institut Esthederm Intensive Propolis+ Zinc Serum-Lotion (130 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |