Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Help with Melasma
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Julie

Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:52 am      Reply with quote
here is my routine:

A.M.

wash with cool water
cellular skin Rx C+firming serum
coppertone oilfree for faces spf 30
make-up

P.M.

wash with dove to remove make-up
wash with MD Forte II
wait 20 minutes apply green cream

1 time a week I use epedermix microdermbrasion

I was thinking about asking Dr. for a Rx for skinoren/azelex, can i use this with green cream?
Does anyone have anymore recs? Also i am going to switch to Shisedo ss as i do not feel the coppertone is doing a good enough job blocking the sun as my spots seem to be getting darker. Thanks for any advice.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:54 am      Reply with quote
I'm sorry that I'm a retard, but what is Melasma??
Julie

Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
Your no dummy, it is brown spots on face caused by sun, hormones, pregnancy.....mine is from way too much sun exposure from my teens to present....I am 40 and in the past 6 months it has gotten bad...spots on cheeks and chin. I have stopped sunworshipping but now when I am out for any length of time the spots get darker.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry julie, I've only heard those spots refered to as age spots (yucky name huh?)

There are a lot of lines that offer whitening products. Decleor, Yonka and Darphin to name a couple.

I've never tried them b/c I'm only 25 but I have tried other products of theirs that are great. I hope you find something that works for you.

I'm sure someone on the board has tried these types of products and can help you better than I can. I'd look at the Decleor + Yonka on EDS...There's probably more that I'm missing too.
Julie

Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
These aren't really age spots....when women are pregnant they sometimes get them and it is called"pregnancy mask" hormones can cause them and overexposure to sun..as I said earlier mine are overexposure to sun, do a search for melasma and it will explain more, thank you so much for your help!
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
I quickly looked through a few proudcts and I remember seeing Yonka had one used for age spots AND pregnancy mask...

Let's see what others say!
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
Check with your derm and see if you can get a rx for triluma. Heard it works well for melasma.
Mabsy

Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:26 am      Reply with quote
Perhaps Skinceuticals Phyto+? There's been some review of it here. It seems to have worked very well for some and not so well for others. Might be worth to search and read through the old reviews.
SherriinCanada
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:03 am      Reply with quote
Hi Julie,

The Obagi line worked for me as well as covering my face when I am in the sun. I had melasma on my forever, cheeks and around my mouth and it is completely gone now.

Sherri
Julie

Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:12 am      Reply with quote
Thank you all for your help, I am seeing my female Dr. next friday and I plan on asking him for a Rx.
Skin Addict
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
Julie,
I've had melasma around my mouth and upper lip from birth control pills and had tried everything. I was able to get rid of the upper lip discoloration by taking MSM supplements. I like that you can actually see patches of the dark areas just go away until the area is clear, rather than the topical products that slowly fade the area.

I've tried almost every whitening product out there as well as microdermabrasion and the pulse laser therapy. Very expensive, minimal results for me.

Right now, topically I've gotten great results on a smudge that was on the left side of my mouth by using Murad's Age Spot and Pigment Lightening gel. I use it with Isa Knox's whitening moisturizer at night. For the daytime, I've been using Isa Knox's intensive whitening on my dark areas and DHC's moisturizer w/ arbutiin. I might try Peter Thomas Roth's power K lightening formula since I'm running out of Isa Knox's intesive whitening.

I top everything off with phytoderm's sunblock spf 100 and can honestly say that I'm pretty pleased with my skin to the point where I'm almost back to not having to wear concealer. I even went to Vegas last week and spent the afternoons by the pool (of course wearing a big hat and my spf 100) and I'm happy to report that there were no new dark smudges and the "trouble areas" weren't any darker.
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
I tried the MSM supplements for my discoloration too! Unfortunately, I got big time headaches from it and it also made me kind of shaky. Some have been helped immensely by it, but I just could not stand the headaches - no matter how much water I drank!

I'm so glad it worked for you!

Maria

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Maria V.,
I actually got headaches in the beginning as well. My sister does manual integrative therapy and basically told me it was because my liver was toxic from all the sugar I ate so the MSM was trying to clean it out and giving me headaches. I only took a couple of MSM pills a day in the beginning and cut back on sugar/caffeine. It took a couple of months to detox, but now I'm fine. I was lucky because I was seeing results on my face so it made me want to get through it.
Julie

Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:29 am      Reply with quote
What are MSM supplements?
Mabsy

Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:01 am      Reply with quote
Julie, MSM = methyl-sulfonyl-methane. I think effectively it's sulphur.
Julie

Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:32 am      Reply with quote
where do I get this and is it in pill form, or is it a topical?
Mabsy

Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
You can get MSM supplements from health food shops and chemists (drug stores) as well. Most commonly in the arthritis/bone supplement section as MSM is used to repair (I think) the cartilage. You can get it in various forms. I have powder at the moment that I just mix in with juice or water (whenever I remember anyway) but you can also get it in capsules.

If you need more info I'm pretty sure we have discussed MSM in a few of the previous threads. Do a search here for MSM and you should find a fair bit of info and feedback.
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
There's a website called msm-msm.com - and Kerry over at that site is an MSM expert. They can answer any questions you have.

They carry the pure MSM - which is definitely what you want for the best benefits, and the prices are GREAT!!!

They also have a topical MSM cream (Rich's MSM cream) which I love! I don't have melasma,but do have sun damage, and I think the MSM cream really helps calm your skin and makes it so soft. I use it every night and my skin feels great in the a.m.

Other side benefits people have reported when taking MSM (in addition to it's positive effects for arthritis) is great nails and hair, improved energy, clears up funguses, and a whole array of other stuff!!!

If you do take it, just start off slow so your body can adjust. Some people experience almost de-tox like symptoms as MSM helps get rid of any stored toxins that are in your body. You may experience headaches too, so make sure you drink plenty of water to keep them at bay.

xo Maria

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know lof any many skin care products that would work on melasma. May be IPL?

During my technical training with Palomar, they showed photos of successful cases treated by IPL. The trainer stressed that it might not work on all cases and it's a matter of trial and error. They should only be testing it on a small section of the patch for positive results before preceeding with the whole area.

Good luck.

PS IPL may work out to be cheaper than buying expensive skincare products that don't work.
blueeyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Julie,

I have tried a lot of the big brands, (Decleor,Dermalogica, La Prarie, MD (I Love their renewing serum for my skin though) but so far the only thing that has worked is Obagi.
I'm only on my third week so I'm not an expert, but my melasma is totally gone
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Mine has gotten a bit better using skinbiology copper peptides and Garden of Wisdom Chock Full O Vitamins serum. But I've done three dermarolls - one each of the past three months - and I think that made a big difference.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Mine has gotten a bit better using skinbiology copper peptides and Garden of Wisdom Chock Full O Vitamins serum. But I've done three dermarolls - one each of the past three months - and I think that made a big difference.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |