Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
ZO skin health from Obagi (a new product line4anti aging
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
I think it's just me but I can't find the part where he talks about moisturizers, could someone point it out to me? Thanks

Obagi Skin Health Restoration and Rejuvenation
By Zein E. Obagi
Pages 23-24

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks bethany and rileygirl!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
Thanks bethany and rileygirl!

Jom, here is the recent study that confirms Dr. O's theory:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=31227&highlight=

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, that's really interesting! Thanks so much for posting, Bethany, and for your input, Rileygirl. Cool Cool

I haven't used moisturiser for years, but sunblocks always seem to have emollients in them. The new Obagi one sounds great. Yay, Obagi! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
otherloulou wrote:
Yes, that's really interesting! Thanks so much for posting, Bethany, and for your input, Rileygirl. Cool Cool

I haven't used moisturiser for years, but sunblocks always seem to have emollients in them. The new Obagi one sounds great. Yay, Obagi! Very Happy

Let us know if you try the ZO sunscreen, loulou. It is really wonderful!
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
otherloulou: I think the chap from ZOSkinhealth mentioned you can get the products at Harrods.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
FYIguy (or anybody else) -
according to Dr Obagi, using moisturizers can accelerate aging, but I am wondering which ingredients in the moisturizers that he is warning against. Is it mainly mineral oils, petrolatum and certain vegetable oils? Glycerin?

What about body lotions and hand creams? They are usually high in oils and emollient ingredients. Is it a good idea to avoid these creams? Question

5% products discount

Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:

What about body lotions and hand creams? They are usually high in oils and emollient ingredients. Is it a good idea to avoid these creams? Question

that's what i was wondering as well
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
thats a great question my 2 bff just started NuDerm same age as me late 40's and I said you will never need moisterizer again except in the peeling phase then just a tad

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
FYIguy (or anybody else) -
according to Dr Obagi, using moisturizers can accelerate aging, but I am wondering which ingredients in the moisturizers that he is warning against. Is it mainly mineral oils, petrolatum and certain vegetable oils? Glycerin?

Here are the ingredients in ZO's Overnight Recovery Creme...I didn't realize that Dr. O recommended using it EVERY night. Shock That seems a bit counter-intuitive to the "cut back on moisturizers" mantra. I am using it only when really needed, and no more than 2x a week.

Hopefully Justin or Donna can fill us in.

Quote:
Overnight Recovery Crème

How To Use:
Dr. Obagi recommends applying every PM. Ommerse™ Overnight Recovery Crème should be used after Ossential™ Radical Night Repair to help calm and soothe skin.

Ingredients
Aqua (Water), Dimethicone, Biosaccharide Gum-4, Stearic Acid, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Glycerin, Shea Butter Oleyl Esters, Squalane, Caprylic/Capric/Myristic/Stearic Triglyceride, Hydrogenated Coco-Glycerides, Retinol, Retinyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterols, Lecithin, Linoleic Acid, Arachidyl Alcohol, Evodia Rutaecarpa Fruit Extract, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Epilobium Angustifolium Extract, Cetyl Alcohol, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil Unsaponifiables, Polysorbate 20, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Trehalose, Ceramide 2, Phospholipids, Glyceryl Stearate, Behenyl Alcohol, Polyacrylate-13, Polyisobutene, PEG-100 Stearate, Arachidyl Glucoside, Micrococcus Lysate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hexylene Glycol.

I figured I would go ahead and add the ZO body lotion too....

Quote:
Oraser™ Body Emulsion

How To Use:
Dr. Obagi recommends massaging all over body AM and PM. For maximum anti-aging benefits, use as part of a ZO Skin Health™ Program.

IngredientsAqua (Water), Lactic Acid, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Pentylene Glycol, Isoicosane, Dimethicone, Dipentaerythrityl Hexa C5-9 Acid Esters, Sodium Hydroxide, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Tridecyl Stearate, Neopentyl Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Retinol, PEG-100 Stearate, Sodium Lauroyl Glutamate, Glucosamine HC1, Algae Extract, Yeast Extract (Faex), Urea, Allyl Methacrylates Crosspolymer, Polysorbate 20, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil Unsaponifiables, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Diacetyl Boldine, Ergothioneine, Acetyl Tyrosine, Proline, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, AdenosineTriphosphate, Beta-Glucan, Ubiquinone, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disodium EDTA, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Geraniol, Parfum.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe Dr. O means moisturizers without active ingredients? I wonder if the % of retinol and retinyl palmitate in the ZO product upgrades it to a "treatment" product rather than just a moisturizer.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
Maybe Dr. O means moisturizers without active ingredients? I wonder if the % of retinol and retinyl palmitate in the ZO product upgrades it to a "treatment" product rather than just a moisturizer.

The Overnight Recovery Creme is classified as a calming product, while I think the Oraser body lotion is considered to be a treatment.

I sent a PM to Donna asking her send Justin on over to help us out.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:54 am      Reply with quote
Bethany Iam also interested in this answer because I would like to know the difference in the ORC and the Growth Factor Serum and how and when they should be used for the maintenance part since this could be a new moisterizer question

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:16 am      Reply with quote
Just my 2 cents. I don't think that Dr. Obagi feels that all moisturizers are inherently bad. It seems that he is talking about people who overuse the moisturizers, and do nothing to stimulate their skin cells. I will be interested in FYIguys response, as well!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:23 am      Reply with quote
red head wrote:
Bethany Iam also interested in this answer because I would like to know the difference in the ORC and the Growth Factor Serum and how and when they should be used for the maintenance part since this could be a new moisterizer question

Red, the ORC and the GFS are VERY different.

- The ORC is used to "Calm & Nourish" which focuses on protecting the skin barrier and calming irritation (though it does have a bit of retinol on it too)

- The GFS is used to "Stimulate" by boosting collagen and stimulating cellular function. It does have some calming peptides in it, but that is not the primary function.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
red head wrote:

Red, the ORC and the GFS are VERY different.

- The ORC is used to "Calm & Nourish" which focuses on protecting the skin barrier and calming irritation (though it does have a bit of retinol on it too)

- The GFS is used to "Stimulate" by boosting collagen and stimulating cellular function. It does have some calming peptides in it, but that is not the primary function.

So for nightly use GFS and ORC when you feel the need. Others may be interested in this also. That is what I thought also but wanted to be sure

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
red head wrote:
So for nightly use GFS and ORC when you feel the need. Others may be interested in this also. That is what I thought also but wanted to be sure

Exactly. Smile

I use the GFS every night, and the ORC maybe once or twice a week, max. And some weeks not at all!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

This is a big subject, and one not easily addressed in just one post. So if it's OK with you, I'll address this in several parts.

1. Why are moisturizers harmful? What's the problem?
2. Are all moisturizers equally harmful? Are certain ingredients problematic? Is it true that moisturizers can destroy the natural moisture barrier in your skin?
3. Why does ZO have products that are moisturizing, and use ingredients like glycerin, capric/caprylic triglyceride, dimethicone, and isopropyl palmitate. Why are they called Calm and Nourish products?
4. How do you break the moisturizer * spam alert *?

Dr. Obagi likes to make the analogy that moisturizers are like dessert. They're a treat for the skin. So are desserts harmful? It depends on how they're used/abused. Similarly, it's not the use of moisturizers that is harmful, but the abuse of moisturizers that causes problems.

Skin is made of three critical elements - water, protein and lipids. These three need to be kept in balance. But the environment attacks our skin, and robs it of its natural moisture. Every day, under normal circumstances, your skin will lose about 8 oz. of water, causing the skin to feel dry, tight, cracked and damaged. Simply put, your skin is thirsty, and craves replenishment. With healthy skin, like when you're a baby, your skin will be satiated by consuming the water supplied from the food you eat and water that you drink. But when you apply a moisturizer, your skin takes the quick and easy and obvious solution, and sucks it up. Within seconds, literally, the cells in the stratum corneum will consume the moisture, swell, and be plumped.

So what's the problem? One or all of the following:

1. Your skin cells have ceased to function the way that nature intended. They become lazy, inactive, slow the production of collagen and elastin within the dermis and then the signs of aging are accelerated. Healthy skin needs to be active! Your skin needs a regular "work out", and having moisturizers do the work is not doing your skin any favors.

2. Your skin becomes addicted. You may have noticed this with some lip products, that can behave similarly. With repeated use, your lips can become dependent on the petrolatum, and actually become dryer.

3. When your skin is dry, it loses its ability to exfoliate the skin cells in the stratum corneum (this process is called desquamation). When this happens, the dead cells accumulate, and your skin looks dull and dry. If you use a moisturizer to alleviate the dryness without addressing the underlying issue, the result can be a further compacted stratum corneum - essentially compounding the problem and increasing reliance on moisturizers.

4. Your skin can have acquired sensitivity. Almost 70% of women complain of having "sensitive skin" (although they weren't born with this condition), and consider this almost like an honor. In fact, it is a sign that their skin is out of balance – not in a healthy state. “Sensitive skin” is reactive often because it is not active enough regularly.

So yes, moisturizers used improperly can be damaging to the skin. They can slow cellular function, harm the skin's protective barrier, and cause skin to become reactive instead of active.

Does this mean that all moisturizers are inherently bad? Should everyone immediately stop using moisturizers? This is not what is being suggested. I’ll begin composing the next round of this answer and get it to you soon.

In the mean time, I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Justin Morgan
Vice President of Research and Development
ZO Skin Health, Inc.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks...I am very much looking forward to the rest!

FYIguy wrote:

4. Your skin can have acquired sensitivity. Almost 70% of women complain of having "sensitive skin" (although they weren't born with this condition), and consider this almost like an honor. In fact, it is a sign that their skin is out of balance – not in a healthy state. “Sensitive skin” is reactive often because it is not active enough regularly.

I stopped using moisturizers when I did my 2 week stint on Nu Derm, and haven't used them much at all since. I felt a bit dry at the beginning, but it has definitely corrected itself and I don't feel that way any more.
Now if I can just kill the Blistex * spam alert *, sigh. Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for the explanation, Justin. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
On my maintenance I only feel the need for moisterizer if I have peeled from the Retin A otherwise my "sensative" or so I was told skin feels normal during the day it is fine and well balanced. Its very cold here and the heat is drying so I may add the ORC to my pm routine as needed. I hear you on the Blistex my weapon of choice is Carmex

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
Looking forward to the next installment of Justin's explanations.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the informative post, Justin. I, as well, can't wait to read the next installment!
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
Justin, thank you for such an interesting and useful info! I can find all signs of moisturizer * spam alert * with my skin and lips Sad
waiting for the sequel!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:51 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Thanks for the informative post, Justin. I, as well, can't wait to read the next installment!

Waiting also thanks Justin Surprised

Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:06 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |