Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
My Obagi experience
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:18 am      Reply with quote
dianew wrote:

hmm... could be, now that you mention it - as even when I've been brave & used retin a nearer to my eyes I still have the reverse red panda effect going on... & never use the Exfo Forte in that area... perhaps I need to experiment with every other day with that one first - thanks Very Happy

dianew, report back please if that seems to help you. I have never liked either of the Exfoderm products (though I know for some people that is their favorite product out of the bunch!), and I really think that is the culprit of everyone's redness (or the Sunfader if people use that).
Qwackertoo
5% products discount

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:04 am      Reply with quote
angelofthenorth wrote:
Quackertoo: I forgot to ask you how you think the clarisonic has helped you with the obagi system?

angelofthenorth, oops I missed this post. I think it has helped because it really cleans and removes the flakes so the Obagi products can reach the skin and go to work. The first few days, when I hadn't started using the Clarisonic with Obagi, when I went to the step of putting on sunscreen, in the 10X mirror I was shocked at how the whiteness of the sunscreen just sat on all that flaky skin, especially on cheeks and chin. That is when I thought I need to get rid of those flakes and the only thing that has helped has been using the Clarisonic twice a day even though the flakes usually re-appear slightly in the late afternoon.

Also one morning, before using the Clarisonic, early on when I was feeling really itchy and scratchy, I was sitting in bed watching tv playing on the laptop and would just rub a little on my face and the flakes on my black top were numerous.

Hope this helps.
Qwackertoo
5% products discount

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:08 am      Reply with quote
angelofthenorth wrote:
Qwackertoo wrote:
fongflyer5 wrote:
angleofthenorth, I only do OCM twice a week, I find they suggest you massage from 3 minutes minimum but I find you end up staring at the clock, it seems to take forever for time to tick over. But I did find it was the massaging that seem to loosen up the blackhead and help them to come to the surface easier. I have to agree with you Obagi was the only product that really improved my skin.

What is OCM? Thanks!

Hi Quackertoo, OCM stands for oil cleansing method. I've never tried it but I am interested in it though.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=7077

A long time ago, a couple of years, I bought some cleansing oil, from Garden of Wisdom or some place like that, and tossed it, just couldn't get use to the idea of cleansing my face with oil.
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:25 am      Reply with quote
Quackertoo: Thanks for the feedback, I'm virually dancing inside with excitement waiting for my clarisonic, I hope it arrives soon!

I was reading the ingredients list on my obagi SPF50 sun shield and noticed it contains octinoxate opposed to titanium, doesn't this make it a mix of both a physical and chemical sunscreen? Is this still ok to use with obagi? I thought we could only use physical ss with it?Confused
Qwackertoo
5% products discount

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:32 am      Reply with quote
angelofthenorth wrote:
Quackertoo: Thanks for the feedback, I'm virually dancing inside with excitement waiting for my clarisonic, I hope it arrives soon!

I was reading the ingredients list on my obagi SPF50 sun shield and noticed it contains octinoxate opposed to titanium, doesn't this make it a mix of both a physical and chemical sunscreen? Is this still ok to use with obagi? I thought we could only use physical ss with it?Confused

Is the SPF 35 that comes in the kit chemical or combo too? I thought only the SPF 32 was physical? I went to my check up on Monday and they offered to sell me some of the 32 for our upcoming cruise to AK, but it was 40 something bucks, I thought I'll buy it off the internet instead. They thing even when this doctors office has 20% off, then there is 9.5% local tax that pretty much kills the savings.
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:40 am      Reply with quote
Qwackertoo wrote:
angelofthenorth wrote:

Is the SPF 35 that comes in the kit chemical or combo too? I thought only the SPF 32 was physical? I went to my check up on Monday and they offered to sell me some of the 32 for our upcoming cruise to AK, but it was 40 something bucks, I thought I'll buy it off the internet instead. They thing even when this doctors office has 20% off, then there is 9.5% local tax that pretty much kills the savings.

I just checked the ingredients on the box and it appears to be a mix of both chemical and physical.

I find it difficult to understand how with a texture like that, the spf35 can be both physical and chemical. I also don't understand why obagi would include the mixed ss in the kit if we are supposed to use a physical one?
PamL

Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
I just started using the decollatage skin lightener on my face in the a.m. and mixed with retinoin in the p.m. This product is virtually identical to the Blender (Blender has some anti-oxidants; I use 20% C serum so I'm not so concerned about missing the small amount of anti-oxidants that Blender has in it); it's also almost the same as the Clear, with a few more ingredient variations than with the Blender. I've looked up the differing ingredients and they appear to be rather benign components common in most cosmetics.
For me, the 4% HQ (hydroquinone)is clearly the product that makes my face red and after 3 days, I've started flaking like crazy. Prior to this, I had not been using the 4% HQ products and the Exfoderm was causing modest flaking. I wish now I would have started with HQ from the beginning. Kind of feel like I've gotten off to a slow start by not including it four weeks ago.
The good thing is though, I have a better understanding of how the HQ is affecting my skin, something I wouldn't have known had I started all products at the same time.
I'm hoping that I won't be in this excessive red/flaking phase too long. It makes me really self-conscious out in public, knowing skin is literally peeling off my face all the time.

5% products discount

Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
angelofthenorth wrote:
Qwackertoo wrote:
angelofthenorth wrote:

I just checked the ingredients on the box and it appears to be a mix of both chemical and physical.

I find it difficult to understand how with a texture like that, the spf35 can be both physical and chemical. I also don't understand why obagi would include the mixed ss in the kit if we are supposed to use a physical one?

I don't know either so I figure I'll go with the SPF 50 I bought off Amazon and since I bought two of them I'm not going to buy more before vacation.
Qwackertoo
5% products discount

Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
PamL wrote:

I'm hoping that I won't be in this excessive red/flaking phase too long. It makes me really self-conscious out in public, knowing skin is literally peeling off my face all the time.

At least this time of year people will think you worked out in your garden too long or recently returned from the beach or some other excess of sun exposure vs. in the middle of winter and looking all flaky and peely.
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
PamL, it's great that you have things worked out now. Unfortunately the flaking is one of those side effects that persist. The clear is very drying on it's own, together with the combination of the other products being used, your face is constantly being subjected to the cell renewal process of the Obagi protocol.
PamL

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
I'm having a hard time following these blog threads, not really done this before, but thank you everyone for sharing your Obagi experiences. Sounds like everyone's experience varies somewhat, probably depending on their personal skin condition.
I am 55 years old, with very fair skin. I don't have dark spots, acne or major skin issues. When I started menopause, I began noticing redness around my center face/nose/mouth/chin area. I also have what I assumed to be permanent redness in my decolletage area that I neglected protect with sunscreen.
My goal with Obagi is to bring a new freshness to my skin, smooth some wrinkles and hopefully fade the redness in my center face and decolletage area. I'm in week 6 and so far am happy with the results. As I just started with the HQ lightening products a little over a week ago, it's probably too soon to see a difference in those red areas.
Can anyone provide an opinion on how long the redness from the products should last and when to expect the peeling to stop. Though I take the peeling as a positive sign the products are working, I am so excited to get to the stage where I (and others) notice a renewed look in my complexion.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
PamL, I know these threads are sometimes a bit hard to follow, but it's great to see you are still logging in to read them. The information and personal experiences you receive from others are a great help.

How long it takes for the redness/peeling to last for is a individual thing. There is no set time frame when it will get better or even stop. Unfortunately everyone skin reacts differently. As you have only just started to incorporate the HQ into your routine, be expected for the redness/peeling to continue. HQ is a very drying product and as such will only add to the dryness you are experiencing.

I wish I could give you some positive encouragement, but remember you are so far, happy with the results. It's a journey using Obagi, so just keep traveling along!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Pam,
The redness and peeling could very well go on the entire time. It's often an on-off situation.

Your skin does become acclimated to the products so you will have some non-peely days to look forward to!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
soooooo ladies...

I'm starting week 18 tomorrow, and, while I intend to go with the full routine until the start of August (apart from alternating days with the Exfo Forte after week 18 is done, to see if it minimises redness) I'm starting to think about maintenance routines.

I've read a few threads (more than a few probably...) & realise that what will work differs from individual to individual, but wanted to ask veteran Obagians to share their maintenance routines here?

I guess it's a good idea to continue with nightly e retin-a, rather than the "2-5 times per week" I've previously read about, but don't want to overdo the hydroquinone long term... what with using clear 2-3 times a week. Does anyone just use the retin-a every night, and, say, the blender mixed in just twice a week instead of every night?

I'm camping for a week (including going to a festival) at the start of August, hence not thinking it's practical to do the full routine while in a tent (possibly in the mud but hey-ho). Has anyone managed a pared-down routine while living in a field for a bit? Smile I was thinking maybe just the retin-a at night would do? And sunscreen of course in the day

Still hoping for changes in the next 5 weeks - I remain very red of face, but even so can still see brown & red patches on my cheeks that aren't shifting, though skin tone overall is (seems!) much better...

how's everyone else doing?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Diane,
Can you believe you're already at the 18 week mark?? I think it goes pretty quickly once you've settled into the routine.

Anyway, maintenance...It's kind of a trial and error thing -- like you mentioned. My "main stay" products are Clear, Blender, and retin a.

When I first started on maintenance, I still used Clear a.m. and p.m. nearly everyday. As you know, old habits are hard to break! While adding Blender/retin a 4-5 times per week.

Now, I use the products about 3 times per week in the p.m. only and sometimes use other products on the "off" days. Right now, I'm trying out some of the Ole Henriksen line.

And, of course, I use sunscreen daily -- rain or shine! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Diane: Congratulations on getting this far!!! I hope you can stop the redness with your plan.

I'm now in week 8 and I'm also thinking about maintenance regimes. Initially I wanted to try and stick it out for 24 wks, now I'm having second thoughts. My skin tone has really evened out, there are only four areas that need a little more work and I'm thinking that if I stay on the full programme for that long, my face will get too light.

When I had my consultation, I was told that I should use the full programme for 12 wks. I was never told about the maintenance element of obagi. I will wait and see how things appear when I get to wk 12 and then decide whether to continue for a few more weeks.

I'm really hoping that I can get away with maintaining my results by just using retin a and sunscreen then do an annual 6-12 wk cycle. I plan to keep clear, blender and exfoderm forte to hand just in case I need to incorporate them. In that case I will try to minimise the clear and blender to a couple of times a week and will opt for the FX instead of the RX.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Angel,
I think that sounds like an excellent plan! During the maintenance phase, less is definitely more. I think the most important thing you can do to maintain your results is to use sunscreen day in and day out! Cool

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi angleofthenorth and dianew, I would agree with kims, maintenance is a matter of trial and error. The mainstream products for me are also, the clear, blender with the retin A. I use these 3 to 4 times a week. I use the clear in the AM and the blender/retin A in the PM. If my skin starts to look like it needs a bit more help, then I start to use in the clear in the PM also. I find the clear alone helps more to fade problem areas. I still use the Exfo Forte. I find an AHA product helps my skin to look a bit brighter.

If my skin starts to look red I stop the retin A. It's so hard to find an exact routine that works, I adjust as I go depending on how my skin looks. Initially I started to get a bit tired of doing the Obagi routine but now it just become a habit, especially as I didn't get any results from other products.
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks kims and fongflyer5 Smile

I thought I'd share with you guys, my Mum has started obagi. Her face is really red and she has complained about the burning, wrinkles and peelies. I've told her to cut out the sunfader and the exfoderm forte, she says the exfoderm is the one that burns her on application so she doesn't want to continue with that, so I've inherited a free exfoderm forte Cool I told her she may want to try the normal exfoderm but she doesn't seem to want to go there Laughing

I told my Mum she should still get the results without the exfoderm forte or the sunfader, sure enough, after 4 days her melasma has started to fade, her freckles are still there though.
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
I've decided that I hate the NIA24 ss, I've noticed that it leaves a strange cast over my face (not quite white, a little iridescent, almost grey), it also seems to have really clogged up my pores too, not even the obagi healthy sun protection spf35 did that and I found that to be horrid!

I have started using the obagi sunshield spf50 and so far so good, no cast, doesn't dry me out or make me look oily. I'm liking it.

Today I tried to use the NIA24 on my body instead, big mistake! That iridescent cast transferred onto my my brown leather purse and you could see it on my chest and arms Embarassed

Oh well, at least I can say I've tried it and it's not for me. I still want to try burnout eco sensitive, devita and soleo organics before I can say which one is my HG, obagi spf50 is definitely up there for the moment.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Angel,
I tend to like the Obagi 50 the best right now too. Rileygirl started a thread on Neova and it sounds like it may be something to try as well.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hi Angel,
I tend to like the Obagi 50 the best right now too. Rileygirl started a thread on Neova and it sounds like it may be something to try as well.

Thanks kims, I'll check it out Smile My list gets longer and longer Laughing
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
angelofthenorth wrote:
kims wrote:
Hi Angel,

Thanks kims, I'll check it out Smile My list gets longer and longer Laughing

Isn't that the truth!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
angleofthenorth,

Isn't that wonderful that your Mum has obviously noticed a change in your skin that encouraged her to try Obagi! Obagi has made some difference to your skin. That's so positive. The exfoderm forte can be too aggressive for some people especially if they are using all the other products in the Nuderm range.

As for sunscreens, I'm still constantly trying to perfect one. Despite avoiding the sun, being diligent with using a physical sunscreen, my face is still a few shades darker than my neck. No matter what I do I still can't avoid getting a incidental tan on my face.
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:22 am      Reply with quote
fongflyer5 wrote:
angleofthenorth,

Isn't that wonderful that your Mum has obviously noticed a change in your skin that encouraged her to try Obagi! Obagi has made some difference to your skin. That's so positive. The exfoderm forte can be too aggressive for some people especially if they are using all the other products in the Nuderm range.

I know it's great. I called her today and she says the redness has eased up and she can really see the difference already, on one side of her cheek the melasma has almost vanished and on the other side it has significantly reduced.

fongflyer5 wrote:
As for sunscreens, I'm still constantly trying to perfect one. Despite avoiding the sun, being diligent with using a physical sunscreen, my face is still a few shades darker than my neck. No matter what I do I still can't avoid getting a incidental tan on my face.

My Mum's new thing now is to find her HG sunscreen, she's got me on the case Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |