Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My Obagi experience
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi Barbie,
Check your products that contain hydroquinone; they should have an expiration date on them: Clear, Sunfader, etc. Also, your tretinoin should have a date on it too. This might give you a time frame for the whole kit.

Also, I just recently received a new bottle of Clear and it doesn't expire until 2012.

It does sound like your skin is reacting to the products, however. I hope this time around proves to be better for you!

Let us know how you're doing and welcome to the forum!

Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:11 am      Reply with quote
thanks thanks thanks.. this is great, I checked the expiration date on the hydroquinone products (why did I not think about it?!?!) and they expire 02/2011, so I guess I am good to go... the tretinoin 0.05 I got separately from the dermatologist apparently expired on 01/2010 but I think it still has a pretty good effect... I started peeling very slightly around my mouth.. so it looks like it is working and maybe - hopefully - skin got shocked the first time and now it knows what's coming... I will keep you posted... thanks again and have a wonderful day..

Since I am here, another question: the dermatologist originally told me to do the following when I started with tretinoin: 1 week use tretinoin only once, 2 week use tretinoin twice and doubling until I ended up using it every day.. I never got to that point so I am using it now every 2/3 days.. should I just got for the every day straight away? what's your experience? thanks again

have a lovely day
Barbie

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:37 am      Reply with quote
Barbie, when I started Nuderm I have not used tretinoin before and I just went ahead and used it everyday. The derm probably told you that to slowly get you used to the tretinoin and minimize the side effects. When I started I had all the reactions typical for Nuderm, redness, flaking, tightness. I guess if you feel brave enough you can start using it everyday and then just back off a bit if you don't like the side effects associated with it. HTH.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi Barbie,
I agree with Moosej. I also started using the Blender/retin a every night first off. However, I started with the 0.025% and then slowly moved up to the 0.05%. Just see how it goes!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
Same here Barbarella, I started full force with the program, with 01% Retin-A, every day, every night until I chickened out a while ago (4th week). Mind you, I have an olive oil complexion and thought that my skin would endure the program, but wrong was I. I would think someone with fair complexion should be more careful.
I would say introduce a little bit more at a time and see how your skin reacts and don't be afraid when you see some wrinkles showing more like I did, it's just dryness; that would be a sign to slow down a bit. Have some Aquaphor and/or baby rash ointment ready.
Lissavitc

Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi PattiK,

Wow, it has been a long time. I continue to use the Dermesse products (love the results) and now have several of my friends using it. They were Obagi users.
As an update, Dermesse now has tretinoin and it is less expensive than Obagi.
I am trying their new Eye Cream for dark circles and bags and their new Sugar Scrub. I'll let you know if I like these Dermesse products.

Lissavitc
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Lissa,

Great you are using something similar to Obagi with results. I am ecstatic with my outcome so far and yes, it is expensive but I think of all the money I have spent in my life in cosmetic products and procedures this has been worth 10 times over. That means to purchase the Clear around $80 dollars x month at least, but yet I will save on make up base and blush for the tomato face complements of the Exfoderm Laughing

I see Dermesse can only be purchased through a doctor? and only in the US? Sad
Lissavitc

Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Margarett,

Yeah, the Dermesse has the same six steps as Obagi. I guess they can keep the price down because they are the manufacturer, so my doctor tells me. I just paid $68 for my Dermesse HQ lightener.

Lissa
barbarella

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:56 am      Reply with quote
dear margaret, kim and moosej,
thanks a lot, I eventually started peelin, which is a good sign, but it is nothing that scary at it was last year.. I think this experience is going to be a good one... thanks again, I will keep you posted.... Barbie

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
barbarella wrote:
dear margaret, kim and moosej,
thanks a lot, I eventually started peelin, which is a good sign, but it is nothing that scary at it was last year.. I think this experience is going to be a good one... thanks again, I will keep you posted.... Barbie

Thanks for the update, Barbie! Hopefully, this time around will be MUCH better for you!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
Here is an update for week 7

Well, I keep peeling around my mouth and chin, not as bad as before but still and now I am even peeling around my cheeks at the sides of my ears. When I wear make up it's not a nice sight. I just applied make up and I think I am going to remove the whole thing, it looks better without it. My skin looks much better without it.

One thing that has amazed me is that I used to have a big, huge scar on top of my nose, an acne scar and it has diminished sooooooooo much and also my pores have diminished. The hyper-pigmentation is almost gone completely and get this one: I am not wearing concealer at all!!!!! I don't need it!! yeah!!!!!!! with the make up I did not need to apply any concealer, but now that I will remove it (the make-up), maybe I will need some, I don't know, but if I need it, it will only be just one application, before, I was using up to 2 or three kinds or even 4 kinds!!!
Now, if just all these flakes go away ....grrrr!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Margarett,
Sounds like you're making a lot of progress in a relatively short period of time. That's great!

The flakiness will probably hang around most of the time, but it kind of comes and goes; some days are better than others.

Make up is kind of hard to figure out when you're peeling, but it's also great that you're able to cut down on the concealer. We can't complain about having less to conceal! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:44 am      Reply with quote
Kims, I don't think I can take so many months with these crazy peeling. I am counting the weeks I have to go through this fancy new look Very Happy
I am going to switch to another form of tretinoin. Look at me now, and I used to laugh about Retin-A, I even used Tazorac which had no peeling from it! Embarassed
barbarella

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:39 am      Reply with quote
hey Margarett, well done.. i cannot wait to be at your stage... now: a questions is spontaneous... do you actually apply obagi around the eyes? i normally arrive up to the level of the dark circles... but maybe I should be applying the products everywhere... any comments appreciated... thanks and well done...

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Hi Barbarella,

I've heard that you are supposed to put some products around the eyes: Clear, Blender/Retin-A, and I think Sunfader too, except Exfoderm and Toner.
I started slow because Retin-A in the past has created wrinkles under and around my eyes.
What I did was that I applied Clear and Sunfader when I thought it was safe under my eyes at some point and wow!!! my under eye circles started to fade... but then my upper lids were much darker than the rest of my face then I applied them on my upper lids, then slowly started incorporating the Retin-A/Blender. I am watching closely that area and if I start seeing some wrinkles appearing that were not there before I will stop the Retin-A/Blender for sure; the Clear and Sunfader I will continue for my eyes because that's a main issue for me, to lighten those areas, and I've seen a major improvement there.

In your case, I will go very slow too with the Retin-A for the eyes and even more if you have fair skin and thin skin there, my skin is darker and not very thin this is why I can take more abuse. First, see how bad is your skin going to take all these products for your other face area and proceed with caution. The feeling of seeing your face with new wrinkles is vary scary and discouraging. I am no expert, Barbarella, but it is just my opinion on what I've experienced with retinoids in general.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
margarett wrote:
Kims, I don't think I can take so many months with these crazy peeling. I am counting the weeks I have to go through this fancy new look Very Happy
I am going to switch to another form of tretinoin. Look at me now, and I used to laugh about Retin-A, I even used Tazorac which had no peeling from it! Embarassed

Margarett,
What different form of tretinoin are you going to switch to?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
Kims, I was thinking about Avene Retrinal that moosejavian mentioned somewhere. I have forgotten to order it, but I will do it very soon and will let you girls know how it goes. I don't think I can continue with these flakes for 18 weeks, although I like the way my skin looks from faaaaaaaaaar away...hahaha Laughing
moosejavian
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
Margarett and Kim, the retrinal cream info is on the skincaremd website. It is non prescription. I just read the ingredients though, it has mineral oil in it, I thought mineral oil is not good for the skin? I also can't find the page where it talked about using it instead of RA for the Nuderm system. I was going to post it here but I guess I'm too tired to look for it right now.
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
Ok moosejavian, no Retrinal for me. I'm stuck with the regular Retin-A.
moosejavian
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
Margarett, don't take my word about the mineral oil, maybe someone else can chime in. The people at skincaremd website say it's an option, so maybe it's not so bad???? I really don't know.
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
It's ok moosejavian. It does say it contain mineral oil and I don't trust vaseline and alike. I'm just going to reduce the use of Retin-A, instead of every day, I will skip one day. It's just too much peeling for me. I'll try this week my way and report next week Very Happy

Cheers!
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:08 am      Reply with quote
Here is some information I found about using Obagi from Zo skin health; thought I would share.

http://www.zoskinhealth.com/blog/2009/10/when-looking-in-the-mirror-aint-that-great/
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 03, 2010 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
Obagi sisters, I need some encouragement here. I donīt like myself when I look at the mirror. I mean, I like my tone color, itīs all good from faaaaar away Razz but when I look close into the mirror OMG! itīs an old lady staring at me. My skin looks so dry. I cut down on the Exfoderm and Retin A and still. I donīt know what to do.
Please, please, tell me whatīs happening. The peeling is all over my face, itīs not red and flaring anymore, Iīve got that under control, but just flaky. Is that good? I want to think that itīs old skin and new skin is going to grow... wishful thinking. Do I need to exfoliate? If so, which one do you recommend? Rileygirl, kims, please. I have some Clarins gentle exfoliator and Estee Lauder Idealist microdermabration that I love but I donīt know if it would be too strong.
Should I buy the Obagi one?
Iīm weak now Sad
moosejavian
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 03, 2010 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
Margarett, yes early on most days we really looked like plastic wrapped and flaky, whether in sheets or tiny bits all over. You can stand in the shower and use your hands to exfoliate. Some have used a microfiber cloth or the clarisonic face brush. I think it was Kim who suggested mixing cleanser and exfoderm and using that to wash off the flakes. I am not sure about which Obagi product you are talking about for the exfoliation though. I think the general rule is not to use other products while doing Nuderm. Hang in there!!!! This is all part of the journey!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 03, 2010 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
margarett wrote:
Obagi sisters, I need some encouragement here. I donīt like myself when I look at the mirror. I mean, I like my tone color, itīs all good from faaaaar away Razz but when I look close into the mirror OMG! itīs an old lady staring at me. My skin looks so dry. I cut down on the Exfoderm and Retin A and still. I donīt know what to do.
Please, please, tell me whatīs happening. The peeling is all over my face, itīs not red and flaring anymore, Iīve got that under control, but just flaky. Is that good? I want to think that itīs old skin and new skin is going to grow... wishful thinking. Do I need to exfoliate? If so, which one do you recommend? Rileygirl, kims, please. I have some Clarins gentle exfoliator and Estee Lauder Idealist microdermabration that I love but I donīt know if it would be too strong.
Should I buy the Obagi one?
Iīm weak now Sad

margarett, how many weeks are in to the regimen now?

The dryness and flaking is a very normal part of the system. You will be that way off and on as your skin improves from the inside out (so to speak). You can use anything that is gentle to exfoliate your skin. I always tell people to stand in the shower with their faces under the water and use your fingers to gently massage the dead skin off. You can use the ZO exfoliating polish, a microfiber cloth, etc. Just be gentle with your skin. HTH!
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross BģAdaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinÂŪ |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |