Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Institut Esthederm Derm Repair Restructuring Serum (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Obagi ELASTIderm Eye  Cream (15 g / 0.5 oz)
Niacinamide!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:36 am      Reply with quote
With all the talk about how great niacinamide is for skin, I ordered some from garden of wisdom. I ordered 1 oz of niacinamide powder.

Is anyone making stuff using niacinamide? What are your experiences and recipes?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:49 am      Reply with quote
This was a fairly active thread a while back that might be of interest;

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=29720

I believe 'Keliu' has made some creams with niacinamide, so maybe she'll chime in.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know the difference between niacinamide, nicotinamide, and nicotinic acid?

The Nia24 patented Niacin is nicotinic acid, and it is supposed to be able to penetrate the stratum corneum, while the other forms supposedly can't.
http://www.nia24.com/science/molecule.cfm?p=1

Is it even worthwhile to use another form? I have no idea, which is why I am asking. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
I definitely don't know... That's Nia24's marketing materials, and of course they're biased. Also on page 9 where they have the graphs of pro niacin vs. niacinamide, pro niacin is much higher, but niacinamide isn't at zero. So then there must be some penetrarion of niacinamide.

Niacinamide powder is really cheap, but NIA24 products are not. So I thought it wouldn't hurt to buy some and experiment.

bethany wrote:
Does anyone know the difference between niacinamide, nicotinamide, and nicotinic acid?

The Nia24 patented Niacin is nicotinic acid, and it is supposed to be able to penetrate the stratum corneum, while the other forms supposedly can't.
http://www.nia24.com/science/molecule.cfm?p=1

Is it even worthwhile to use another form? I have no idea, which is why I am asking. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
Vitamin B3 is found in basic form as niacinamide, which is the same as nicotinamide, and in acidic form as nicotinic acid. Pro-Niacin (myristyl nicotinate) is the form of vitamin B3 that is found in the NIA24 products. It breaks down to nicotinic acid, according to information from the blog Futurederm.com.

It seems like we cannot trust the claims from the manufacturer of NIA24 that their form of vitamin B3 is better than the ordinary niacinamide. According to futurederm.com, many independent studies have shown that topical application of niacinamide is highly effective. There is no independent research suggesting that Pro-Niacin is more beneficial for the skin.

Quote:

The advantage of NIA24 skin care products with Pro-Niacin over Olay products with niacinamide therefore may actually not be the form of niacin at all, but in its other established anti-aging ingredients.

http://futurederm.wordpress.com/2007/11/16/product-review-nia24-skincare/

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
Vitamin B3 is found in basic form as niacinamide, which is the same as nicotinamide, and in acidic form as nicotinic acid. Pro-Niacin (myristyl nicotinate) is the form of vitamin B3 that is found in the NIA24 products. It breaks down to nicotinic acid, according to information from the blog Futurederm.com.

It seems like we cannot trust the claims from the manufacturer of NIA24 that their form of vitamin B3 is better than the ordinary niacinamide. According to futurederm.com, many independent studies have shown that topical application of niacinamide is highly effective. There is no independent research suggesting that Pro-Niacin is more beneficial for the skin.

Quote:

The advantage of NIA24 skin care products with Pro-Niacin over Olay products with niacinamide therefore may actually not be the form of niacin at all, but in its other established anti-aging ingredients.

http://futurederm.wordpress.com/2007/11/16/product-review-nia24-skincare/

Well, that is definitely insightful...then I am going to go for go for the regular stuff and feel darn good about it. Thanks for sharing!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:48 am      Reply with quote
Hi Nimue, I put it in my serums or moisturizers as is at 4% (by weight). It dissolves completely and seems to work just fine. HTH.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Thank vou Smile. So probably any simple moisturizer would work. When you say you put it in serums, how do you make the serums? (or do you start with ready made serums)

What results, if any, do you have from niacinamide? Is it irritating? Do you put it around the eyes too?

doodles wrote:
Hi Nimue, I put it in my serums or moisturizers as is at 4% (by weight). It dissolves completely and seems to work just fine. HTH.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Nimue, Any serum or moisturizer would work. I make my own (very) simple serums and moisturizers. I like to DIY so right now my night moisturizer consists of glycerin, triglycerides, and distilled water with something called gel maker added in - just a couple of drops in an ounce of my mixture thickens it up to the consistency of a thick serum. I use this as a moisturizer under my Tazorac at night and it works great. In the morning I use a serum made of 4% niacinamide, sebu-reg (something I bought from one of the DIY places that's supposed to help control oil), distilled water and the gel maker to give it the right consistency and to emulsify the mixture. I mix this serum with my azelaic acid cream and together they moisturize and control oil. I use the niacinamide for oil control, acne, and for barrier repair - I think that when you use a retinoid that you need something to help repair your skins barrier. I use the niacinamide at 4% - 5% seems to be irritating for me. The niacinamide is very versatile and I wouldn't hesitate to add it to a favorite moisturizer or serum. Two of my favorite DIY online stores are lotioncrafter.com and makingcosmetics.com. HTH.
doodles
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
Forgot to add that I have used it around my eyes in the past with no problems!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:22 am      Reply with quote
I make a Glucosamine and Niacinamide serum, the recipe is as follows:

1/2 tsp. Glucosamine
1/4 tsp. Niacinamide
5 tsp. Distilled water
1 tsp. Glycerin

Mix powders with water then add the glycerin. I apply it at night on clean, dry skin before all the other stuff I pile on. It sinks right into the skin. Haven't seen any miracles yet, but am living in hope.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Just chiming in to offer a little 'thickening' tip I found out by accident.. Shock Embarassed Shock

A few drops of Hyaluronic Acid to 1 oz of liquid will thicken it up to a nice serum consistency.. (I wound up with spackle on my hands one time, when I was a little too enthusiastic with the HA.. Sad )

Now I just add by drops, rather than by spoonfuls, till I get the consistency I want.. (You also never want *lots* of HA anyhow, because it will dry you out.)

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Heathermom

Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Is anyone making stuff using niacinamide? What are your experiences and recipes?[/quote]

"Niapads" is the only formulation I know of that is formulated with Niacinamide for treatment of acne. They claim to have a scientifically designed product suitable also for pregnant women and nursing mothers in treating their acne.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
"Niapads" is the only commercially available product formulated with Niacinamide (topical application) for treatment of acne - that I know of. They claim it is scientifically formulated for all skin types and is also suitable for safe acne treatment for pregnant women and nursing mothers.

5% products discount

Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
I make a once ounce cream by using 1 oz cetaphil lotion as a base.

I put in 1/4 tsp of B3 (to make it 4% niacinamide) I bought from lotioncrafter and 10 drops of Emu oil.

I've only been using it 3 nights for acne. So far I really like it. It is replacing the clyndomiacin the dermatologist is giving me. I still plan on using the Retin A product the derm gave me last month (is working really well).

I have problems with boils on my face and I don’t want to take acutane.

In addition to that for my acne I just started taking (4 days ago) 750mg Pantethine and 250mg of L Carnitine. I got these at the health food store (see below for link and a short paragraph about it). This amount of pantethine is much more realistic than taking 20 pills in divided doses of pantothenic acid.

Reducing or Eliminating Acne with Pantethine and L Carnitine

Using the modified Leung B5 protocol with Pantethine 750 mg with 250 mg of L Carnitine three times a day, we have noted excellent success rates in reducing or eliminating acne. An added advantage is a good cosmetic result with smaller pore size and smoother skin. The vitamins are safe with no adverse side effects noted.

www . jeffreydach . com/2008/09/04/pantethenic-acid-b5-for-acne-by-jeffrey-dach-md.aspx

To view the link above be sure to remove spaces after www and befor jefferydach then again after jeffreydach and before the com. I am not allowed to post links because I am new Sad
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip! I think I'm going to run with this one. I'm thinking about these ingredients for a serum: water, HA serum, manuka honey and niacinamide. (for the water, I think I'll use some leftover PSF R&R toner that the spritzer can't get to) It's going to be tough, but I'm going to try to control myself with the honey so that it doesn't wind up too sticky.

In the future maybe seamollient (garden of wisdom's version of sea kelp bioferment) would be good to add too.

Kassy_A wrote:
Just chiming in to offer a little 'thickening' tip I found out by accident.. Shock Embarassed Shock

A few drops of Hyaluronic Acid to 1 oz of liquid will thicken it up to a nice serum consistency.. (I wound up with spackle on my hands one time, when I was a little too enthusiastic with the HA.. Sad )

Now I just add by drops, rather than by spoonfuls, till I get the consistency I want.. (You also never want *lots* of HA anyhow, because it will dry you out.)

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:17 am      Reply with quote
I finally made my serum Smile. I had a "duh" moment and realized that I shouldn't buy anything new, but just use stuff I had, and that I could simply add a little moisturizer and shake well in order to thicken the serum slightly.

I used niacinamide (5%), green tea extract (5%), and a lot of manuka honey (I didn't measure it, after a while of trying to record how much I was adding I just gave up and kept adding it). I poured in some R&R toner to dissolve the niacianamide and honey. Then I added more R&R toner. In a fit of madness I even added some zinc oxide, and it took a whole lot of shaking to dissolve it, so I'm glad I didn't add too much and I wouldn't recommend trying this. Then I just added all the samples I had on hand, which included a HA serum sample (but it's so small, I don't think % even registered) and a DMAE sample and a bunch of moisturizer (100% pure body cream).

I was mixing everything in a 4 oz bottle, which is how I know the final % of the niacinamide. I think the bottle was 3/4 full before I started adding the moisturizers to it. I'm pretty happy with the final result. It's kinda sticky, but hey that was the point because of the honey. I'm ok with the stickyness, I think it's the maximum stickyness that's still tolerable. The serum is pretty watery but it's just thick enough that I can use it so I'm happy with it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:18 am      Reply with quote
I am very very happy with my homemade vitamin B serum. I just want to give a little rave for niacinamide here. I think niacinamide is seriously the number 1 ingredient for DIY, even for those who are afraid of hardcore DIY.

Reasons why niacinamide is awesome:

It's stable.
It's easy to formulate with. (it can't get easier than a water soluble powder that you stir in)
It's very effective at a small concentration. (4-5%)
Strengthens skin barrier (great complement to vitamin A) and also great for acne.
It's really cheap. (At lotioncrafter, you can get 4 oz of niacinamide for less than 5$).

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:43 am      Reply with quote
I am thinking of crushing some Niacin into some aloe vera gel. Is it foolproof? How long will this stay fresh, and do I need to refrigerate it or protect it from light? I wonder if it will be irritating if I get the % wrong. Im a bit clueless when it comes to DIY. I wonder if a compounding pharmacy could prepare it for me? Thanks.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
I think that it will stay fresh, but you have to be really careful about the %. You don't want the final % of niacinamide to be any greater than 5%. For a lot of people 5% is too much but 4% is perfect.

I bought some niacinamide poweder from garden of wisdom (and there are other sources) so I didn't have to crush pills, but I'm sure it'll be fine. Does the pill have only niacinamide in it?

amonavis wrote:
I am thinking of crushing some Niacin into some aloe vera gel. Is it foolproof? How long will this stay fresh, and do I need to refrigerate it or protect it from light? I wonder if it will be irritating if I get the % wrong. Im a bit clueless when it comes to DIY. I wonder if a compounding pharmacy could prepare it for me? Thanks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
I also would be more inclined to buy the Niacinamide powder from BulkActives or SkinActives and formulate it as per their instructions.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
OK thanks. I did not have any specific pill in mind. Do you guys know how long it stays fresh? thx
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
amonavis wrote:
OK thanks. I did not have any specific pill in mind. Do you guys know how long it stays fresh? thx

Here's the info on BulkActives website;

http://www.bulkactives.com/niacinamide.htm
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
Great I will check that. Thanks
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:12 am      Reply with quote
Nicotinamide, also known as niacinamide and nicotinic acid amide, is the amide of nicotinic acid (vitamin B3). Nicotinamide is a water-soluble vitamin and is part of the vitamin B group. Nicotinic acid, also known as niacin, is converted to niacinamide in vivo, and though the two are identical in their vitamin functions, niacinamide does not have the same pharmacologic and toxic effects of niacin, which occur incidental to niacin's conversion. Thus niacinamide does not reduce cholesterol or cause flushing,[1] although nicotinamide may be toxic to the liver at doses exceeding 3 g/day for adults.[2] In cells, niacin is incorporated into nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) and nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADP), although the pathways for nicotinamide and nicotinic acid are very similar. NAD+ and NADP+ are coenzymes in a wide variety of enzymatic oxidation-reduction reactions.[3]

Use in medicine

Nicotinamide has demonstrated anti-inflammatory actions which may be of benefit in patients with inflammatory skin conditions.[4] These conditions include acne vulgaris, and the compound can suppress antigen induced-lymphocytic transformation and inhibit of 3'-5' cyclic AMP phosphodiesterase. Nicotinamide has demonstrated the ability to block the inflammatory actions of iodides known to precipitate or exacerbate inflammatory acne

Nicomide (take note the naming similarity), is an acne medication, and in its vitamin supplement form, the most predominant ingredient is 750 mg of nicotinamide, based on this area of research.

Nicotinamide has been reported to restore cognition in Alzheimer's Disease transgenic mice.[8]

Nicotinamide has been reported to increase the endurance of mice.[9]

Nicotinamide, or Vitamin B3, prevents immunosuppression caused by UVA and UVB radiation, and could be added to sunscreen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotinamide
System
Automatic Message
Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Obagi ELASTIderm Eye  Cream (15 g / 0.5 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Hydra-Gel Eye Patches (60 patches) Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Extra Strength Daily Peel - Box of 30 (30 packettes of Step 1 & 2)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |