Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Omega 3+ and Amalaki Night Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Serum 16 (30 ml / 1 floz) Institut Esthederm Intensive Propolis+ Kaolin Purifying Mask (75 ml)
Face Scrubs - daily use??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Vee26
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:27 am      Reply with quote
I use a scrub on my face twice a day in the shower. It's one of the St Ives Swiss formulas - invigorating (quite large particles) I use it on the very faint lines I have around my mouth and on my forehead. I use an Olay scrub (much gentler) on my eye area for the fine lines there.

I have had no adverse affects but I do sometimes worry that I may be doing my skin harm continuing to have this routine...I may be wrong though

what does everyone think about doing this kind of thing?

Any comments would be greatly received!

thank you Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
For me personally I would never use that product on my face, nor exfoliate twice daily.

I actually prefer to use actives such as AHA's or Retin A to do most of my exfoliating. I do have an exfoliating, hydrating cream mask which I use one a week (have been a bit slack lately though). I still use manual exfoliants but only 2-3 times a week, and they are really gentle. Oh and I dont use a manual exfoliant around my eye area.

HTHS:)
Vee26
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:42 am      Reply with quote
My skin can't take retinols etc and as I'm only 27 I am loathe to start soemthing that extreme right now when I have very few lines anyway.

I realise that perhaps I should tone down the intensity of the scrubs but the Olay one is hardly abraisive. I may cut down to once daily

Anyone else use scrubs to exfoliate? How often do you use them please?

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:57 am      Reply with quote
I am using scrubs almost every day now because of peeling of Retin A. But I used very mild Avene scrub peeling and just once a day.

I don't know - twice a day seems to be very harsh to skin...?
I mean, scrub peeling physically remove dead skin - why do you think that you have to do that twice a day?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:28 am      Reply with quote
Vee are you using the St Ives Swiss formulas Apricot scrub? I know a derm I was talking to a couple of years back said that she never recommended this to her clients, and instead often advised people to go for smaller cleansers, as she felt those scrubs scratched the surface of the skin and left it open to bacteria, rather than just removing the top dead layer of skin. Her suggestion to me at hte time was to go for Dermaologica microfine exfoliant which could be used daily. But I have a friend who swears by the St Ives scrub, so its really down to the individual. As long as your paying attention to how your skin then that should be fine.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:46 am      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
Vee are you using the St Ives Swiss formulas Apricot scrub? I know a derm I was talking to a couple of years back said that she never recommended this to her clients, and instead often advised people to go for smaller cleansers, as she felt those scrubs scratched the surface of the skin and left it open to bacteria, rather than just removing the top dead layer of skin. Her suggestion to me at hte time was to go for Dermaologica microfine exfoliant which could be used daily. But I have a friend who swears by the St Ives scrub, so its really down to the individual. As long as your paying attention to how your skin then that should be fine.

My skin seems to like the dialy use - I swear my fine lines on my forehead have diminished since starting doing this! I also have an annoying but hardly visable (I can only see in certain lights!) line next to the right side of my mouth and this also seems to have disappeared....I have not changed my skin care routine so it must be this no?

If my skin felt tender/sore after scrubbing I'd definitely leave-off, but I think it's helping....even though like I said, I am aware this is a bit of an extreme method!! But maybe not as extreme as retin A...

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:57 am      Reply with quote
It doesn’t surprise me that the fine lines on your forehead are gone, as they were probably caused by partly an expression you were making, in the upmost layer of the derma, and the scrub would be removing that somewhat. However, as your skin regenerates, if you continued making the expression that caused it to appear in the first place, it might come back.

I’m not sure you can compare your method to RetinA. Retin A is after all a pharmaceutical drug which has been used for well over 30 years in hundreds of clinical studies. It doesn’t exfoliate, but it encourages the cells to turnover faster - whereas your method is only removing the top upmost layer of the skin - so there’s quite a difference between the two!
Vee26 wrote:
SeanySeanUK wrote:

My skin seems to like the dialy use - I swear my fine lines on my forehead have diminished since starting doing this! I also have an annoying but hardly visable (I can only see in certain lights!) line next to the right side of my mouth and this also seems to have disappeared....I have not changed my skin care routine so it must be this no?

If my skin felt tender/sore after scrubbing I'd definitely leave-off, but I think it's helping....even though like I said, I am aware this is a bit of an extreme method!! But maybe not as extreme as retin A...

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:27 am      Reply with quote
Your right!

I didn't mean to say they were similar methods...just a means to an end I suppose...and at the moment scrubbing seems like a less scary option to get the results I require

Fingers crossed it will last!!! Very Happy

thanks for your advice on this

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Vee-I love an exfoliating wash once a day. Use one with jojoba beads or particles that do not have sharp edges. I do think 2 a day is too much but once a day with a gentler one is ok. Aveeno daily scrub or philosophy microdelivery wash are good gentle ones too.
NOTCH
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
oranges is absolutely right about choosing the jojoba beads (spherical) for any exfoliation regimen. The first thing you need to remember is the purpose of "exfoliation". It is to help slough off the very TOP layer of dead skins cells. This in turn makes room for the live skin cells to move up, and more new skin cells to form. It is a good practice, although I would limit it to maybe once a day. I would never misuse an "exfoliation" as a means of trying to eliminate wrinkles. Most wrinkles are just too deep (relatively speaking) for an attempt to "sand paper" them smooth with multiple exfoliations every day.

Getting back to using jojoba particles (spheres). I used to work for the company that produced those spheres. We performed study after study with extreme close up magnified photography. Virtually all of the seed particles, and any other particles that were not spherical in shape left micro dermabrasions on the surface of the skin. These "cuts" were perfect spots for dirt and grime to be lodged which lead to microbial growth! It also inevitably lead to inflammation of the skin. Even though you think your skin is clean, you are actually creating trenches that are moist and warm which are perfect homes for bacteria to live and thrive. Skip the harsh seed exfolitaion particles and go to the round ones made from jojoba which left no cuts or scrapes on the skin.

Hope this helps.

John

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
Vee, at 27 I can't imagine what fine lines you are seeing! IMHO I think it much safer for you to be gentle with yourself. Someone posted a good article about products makeing young skin old before it's time

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I vote for spherical scrub too.
Avene, which I mentioned is also scrub with micro spheres and it is not abrasive at all.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:35 am      Reply with quote
NOTCH - I'm a bit worried now after that description!! I think I may stop with the St Ives scrub and stick to the olay one (not sure what shape the particles are in this though)

Thank you for you help

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:36 am      Reply with quote
Alien wrote:
Vee, at 27 I can't imagine what fine lines you are seeing! IMHO I think it much safer for you to be gentle with yourself. Someone posted a good article about products makeing young skin old before it's time

Alien - that was what I was worried about.

I'm going travelling for a year next week so won't be able to do my current skin care routine anymore anyway so maybe I'll leave well alone and see how it goes!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:53 am      Reply with quote
I love exfoliating but I learnt the hard way that doing it too much causes issues.

I was using AHAs and for some reason decided to add some actual microbeads in an exfoliating scrub. Bad idea! It made my skin drier and made my skin excrete more oil which clogged up the pores and made horrible cystic pimples.

I read somewhere that oily skin tends to have less wrinkles (unfortunately I can't remember where) so I assume the opposite is true. If we over exfoliate and make the skin drier/lose its elasticity it would make the skin more prone wrinkles.
miss anna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
I really think we should all be careful about over-zealous scrubbing. As NOTCH said, we should be aiming at the very top layers of the skin. Using a scrub to try and get rid of more will create more problems than it will solve. I think because we can't actually see the bits of skin coming off, we think we need to do more. I now use BHAs most days and scrub only once or twice a week with a very gentle scrub and certainly not around the eyes!! We should never use the harsher scrubs on the face. That's just scary.
frozenstrawberrypie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:28 am      Reply with quote
i wouldn't recommend scrubbing everyday, it would not be good for your skin the long run. but if you must, choose the product carefully. you need a very gentle product, with spherical particles, better yet if it's made for daily use. or you could try a face cleaning brush that's made for daily use.
flyflyonly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:18 am      Reply with quote
I think any facial scrub could not be used daily.
Our skin needs our protection, so we should treat it very gentlly.

In my opinion, scrub should be used every 10 days for young skin, and 7 days for mature skin.
bluepacific
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:00 am      Reply with quote
Estheticians that I've come across recommended once a week...
*mirjana*
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:13 am      Reply with quote
that's sounds much more reasonable than twice a day... I mean if you going to remove off layer of dead skins cells in the morning, and you repeat it the same day I don't know if there anything to remove yet Question

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
IMHO scrubbing twice a day is a little bit too much. And it's better to use some mild ones. I also like the Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant which does not contain small particles but some kind of enzyme powder.
System
Automatic Message
Sat May 18, 2024 11:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) HydroPeptide Anti-Wrinkle Power Luxe (30 ml / 1 floz) Bioelements Collagen Rehab Mask (50 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |