Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
Burnout Sunscreen Review (physical sunscreen) -RAVE
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
SkinCareJunkie wrote:
Before I purchase this sunscreen I have one more question. Does it have a strong smell?

No it is unscented.
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
SkinCareJunkie wrote:
Before I purchase this sunscreen I have one more question. Does it have a strong smell?

Nope, the Ocean one does not appear to me as
having a strong smell at all... keep loving it Very Happy
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hey,

I found Keys totally unusable. Burnout is a *lot* better/nicer. Burnout is not thick, sticky, or has a white cast. It's really lovely.

Although it is water resistant, I don't use anything special to remove it, just the regular cleanser. I do use a skin brush sometimes, but not for the purpose of removing it. Your milk cleanser will be fine. There's nothing bad in burnout so removing it is not that big a deal anyway- I only wash my face prior to applying it, if that. When I brush my teeth in the evening, I don't always wash my face.

I don't wear much makeup but I think it does work very well under makeup. I buy it online at the burnout website, I don't know which stores carry it.

Stardustdy wrote:
Hi Nimue,
I remember u tried Keys Solar sunscreen before and just want to compare the two. Keys Solar kinda leaves a slight white cast on but what about the Burnout then? And is it thick and sticky at all?

You mentioned that it's slightly water resistant, what do you use at night to remove it? Would a cleansing cream/milk be sufficent? I hate using cleansing oil!

And how does it work under MMU?

Do u know if they sell it anywhere in stores in Vancouver BC?

Sry for all the questions! hehe Very Happy Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
I'm glad you like it! Hmmm- for you it's not perfect regarding white cast? For me, there's zero whiteness after it sinks in, but I'm also pretty fair. Anyway, relative to many other physical sunscreens, the white cast situation is very very good with burnout (and trust me, I've tried a lot!).

I have a suggestion- why don't you use a bit of Oclipse/Melashade and mix it with burnout in the palm of your hand and then apply that. That'll give it a slight tint. If the tint is too light, you can instead pick a foundation/concealer darker than your skin tone and mix that with the burnout. Just make sure that it's mostly burnout and just a small bit of the foundation/concealer so you're getting the sun protection and skin benefits from the burnout!

That's a good way of describing it- it feels fresh and clean. Regarding protection, I've been exposed to a lot of sun this summer with no problem.

margarett wrote:

When I just first applied it, I said oh no, not again the white ghost! but after 10 minutes it absorbs into your skin and for my olive complexion is quite good, but not perfect. It does not look dry like the ZO Oclipse which accentuates my fine lines -I hate that!- and it is not oily AT ALL like a lot of other chemical SS I've tried (Clarins, Vichy and Biotherm). I do not know on the long run, but I am putting everything else away.
With the Oclipse after one hour I felt my face very dry, like thirsty, like I needed to run and wipe everything away and apply moisturizer. With this one, I feel it fresh and clean all the time I have had it on. I really, really recommend it for all skin types, not oily at all and not dry/white.

Now, I only hope it does protect me well.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
I found Burnout Kids on the EWG safe sunscreen list! It's rated a 1. (but I knew that!) I feel like only after I try a product and review it does it show up on the EWG list. (at least it seemed to happen like that with Devita)

http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/finding-the-best-sunscreens/330833/BurnOut-Kids-Physical-Sunscreen-SPF/

But I don't get why Burnout only has "good" in the UVA protection category. Devita, which has less zinc oxide, has "excellent" in that category. And there are some other products that have less zinc oxide that have an "excellent" for UVA protection. (those also have titanium dopxide, but I know titanium dioxide is not nearly as good as zinc oxide for UVA) That's weird, since EWG don't actually test products but just go by the ingredients listings. Oh well.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
I'm glad you like it! Hmmm- for you it's not perfect regarding white cast? For me, there's zero whiteness after it sinks in, but I'm also pretty fair. Anyway, relative to many other physical sunscreens, the white cast situation is very very good with burnout (and trust me, I've tried a lot!).

I have a suggestion- why don't you use a bit of Oclipse/Melashade and mix it with burnout in the palm of your hand and then apply that. That'll give it a slight tint. If the tint is too light, you can instead pick a foundation/concealer darker than your skin tone and mix that with the burnout. Just make sure that it's mostly burnout and just a small bit of the foundation/concealer so you're getting the sun protection and skin benefits from the burnout!

That's a good way of describing it- it feels fresh and clean. Regarding protection, I've been exposed to a lot of sun this summer with no problem.

margarett wrote:

When I just first applied it, I said oh no, not again the white ghost! but after 10 minutes it absorbs into your skin and for my olive complexion is quite good, but not perfect. It does not look dry like the ZO Oclipse which accentuates my fine lines -I hate that!- and it is not oily AT ALL like a lot of other chemical SS I've tried (Clarins, Vichy and Biotherm). I do not know on the long run, but I am putting everything else away.
With the Oclipse after one hour I felt my face very dry, like thirsty, like I needed to run and wipe everything away and apply moisturizer. With this one, I feel it fresh and clean all the time I have had it on. I really, really recommend it for all skin types, not oily at all and not dry/white.

Now, I only hope it does protect me well.

I just apply and forget about it, although for me there is a tiny itsy bitsy of white cast that goes away after 5 minutes, there is NADA!

My dark patches I have experienced this Summer have started to fade veeeeery slowly or is it my wishful thinking? but they don't get worse nor I am getting new ones. I am very happy with this SS. Very Happy
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:30 am      Reply with quote
margarett wrote:

My dark patches I have experienced this Summer have started to fade veeeeery slowly or is it my wishful thinking? but they don't get worse nor I am getting new ones. I am very happy with this SS. Very Happy

That is great to hear, margarett! I just got the Burnout kids version and I'll be trying it tomorrow to see what I think.
katharina
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:29 am      Reply with quote
margarett wrote:

Oh, i may try this then!
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
Yes girls, confirmed! as far as my melasma o hyperpigmentation is concerned, very helpful.

Please rileygirl, let us know how you like the one for kids. I will for sure purchase again. I bought the Ocean for the hemp seed oil, but would like to try the other ones also.
Keep us posted, please.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
margarett wrote:
Yes girls, confirmed! as far as my melasma o hyperpigmentation is concerned, very helpful.

Please rileygirl, let us know how you like the one for kids. I will for sure purchase again. I bought the Ocean for the hemp seed oil, but would like to try the other ones also.
Keep us posted, please.

That sounds great with the pigmentation. I am wondering if the hemp oil is supposed to help with pigmentation? I have used zinc sunscreen for years, and it prevents new spots, but I haven't had any fade from using them. I tried the Kids version today. It goes on looking greasy and white, but it turns matte very quickly, probably in under 1 minute. It didn't leave any white look on my face after it sunk in. The only issue I had with it was that my face felt a bit tacky the entire day whenever I felt my face. I am not sure if that is due to the excessively high humidity we have or if that is just the sunscreen. I didn't feel like I was wearing anything though, which was very nice. So first impression is pretty good!
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:34 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

That sounds great with the pigmentation. I am wondering if the hemp oil is supposed to help with pigmentation? I have used zinc sunscreen for years, and it prevents new spots, but I haven't had any fade from using them. I tried the Kids version today. It goes on looking greasy and white, but it turns matte very quickly, probably in under 1 minute. It didn't leave any white look on my face after it sunk in. The only issue I had with it was that my face felt a bit tacky the entire day whenever I felt my face. I am not sure if that is due to the excessively high humidity we have or if that is just the sunscreen. I didn't feel like I was wearing anything though, which was very nice. So first impression is pretty good!

Hey rileygirl, if you think the kids version is too rich, you may prefer the "clean and clear" version, it's the lightest version. But I really wouldn't say that the kids version is ever "greasy". What an unpleasant word! There really are sunscreens out there that qualify as "greasy" and this isn't it...

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:

Hey rileygirl, if you think the kids version is too rich, you may prefer the "clean and clear" version, it's the lightest version. But I really wouldn't say that the kids version is ever "greasy". What an unpleasant word! There really are sunscreens out there that qualify as "greasy" and this isn't it...

No, it is not greasy to me. I should have said it appears greasy and white when first applied, then dries matte in a flash. I am still getting a tacky feel when I touch my face, but that is no big deal, as I shouldn't be touching my face anyway! All in all it is a nice sunscreen. I just need to see if it prevents pigmentation for my skin.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
I'm currently using the "clean and clear" version of Burnout (have been for a bout two weeks) and really like it much, much better than NIA 24 or Sheseido.

It goes on very light and dries to a matte finish. My mmu also works very well with.

We just spent 10 days in Florida with no sun burn! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Nimue wrote:

No, it is not greasy to me. I should have said it appears greasy and white when first applied, then dries matte in a flash. I am still getting a tacky feel when I touch my face, but that is no big deal, as I shouldn't be touching my face anyway! All in all it is a nice sunscreen. I just need to see if it prevents pigmentation for my skin.

I know exactly what you mean by the tacky feeling, and it's not overly bothersome. But I was worried about you not liking it because of that.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:24 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

I know exactly what you mean by the tacky feeling, and it's not overly bothersome. But I was worried about you not liking it because of that.

LOL. Yes, I am rather picky with my sunscreens. Do you have all 3 varieties, Bethany? If you do, do they all leave the tack feel?
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue, I am SO GLAD I stumbled upon this thread! I've been using Devita for years, and I learned the trick of ordering their body block and using it on the face. But while I swear it used to be unscented, I think they changed the formulation and added a fragrance, and my skin doesn't like it quite as much. (It's still the best SS I've found that's physical, ZO-based, non-white and non-sticky.)

We just ran out on our honeymoon, and I've been making my way through a bunch of crappy samplers trying to decide what my next SS move would be, since I didn't want to repurchase the new formulation of Devita. Burnout it is! I'm going to do the Amazon special, as it still seems to be valid.

One question -- what expiration date is listed on y'all's products? I'm not sure I'll go through three whole tubes in the time necessary (though I guess I can just stick one in my car and one in hubby's car so we'll be more motivated to stay protected. I know heat isn't great for formulations, but at least ZO doesn't degrade in high temperatures like so many chemical SS ingredients.)

Thanks so much!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:11 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
bethany wrote:

LOL. Yes, I am rather picky with my sunscreens. Do you have all 3 varieties, Bethany? If you do, do they all leave the tack feel?

I do have all 3...I will try them all again and rate the level of tackiness for you. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:59 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

I do have all 3...I will try them all again and rate the level of tackiness for you. Very Happy

LOL! Thank you. I have to say that this morning I used Finacea under the Kids version and it did not leave a tack on my skin at all today. So, I am thinking it definitely has to do with what is put on under the sunscreen.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:03 am      Reply with quote
Hey,

I just checked a tube and the expiration date is 2012 so I don't think you'll have a problem using it up! My policy when I'm buying in bulk is to keep products in the fridge until I'm ready to use them and I've never had a freshness issue with physical sunscreen. (and some products wind up staying in my fridge a loooong time)

I think you'll really like burnout! It has more zinc oxide than Devita, it's not irritating in the eye area, and it's more water resistant. Just make sure to try the kids version.

ginnielizz wrote:
Nimue, I am SO GLAD I stumbled upon this thread! I've been using Devita for years, and I learned the trick of ordering their body block and using it on the face. But while I swear it used to be unscented, I think they changed the formulation and added a fragrance, and my skin doesn't like it quite as much. (It's still the best SS I've found that's physical, ZO-based, non-white and non-sticky.)

We just ran out on our honeymoon, and I've been making my way through a bunch of crappy samplers trying to decide what my next SS move would be, since I didn't want to repurchase the new formulation of Devita. Burnout it is! I'm going to do the Amazon special, as it still seems to be valid.

One question -- what expiration date is listed on y'all's products? I'm not sure I'll go through three whole tubes in the time necessary (though I guess I can just stick one in my car and one in hubby's car so we'll be more motivated to stay protected. I know heat isn't great for formulations, but at least ZO doesn't degrade in high temperatures like so many chemical SS ingredients.)

Thanks so much!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:58 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
I'm currently using the "clean and clear" version of Burnout (have been for a bout two weeks) and really like it much, much better than NIA 24 or Sheseido.

It goes on very light and dries to a matte finish. My mmu also works very well with.

We just spent 10 days in Florida with no sun burn! Smile

If this sunscreen is better than Shiseido, it must be really good! Smile

Can anyone compare it to Clarins or Neutrogena or Shiseido sunblocks?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:

I have used the Neutrogena ultra sheer dry touch and a sample of Clarins Brightening Day Lotion. Quite honestly, both of those "feel" a lot better on my skin than the Burnout. To my skin the Neutrogena and Clarins are both "lighter" feeling and neither of those 2 leave any sort of tacky feeling on my skin. Have you ever used the Dermaquest sunscreen? To me the Burnout is very similar, only slightly "heavier" feeling. (ETA that I am only taking about the Burnout Kids version with these comparisons.)
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:56 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
bethany wrote:

LOL! Thank you. I have to say that this morning I used Finacea under the Kids version and it did not leave a tack on my skin at all today. So, I am thinking it definitely has to do with what is put on under the sunscreen.

I wore the Ocean on Monday with nothing under it...it still had that slightly tacky feeling. But I think it was also due to the humidity...it has been dreadful!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
RussianSunshine wrote:

I have used the Neutrogena ultra sheer dry touch and a sample of Clarins Brightening Day Lotion. Quite honestly, both of those "feel" a lot better on my skin than the Burnout. To my skin the Neutrogena and Clarins are both "lighter" feeling and neither of those 2 leave any sort of tacky feeling on my skin. Have you ever used the Dermaquest sunscreen? To me the Burnout is very similar, only slightly "heavier" feeling. (ETA that I am only taking about the Burnout Kids version with these comparisons.)

I agree completely regarding the Neutrogena. But I prefer Burnout to the Clarins mineral sunscreen.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:54 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

I wore the Ocean on Monday with nothing under it...it still had that slightly tacky feeling. But I think it was also due to the humidity...it has been dreadful!

Thanks for trying it Bethany. I know the humidity has been horrible here, and I don't know how much that contributes to the tacky feel?
tessera
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:09 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
The only issue I had with it was that my face felt a bit tacky the entire day whenever I felt my face. I am not sure if that is due to the excessively high humidity we have or if that is just the sunscreen.

I just got the Kid's version and know what you mean about the tacky feel - it's not sticky but it feels like the kind of "drag" you get if you try to run your fingers over something of soft rubber and they don't glide smoothly. I live in So. Ca. where there is very little humidity, so I think the effect is just the sunscreen.

Somebody has already said the tacky feel doesn't interfere with their MMU. (I'm getting a MMU sample from NCN and will try it with this sunscreen.) I'd like to know if anyone has tried other foundations with it, and whether the tackiness interfered?

Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:16 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |