Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Inflammaging
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
I love this paper.

Inflammaging (inflammation + aging): A driving force for human aging based on an evolutionarily antagonistic pleiotropy theory

Aging, and especially human aging, can be explained by the emerging concept of parainflammation-driven inflammaging, i.e. a combination of inflammation and aging. Inflammaging posits that aging either physiologically or pathologically can be driven by the pro-inflammatory cytokines and substances produced by the innate immune system. Animals must maintain homeostasis as they age despite incessant attack from both intrinsic and extrinsic stimuli/antigens. These potentially harmful pro-inflammatory signals at a later stage of life may act antagonistically to the beneficial role they had in an earlier stage of life, like serving as developmental engines for body system formation. The concept of inflammaging is based on an antagonistic pleiotropy theory programmed during evolution. Clinical trials including caloric restriction, sirtuin activators, and p38 MAPK inhibitors against both pathological aging such as metabolic syndrome, diabetes mellitus, rheumatoid arthritis, and Werner syndrome and physiological aging have been proposed.

Here is the full text pdf. Let's talk.

http://www.biosciencetrends.com/action/downloaddoc.php?docid=169

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting DrJ.

I hope ppl dont take "caloric restriction" to mean "starvation dieting". Protein deprivation and severe nutritional imbalances can cause a lot of damage dont you think so?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Interesting DrJ.

I hope ppl dont take "caloric restriction" to mean "starvation dieting". Protein deprivation and severe nutritional imbalances can cause a lot of damage dont you think so?

Agree. And caloric restriction doesn't help skin. The body adapts to semi-starvation by taking resources away from non-critical areas (like skin) and mobilizing them to critical areas (brain, heart, kidneys). You may live longer, but ....

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
fawnie wrote:
Interesting DrJ.

Agree. And caloric restriction doesn't help skin. The body adapts to semi-starvation by taking resources away from non-critical areas (like skin) and mobilizing them to critical areas (brain, heart, kidneys). You may live longer, but ....

no wonder all the caloric restricted people I have seen look so not fresh...
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:08 am      Reply with quote
With respect to calorie restriction, aren't adequate protein and essential fatty acids the primary concern?

Of course, plant phytochemicals and fiber are nice to have around, but the body doesn't break down as quickly without those as it does in the absence of protein and certain fats?

BFG
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:45 am      Reply with quote
Interesting paper...still, we're all doomed to push up daisies. But they give a green light to a little vino along the way.

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:01 am      Reply with quote
The studies on caloric restriction are very interesting - In all the animals studied they live longer, are healthier, and look and behave younger than those on a regular diet.

An easy read on this is The Longevity Diet by Brian M Delaney and Lisa Walford.
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:13 am      Reply with quote
mismis wrote:
The studies on caloric restriction are very interesting - In all the animals studied they live longer, are healthier, and look and behave younger than those on a regular diet.

An easy read on this is The Longevity Diet by Brian M Delaney and Lisa Walford.

Skin is negatively impacted by CR. Wound healing is delayed, which is a good marker for signs of aging.

Age (Dordr). 2011 Oct 27.

Effect of calorie restriction and refeeding on skin wound healing in the rat.

Laboratory of Experimental Gerontology, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, MD, 21224

Calorie restriction (CR) is a reliable anti-aging intervention that attenuates the onset of a number of age-related diseases, reduces oxidative damage, and maintains function during aging. In the current study, we assessed the effects of CR and other feeding regimens on wound healing in 7-month-old Fischer-344 rats from a larger cohort of rats that had been fed either ad libitum (AL) or 40% calorie restricted based on AL consumption. Rats were assigned to one of three diet groups that received three skin punch wounds along the dorsal interscapular region (12-mm diameter near the front limbs) of the back as follows: (1) CR (n = Cool were wounded and maintained on CR until they healed, (2) AL (n = 5) were wounded and maintained on AL until wound closure was completed, and (3) CR rats were refed (RF, n = 9) AL for 48 h prior to wounding and maintained on AL until they healed. We observed that young rats on CR healed more slowly while CR rats refed for 48 h prior to wounding healed as fast as AL fed rats, similar to a study reported in aged CR and RF mice (Reed et al. 1996). Our data suggest that CR subjects, regardless of age, fail to heal well and that provision of increased nutrition to CR subjects prior to wounding enhances the healing process.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:35 am      Reply with quote
Dr J,
What about intermittent fasting? Your HGH level increase significantly during the fast (24 hours usually).

I do this a few times a month because my body just feels better after a day of just drinking water.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:25 am      Reply with quote
erg,

I'd like to read more about boosting HGH through fasting - can you point me to some further info?

Thanks, BFG
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:28 am      Reply with quote
BFG,

I actually learned about it here on EDS.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=42817&highlight=hgh

It is quite easy to do.
I hope that helps,
erg

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:07 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
With respect to calorie restriction, aren't adequate protein and essential fatty acids the primary concern?

Of course, plant phytochemicals and fiber are nice to have around, but the body doesn't break down as quickly without those as it does in the absence of protein and certain fats?

BFG

If you are restricting kilocalories then you are restricting macronutrients. There are various responses: firstly break down stored fat or 'stored' protein (muscle). Secondly convert dietary macronutrients to the form required - protein can be converted to carbs for energy. Thirdly conserve nutrients by down-regulating non-essential processes. Different deficiencies have different effects, it's not simply a case of how quickly tissue is destroyed or rebuilt but the quality of the skin cells/ hormones/ plasma produced. We are not all here on EDS simply looking at whether our skin cells function as a barrier, keeping major infection out and enough water in that we don't die of dehydration.

Depending how much someone is restricting kilocalories and over how long a period, it's quite challenging to get all the micro and macro nutrients in optimal quantities, especially if one is fuelling an active lifestyle or active hobbies. Yes, I am aware some also believe in restricting physical activity for longevity but bluntly we evolved to move. And, no, comparing the average American/ UK diet to a calorie restricted one is not a valid argument - no health professional recommends the average American/ UK diet for wellbeing.

HTH! Smile

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:07 am      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
Dr J,
What about intermittent fasting? Your HGH level increase significantly during the fast (24 hours usually).

I do this a few times a month because my body just feels better after a day of just drinking water.

I am certain that chronic calorie restriction doesn't affect GH levels.I don't know about intermittent fasting (source of your info?).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2807912/pdf/nihms-158233.pdf

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:10 am      Reply with quote
... no health professional recommends the average American/ UK diet for wellbeing...

But it is strongly correlated with the average American/ UK life span. Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Interesting talk on inflammation:

Learn about nourishing foods, coconut oil, unsaturated fats, inflammation, the thyroid, what milk and sugar are GOOD for us, serotonin, digestion, estrogen vs progesterone, the dangers of iron and MORE!
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/eastwesthealing/2011/01/18/ray-peat-is-back

Fascinating.
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
This article suggests another way to get some of the benefits of caloric restriction:
http://www.economist.com/node/21543129
Autophagy - "This process, whose name is derived from the Greek for "self-eating", is a mechanism by which surplus, worn-out or malformed proteins and other cellular components are broken up for scrap and recycled."
I wish I could measure my autophagy performance Very Happy
And I'll take exercising over a near-starvation diet any day!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
Resveratrol is said to mimic CR.

That said, I realize we are primarily here to talk skin, but I did notice it referenced in Dr. Setterfield's list of important actives for skin and what a list that is!

BFG
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Resveratrol is said to mimic CR.

That said, I realize we are primarily here to talk skin, but I did notice it referenced in Dr. Setterfield's list of important actives for skin and what a list that is!

BFG

BFG, would you please give the link to it? thank you
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
... no health professional recommends the average American/ UK diet for wellbeing...

But it is strongly correlated with the average American/ UK life span. Shock

Agreed. Wink But I don't think comparing any restrictive eating plan with the average diet is a fair comparison, it should be compared to the minimum requirements and/ or what is known regarding optimum nutrition through meta-analyses and longitudinal population studies. Many fad diets are healthier than the average US/ UK diet, but I would hope most EDSers are not eating the average US/ UK diet!

I would be interested to learn more about the animal studies, specifically which animals and what they were eating prior to the study. I did a *little* reading on feline nutrition prior to getting my last mogster and was horrified by the disparity between the research, anatomy/ physiology of an obligate carnivore and content of even 'premium' commercial foods. Sad Inflammaging indeed!

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Kath91
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:

I did a *little* reading on feline nutrition prior to getting my last mogster and was horrified by the disparity between the research, anatomy/ physiology of an obligate carnivore and content of even 'premium' commercial foods. Sad Inflammaging indeed!

so sorry, off topic - but I absolutely agree. The disparity is very dismaying.
(very quick question: What's a mogster?)
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
You can do intermittent fasting and not starve yourself. It actually works better if you eat well.
fitgineer wrote:
This article suggests another way to get some of the benefits of caloric restriction:
http://www.economist.com/node/21543129
Autophagy - "This process, whose name is derived from the Greek for "self-eating", is a mechanism by which surplus, worn-out or malformed proteins and other cellular components are broken up for scrap and recycled."
I wish I could measure my autophagy performance Very Happy
And I'll take exercising over a near-starvation diet any day!!!
Kath91
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
fawnie wrote:
Interesting DrJ.

I'm thin; never concerned myself with caloric intake, I just eat..(must be a metabolism thing,) so I'm in the danger zone later in life with my skin suffering for it.
Say it isn't so.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Kath91 wrote:
Firefox7275 wrote:

I did a *little* reading on feline nutrition prior to getting my last mogster and was horrified by the disparity between the research, anatomy/ physiology of an obligate carnivore and content of even 'premium' commercial foods. Sad Inflammaging indeed!

Non-pedigree cat = moggie --> mogster <-- monster. Various less flattering terms depending how often she climbs the curtains or attempts to use wall mounted prints as a scratching post. Laughing

bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Kath91 wrote:
Firefox7275 wrote:

Non-pedigree cat = moggie --> mogster <-- monster. Various less flattering terms depending how often she climbs the curtains or attempts to use wall mounted prints as a scratching post. Laughing

I agree 100%....grain free only for my cats!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:12 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Firefox7275 wrote:
Kath91 wrote:
Firefox7275 wrote:

I agree 100%....grain free only for my cats!

One of my bugbears.

You wouldn't believe the increase we've seen in the number of cats suffering from digestive sensitivities over the last 16 years+. I understand that many other rescues and vets are experiencing the same thing.

Seems like an awful coincidence.

Most commercial catfood seems to be packed with absolute crap. Mad
System
Automatic Message
Sat May 25, 2024 4:33 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

EmerginC SPF 30  Tinted Broad Spectrum Sun Protector (125 ml / 4.4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Skin Biology Super GHK-Copper Intensive Serum (15 ml / 0.5 oz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |