Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Resveratrol
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
What do you think of resveratrol?

It's purported to be one of the most effective anti-aging supplements. From your experience, have you found it to be as effective as it's reputed to be?

Also, what is your opinion of other anti-aging supplements, such alpha-lipoic acid, coenzyme Q10, and grape seed extract?
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
Don't Be Conned By the Resveratrol Scam by Ray Peat:
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2011/04/26/don%E2%80%99t-be-conned-by-the-resveratrol-scam/

Part of the cultural framework that makes it easy to sell that idea is the old “rate of living” theory of aging, the idea that we have only so many heartbeats in a lifetime, that we can use only so many calories and so much oxygen in a lifetime, and that organisms with a low metabolic rate therefore live longer than those with a high metabolic rate. The rate of living theory is closely related to the “wear and tear” theory of aging, that our bodies are (except for our germ cells) made up of “post-mitotic cells,” unable to continue dividing once growth is complete, and so must die when those cells are “worn out.” By the middle of the 20th century, those ideas had been disproved in many ways, but in the 1960s Leonard Hayflick renewed for a time the doctrine of aging as the wearing out of unrenewable cells, with his doctrine that somatic cells (non-germ cells) have an absolute limit of 50 replications. Producing cloned animals from somatic cells, and the subsequent excitement about stem cells, made that theory obsolete (again).
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
You might want to post your question on this thread:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6485904#6485904

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
There is some interesting information and studies on the Sloan Kettering site

http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/herb/resveratrol

The original research that got so much attention was done on resveratrol derived from muscadine grapes. Many if not most of the products available on the market now come from the much cheaper Japanese knotwood.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:52 am      Reply with quote
My heart doctor encourages it along with Omega,calcium and a multi-vitamin for me. His skin looks amazing!!!!
I have taken it several times in the past and I do like products with it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:31 am      Reply with quote
Dr. James Johnson recommends resveratrol. What a slowed metabolism looks like:
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
Wow. Okay, on another note I had a sample of Caudalie that contained it and I really liked it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
My heart doctor encourages it along with Omega,calcium and a multi-vitamin for me. His skin looks amazing!!!!
I have taken it several times in the past and I do like products with it.

I wonder how many MGs a person would have to take a day to see positive change?
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
Resveratrol is a scam:

A tragic and stunning case of scientific fraud in studies on red wine and resveratrol
http://www.naturalnews.com/035315_red_wine_resveratrol_scientific_fraud.html
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
gretchen wrote:
Resveratrol is a scam:

A tragic and stunning case of scientific fraud in studies on red wine and resveratrol
http://www.naturalnews.com/035315_red_wine_resveratrol_scientific_fraud.html

I like PubMed for studies:
Quote:
After 60 days of treatment, values for systemic oxidative stress, plasmatic antioxidant capacity, and skin antioxidant power had increased significantly. Additionally, skin moisturization and elasticity had improved, while skin roughness and depth of wrinkles had diminished. Intensity of age spots had significantly decreased, as evidenced by improvement in the individual typological angle.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23071399
However, in another study, resveratrol supplementation in post-menopausal non-obese women did not have a positive effect on their metabolism:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23102619

So, good as antioxidant Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:15 am      Reply with quote
The punchline for resveratrol at the moment--to be more rigorously confirmed--is that it seems to be effective for those with metabolic syndrome (diabetic symptoms, cardiovascular disease, etc.), but not for regular healthy people (i.e., waste of money if you are healthy). This is also born out by a review of experiments in rodents, in which it helped diabetic rodents but did nothing for normal healthy rodents. If you do decide to supplement with it, aim for 150+ mg/day of 99+% pure trans-resveratrol (e.g., ResVida). Other formulations may not be so pure, so be aware that this will affect the dosage. I don't personally take it myself, just am knowledgeable in this area.

Mon May 27, 2024 2:23 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Extra Strength Daily Peel - Box of 30 (30 packettes of Step 1 & 2) Shira Nutriburst Peptide Day Therapy (50 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |