Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Treatment for hyperpigmentation
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ms5343

Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
I suffer from melasma on my face which I have treated fairly successfully with Obagi products (Nu Derm-blender, clear. exfoderm forte, sunscreen and retin A) in the past. However. my skin seems to have become accustomed to these products and my pigmentation is once again getting worse. I have had fruit acid peels as well. Are there any other products that anyone can recommend? Confused
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
What specific areas and problems do you have? Have you tired a Vitamin C Serum? They not only help to even out the skin tone & lighten hyperpigmentation, but they also help to reverse sun damage. WHat lightening products have you tried? (kojic acid/hyrdoquinone?)
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
You may want to try an Rx product called Tri-luma. This is used short term, I believe for no longer than 8 weeks( check with your derm. for exact dosage time). I have some hyperpigmentation and used Tri-luma. Unfortunately I had a dermatitis type reaction and stopped using it. Tri-luma is comprised of tretinoin, hydroquinone and a steroid. Caution is used because steroids can thin the skin. My derm now has me trying Lustra. It is a blend of hydroquinone and glycolic acid. I have to say I havent seen any changes and I've used it 2x/day for about one month. Crying or Very sad I do know that treating hyperpigmentation can take some time so I will continue using it. G'luck.

Lisa
mvidas

Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:36 am      Reply with quote
Hello ..

I first got Melasma when I gave birth to my third child four years ago. I got dark patches on my forehead between my eyebrows, small spot on my nose, cheeks, spots on my chin and upper lip. I was horrified by this. I always had "perfect" skin.

I then tried Obagi and it nearly faded everything. But the melasma came back, not as dark, but it came back. Obagi also did a bit of damage to my skin .. lots of broken capillaries.

I also tried Cellex-C which did a lot to fade it, without the damage Obagi did. Now, I'm wearing sunscreen even when it's cloudy because I think flourescent lights affect Melasma. I also started taking MSM a few weeks ago and don't notice anything yet. I'm toying with the idea of trying the MSM topical cream.

I'd appreciate hearing what others have tried and if anything's worked.

Thanks,
m.
ms5343

Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi M
It seems that I have a similiar experience of very dark patches on cheeks, forehead, chin and upper lip. Being a teacher this is very embarrassing. I used the Obagi (with hydroquinone) treatment which made it much lighter originally but also caused broken veins and redness. I also had 4 fruit acid peels (every 2 weeks) which were very sore and did not make that much improvement. I have used a product with glycolic acid but it had no effect at all. I always wear sunscreen no matter the weather or time of year. I then started Obagi again with Retin A and it worked for a few months but now it is having no effect at all and the pigmentation is once again becoming very noticeable. I will try the Cellex-C.
Thanks for the advice.
MS
Dabawenya62
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
Pardon my ignorance but what is MSM?

Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
MSM stands for Methylsulfonylmethane. It's commonly used for joint health. However, some people have reported that using MSM helps break up the pigmentation. My pigmentation is nowhere near as dark as it was when it first started but I still see it and wanted to treat it further.

MS: I heard there is a product by Sothys that works very well to reduce broken capillaries. I plan to purchase it next month. The Cellex-C product I used was fade away. I started using it in September and it took a few weeks before I could see fading in the pigmentation that I got through inadvertent sun exposure.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
My best success for melasma patches (from sun and babies) has been to use Retin-A at night and C serum and sunscreen each day. I alternate the Retin-A 0.05% cream with AHA serum each night. I previously had tried Hydroquinone and Retin-A but it did not do much for me. This combo ( I think the Vitamin C serum is the key) really worked very well. I do take MSM, Flaxseed oil, potassium, magnesium, zinc, C and B6 everyday, but more to ward off cystic acne than for melasma.
Gaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
Betterat40 which AHA serum do you use? Plus I heard from one person that taking alpha lipoic acid really helped take away her pigmented spots. Any thought anyone?
mvidas

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
Alpha lipoic acid internally? Or topically?

I also take a melange of vitamins / supplements: MSM, Vitamin E, Salmon & Wild Fish Oils, Multivitamin, Vitamin C, Calcium and Selenium. I figure if I'm also treating my skin from the inside out, that can only help.
Gaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
This person that said she had great results was taking it internally but I don't anything more regarding type or dosage...
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
I use the Age Limit serum from cellularskinrx.com right now. I have also used the Alpha Hydrox brand cream but it stung quite a bit even though just 8%. I guess the ph was really low. I like this one because it is not irritating but works well. And, as usual with the CSRx products, it lasts forever.
ford2m

Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
If you are suffering from melasma or hyperpigmentation, you may benefit from folic acid supplements. Sometimes during pregnancy this discoloration occurs due to the folate deficiency.

You can take 400 mcg to 800 mcg daily and it is very inexpensive.

I have both melasma and hypopigmentation on my lower cheek areas.

Since I've been taking folic acid supplements and using Skin Biology Copper Peptide Serum, it seems to be some better. I even go out in the sun some in the summer, and it doesn't get as pronounced and dark as in past years.
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
What about Obagi causes broken capillaries?!
ford2m

Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
Below is a link to an article that describes the benefits of several of the topicals discussed, as well as DMAE, Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin C, Retinol, Hydroquinone, and Kojic Acid.

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:ixRPHGaSR1cJ:www.webmd.com/content/article/65/72788.htm+alpha+lipoic+acid++hyperpigmentation&hl=enetc.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:16 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |