Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Oil Cleansing Method
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
birgit

Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Chlorophyll wrote:
^I think they are specifically looking for something that can be verified as dioxane free.

And there's really no way to know for 100% certain unless you just trust the supplier and/or manufacturer.

I *was* looking for verification, thanks! I put the question to Jenny at lotioncrafter since I was considering purchasing from them. Here's what she says:

Quote:
Hi Tiffany,

Per our manufacturer:

All ethoxylated products contain 1,4 dioxane since it is a by-product of that reaction. Our Polysorbate 80 contains less than 1 ppm of 1,4 dioxane.

So it sounds like I will need to check with the companies I buy from, but at least one has a good product, which is encouraging. Putting something healthy on my face is one of the biggest reasons I'm trying ocm, and tossing a carcinogen in there didn't make a lot of sense.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:05 am      Reply with quote
^Awesome!

I have a quick question that has probably been covered at one point or another in this thread. I do apologize, but I skimmed through much of the thread and couldn't find it covered.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody knows of anything oil soluble that you can mix with an oil/poly blend which doesn't cause separation?

I'm going to start this story out at the beginning>I had some olive oil unsaponifiables that were approaching their expiration date. So to 'use them up,' I just added it to my next batch of OCM. The only problem is that this caused the poly 80 to sink to the bottom. Hmmmmm....that sucked, lol. I assumed it was due to their dispersability in water.

Through experimentation, I found out that lecithin, squalane, *too much* FCO, and several other oil soluble additives do the same thing. Tiny amounts of ROE and/or vitamin e are pretty much the only thing I've found that don't cause this.

I'm not saying that I necessarily need to hike up the average price of my OCM, but if I ever wanted to make a special recipe, it seems like my hands are tied. Sad

I've been thinking about experimenting with that Olivem 300 for a while now, and I think this could work. It's decidedly more oil soluble than polys, anyhow. I don't have any in my inventory quite yet, though.

Does anybody have any ideas or experience with this sort of thing?
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Olive oil is lovely on the skin but requires a lot of steaming to properly remove without leaving a waxy coating. It is my prime reason why I dont use it for OCM. I was recently given a sample of Cherry Kernel Oil and was pleased with it as a cleanser. It feels slightly thick going on. But a simple pass with a warm, damp microfibre cloth removes all traces of it and any makeup as well. It's a great oil for daily cleansing that doesn't need things like poly's or copious steaming to remove.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:04 am      Reply with quote
gabbypet wrote:
Well I am now on day 8 of OCM nightly, I ended up doing a blend of 50% castor, 30% Grapeseed Oil, 15% Apricot Seed Oil, 5% Poly 80 plus 3-4 drops lemon tea tree oil.

I massage for 1min, rest 30 sec. I repeat that 3x. Then I do the hot steam cloth 3x also.

Nothing major has happened, pores still look the same(clogged), and NOTHING has come out of them as of yet(I have to admit I am a bit deflated). My skin feels ok, not crazy amazing, not too different than any other cleanser I have used in the past. I notice a slight slight tightening on the sides of my nose(ironically my oiliest area normally), but not enough to convince me to add more oil as a moisturizer as the rest of my face feels ok. Reading past posts, I have made sure to at least use a swipe of Neaclear toner on my hairline and along my chin/neck as a precaution because I can't be 1000% sure that I am getting all the oil off.

On my non-OCM cleaning, I am switching between Image skin care Oramedic Cleanser(NO SLS in it) and Garden of Wisdom Castor/Castille cleanser, Blueberry cleanser, Oat/Honey CLeanser(a little trio pack I tried). I will stick with it, but boy am I anxious to get my pores unclogged!!!!!

Gabbypet,

Here's something that helped me. I do 2 things: I warm the oil before I apply it (quite warm/moderate heat) and I steam open the pores on my face. Both make a big difference. I hope you can get it to work for you Smile

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:01 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry to hear about your breakouts. I am wondering if you used organic and "hexane-free" castor oil and an organic secondary oil? I have read that sometimes what people are reacting to are either pesticides or chemicals used to distill the castor oil. As to another writer's comment about castor oil helping with an ankle problem, YES! Castor oil used in a "castor oil pack" will help heal a twisted ankle or back, etc. Just google that term and you will find loads of info and videos on how to make this. Such an inexpensive treatment!
Crystalriesugar

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
My hubby suffers from back acne. Not just a break out here or there but an all the time itchy, pimply back. Sad It is quite painful. The Dr's have always wanted to prescribe lotions that they say will bleach our sheets, and we are not interested in that. I have recently been using an ACV rinse on his back, which is helping. I was wondering if anyone has done OCM, and how would you do the steaming part, when you are doing a full back? TIA for any suggestions.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Crystalriesugar wrote:
how would you do the steaming part, when you are doing a full back? TIA for any suggestions.

I have never done this but maybe you could wet a couple of bigger towels with hot water and then wring them out and put them on his back. Or put a wet towel in the microwave for just a bit. Obviously you wouldn't make it hot enough to burn him. I don't know if it would work but it might be worth a try. Or he could just take a hot shower.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:36 am      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
Crystalriesugar wrote:
how would you do the steaming part, when you are doing a full back? TIA for any suggestions.

I have never done this but maybe you could wet a couple of bigger towels with hot water and then wring them out and put them on his back. Or put a wet towel in the microwave for just a bit. Obviously you wouldn't make it hot enough to burn him. I don't know if it would work but it might be worth a try. Or he could just take a hot shower.

Thanks, I'm sure he won't mind a back massage to try it out! Thanks again
Spagirl21

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:32 am      Reply with quote
Hi I am interested in how you make the aspirin mask, as I also have breakouts, some white spots on my face what are flat but are not milia and wondered if this cleansing method And how you mix ur aspirin mask for breakouts and how it's cleared up broken capparillies, which I also have around my nose. Lastly, I read somewhere on here it helps to grow lashes and hair? Thank you.
snowtopia
5% products discount

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:11 am      Reply with quote
Hi there Spagirl,

You should check out the recipe index at the start of this forum for asprin mask recipes. There are also multiple topic threads on eyelash and eyebrow growth products.

Happy hunting Very Happy
mixedcolors

Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, I just joined, I was so glad to find this thread. I've starting to whole oil cleansing process, though I have not done castor oil or olive oil. I started with Coconut oil, and I don't really care for it, I'll see if it helps my hair, I certainly don't want to throw the jar out, there is other usage for it. My skin is slightly itchy and I think that is a lack of moisture. I bought Rose Hip and put a little on it, but my face is still dry.

To be honest I don't really know what kind of skin I have. It feels oily after I've cleaned and moisture it, but not OVERLY oily. So maybe I could make the Caster/Jojoba mix for oily skin?

My biggest concern right now and please forgive me if this has come up many times in the thread, I've read many pages but didn't see anything on it. I'm use to wearing a moisturizer with SPF in it, and since oil doesn't have that (or does it?) should I use a moisture with the oil treatment? I wanted to stop all the products I was using to see if that can clear my skin up, but I still want to protect my skin.

Also does it matter if jojoba oil is in a plastic bottle? I've read that it shouldn't be, but I honestly can't pay an arm and leg for a more expensive bottle, even if its "better". Is there something I can just buy to store it in?

Any advice?
mixedcolors

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
So I started using the Castor oil 3 days ago along with Jojoba Oil, and I'm breaking out like crazy, pimples, white heads. I see my pore are opening up with blackhead but it seems like nothing is clearing. Is this normal? I haven't had this bad of acne since my early 20's (I'm 27). I'm only doing it for 10 minutes a day, I can't do anymore then that, my skin will get irritated from the rubbing, its also making me itch, its driving me nuts. I hope this isn't some allergic issue that my skin is having.

I'll stick with this for awhile but hopefully this will clear up. :?
Zhenzhen
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think any oil product even which claims that it is for balance can be a good choice for oily skin.
Actually,people with oily skin usually clean their skin too much.
Besides, no handcraft soap! Always use soap-free cleanser.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
I've been doing the OCM for a little over 1 week now. I have been using the warm wash cloths to get rid of the oil, but I feel that the oil doesn't wash off very well in the wash. I can't feel any oiliness on the towels necessarily, but I know that the oil hasn't rinsed off completely because I can still smell it. Therefore, I've been taking a super tiny amount of regular cleanser to take off the oil. I moisturize afterwards with a bit of jojoba oil. Is it okay that I wash the oil off with a regular cleanser? My organic cleansers don't work very well in removing the oil, so I use this Olay foam wash. Do you think that is okay? It's not like I am alternating between the OCM and regular cleanser washing. On my off days, I just cleanse with honey. My cleanser is used only to make sure my oil has been completely taken off my face. Please let me know if I am messing up the OCM process! I am just worried because my face is purging and looks really bad. It's making me quite depressed Sad
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
^I think the best of both worlds for you would be to make an emulsified oil.

This is just me sharing: When I have very VERY heavy makeup on (like for Halloween) I will wash my face with a foaming cleanser, and then follow up with ocm to help replenish the lipids I stripped. So I do it backwards, lol.

I mean, both ways are going to work out fine. Both of them ensure that less fatty acids and oil soluble ingredients are being removed from your skin. It just depends on how you want to go about it. But if I were using ocm *before* a normal surfactant/water cleanser, I would use mostly mineral oil for the ocm. I read from a few sources that it is a better solubizer. (To me personally, it seems that castor oil is harsher/more cleansing than mo, but that's totally anecdotal. I have nothing to back it up with.)
JacobMiller
5% products discount

Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
The oil cleansing method, often abbreviated to OCM, is a system for cleaning a human face using oils. The basic method uses a mixture of 80% extra virgin olive oil and 20% castor oil. It is use for Clear, glowing, dewy-looking skin, free of blackheads, pimples, cysts, and other imperfections seems to be an elusive goal.
iloveorganics

Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
Chlorophyll: I know the emulsified oils would be a better option, but Polysorbate 80 is unfortunately not a natural product, and although I don't know all the harm it causes, I do know it's not good for the body. Sad The same goes for mineral oil. I just don't feel comfortable rubbing and massaging it into my skin. I know many people do not care about it, but I try to use all-natural products for my skin (and not relevant, but for household products as well), therefore am trying to go for an all-natural option. I know that using a commercial cleanser to wash off the oil isn't exactly a natural method either, but I feel better that I use it for at most 5 seconds before washing it off.

I've actually been taking a wet paper towel to wipe the oil off my face. Anyone think that's a bad idea? I feel that it's way less harsh than the wash towels, but that is just me.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
Before I started adding an emulsifier, I steamed the oil off (or just let warm shower steam help break it down for a few minutes.) Have you tried that yet? I'm not really sure how it helps, other than the temperature, but it does! After you steam, just wipe/rinse off with whatever feels gentle to your skin.

If you're going more natural/organic, Olay is a bad choice imo. Most of their cleansers contain fragrance and whatnot. I heard tale of a gal who added "a small amount" of liquid castile soap to a mix of oils, but I have no way of knowing what she considered "a small amount." Of course, that would crank up the alkalinity...but that's easily remedied by an acidic toner and/or serum. I'm just throwing this out as an idea because you said you wanted something more natural. Soap is about as natural as it gets, eh? Very Happy
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I just thought it may be of interest. I' ve used OCM system intermitently over the last two years (sometimes every day, sometimes nothing at all for a week, always with olive oil and castor oil, haven't experimented much in this sense as my logical mind tended to think it was for cleansing and was going to be washed off so there was no point on thinking about other benefits rather than cleansing off debris in a skin friendly way,.. just my thoughts), but my interest in "oils" has always been there, so...
I wanted to share that I've been experimenting with "sesame oil", not for cleansing but for applying after Retin-A (tretinoin), because my skin became very dry and scaly, I used vaseline which helped and also the sesame oil and liked it very much.
I researched this oil after the good it made me to recover from the tretinoin and learnt it was good for oily pimply skin as it is bactericidal.

"http://addictedtoblush.blogspot.com.es/2010/08/sesame-oil-for-skin.html
Sesame oil has the ability to attract and trap toxins that are soluble in oil. This detoxification of the skin can be done by applying warm sesame oil to the skin, let it stay for around 15 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water without using any soap.
Topical application of sesame oil is also known to be beneficial in the treatment and cure of skin related disorders like psoriasis and eczema.
Sesame oil is also very beneficial in the cure and prevention of acne due to its oil pulling properties."

So, I decided to give a sample to my goddaughter for her pimples, plus adding some jojoba oil and some drops of tea tree oil, and it has been great! Again not for OCM, though I expect it would be good too, but to apply as a night treatment.
Thought it would be good to share it may be a good oil (sesame oil) to use in OCM to prevent pimples for its bacterial effects.
havana8

Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
re-posting for dermanut

dermanut wrote:
These days I am very concerned about the pH
levels in facial bars, cleansers--lets not talk about a
high pH in regular bar of soap I have a dry skin.
even after moisturizing, I don't see any oil on my face and I am talking about 4 days later .

for the past 8 months, I have been using a pure,castile soap with cold pressed olive oil.
I think it is too strong because i am noticing light strange marks on my face--I might add it took all those months.

I am now contemplating an olive oil wash straight from the bottle.

Can you tell me-- am I barking up the right tree Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
dermanut

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
Is it really necessary to use a hot face cloth
to get rid of the excess oils. I do have dry skin seems to soak the oils up good.

What about the Ph of this method. By the way I just use Cold pressed Olive oil.
dermanut

Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
About the Oil Cleansing Method I am worried it will deep clean worse than a high Ph soap.
In other words a striping! I have thin delicate skin and very dry. I do realize about exfoliation has to be done even for my skin. I know you are going to hit the roof, but I use Vasoline for that. Do not talk to me about a rub ,scrub anything.
dermanut

Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
Will I get away with Olive oil only to cleanse
the face. I don't have blackheads or whatever.
I don't believe I need a deep clean.

More worried about the high alkaline in the soaps
and all the chemicles in the cleansers.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
dermanut wrote:
Will I get away with Olive oil only to cleanse
the face. I don't have blackheads or whatever.
I don't believe I need a deep clean.

More worried about the high alkaline in the soaps
and all the chemicles in the cleansers.

I use olive oil only and it seems to work for me. I alternate that with plain water washes. I don't like scrubs so the exfoliating I do is with my wash cloth. Like on days that I do plain water washes, I just have water spraying on my face from the showerhead while I use a face cloth to "massage" my face and take the dirt off.

(This plain water idea I learned from a friend who had oily skin--I had dry combination--but her baby-like skin intrigued me and made me willing to try this. It seemed not using anything on my face made it not feel dry and by day two of this no produt regimen, my skin actually read "oily" on the strips at the Body Shop. I alternate OCM with this because I believe in "moderation in all things".)
dermanut

Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:48 am      Reply with quote
I agree with you on laying off the cleansers.
All this agony I have been having with noticing things like strange, little brown marks. I realized that something in not quite right. I have come to the conclusion that It might be an alkaline problem and my skin is drying slowly.
A splash of water and occasional OCM regimen
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:54 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |