Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

EmerginC Crease Ease Emulsion (50 ml) Institut Esthederm Derm Repair Restructuring Serum (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Obagi
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
I'm new to this site so if we've been down this road before - sorry.

I recently tried Obagi at the recommendation of an esthetician because I wanted a new skin care line. I was not unhappy with my skin - I just wanted a quality recommendation before dumping money on a guess of my own. Well, after two weeks, I looked like a freak of nature. No peeling (which is what I was told would happen), but, instead, a face full of grease and pimples when I've never had break-outs before.

Obagi has a forum but I get the sense that the people who report "success" on that forum (many report scary failures) are a bit "cultish." They claim results that I, frankly, find unbelievable. 50 year-old woman claiming to look 30. I'm just not buying it - at least not with Obagi alone and not alot of other "work."

I thought this site would provide me with a broader group to tell me their Obagi thoughts. I hate to tank the whole thing having spent so much money but I'm really not okay looking freakish.
Lili
5% products discount

Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:18 am      Reply with quote
Stop using it!!! It sounds like you are having a bad reaction to the hydroquinone; are you also using Retin-A with it, as recommended? I have tried Obagi a few times, and have really bad reactions to the retin-a -- it's too harsh for my rosacea-prone skin. It's NOT a cure-all for everyone. But I do like the Clear, for removing hyperpigmentation.
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:49 am      Reply with quote
As with all products, it depends on your skin. This thread has some other info on Obagi; maybe worth a read. As well, I think that you should go back to the person that sold it to you, and ask their advice. If you think it is the Retin A, cut back a bit...

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5361&highlight=obagi

5% products discount

Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
I too was unimpressed with the Obagi regimen. It took my skin from combination/normal to an oil slick in about a month. At first, my Dr. thought maybe the Retin-A wasn't strong enough, so she put me on .10 instead of .05. The same results - no peeling, no redness, just yucky, oily skin with more breakouts than normal. After 3 months, I had had enough.

I recently read that some people just aren't helped by Retin-A and the cream base can be comedogenic for them as well.

Wish I could find that great regimen that works- I thought Obagi would be the answer to my breakout prone skin, but it made it worse.
Lili
5% products discount

Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:25 am      Reply with quote
Actually, the commercial retin-a creams all supposedly contain isopropyl myristate (sp?), a common allergen and comedogen. Susan RN on the YTF boards knows a compounding pharmacy that can make you a retin-a cream without this ingredient. Worth a try.
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:58 am      Reply with quote
Interesting. I'm trying a new spa and the esthetician there indicated that, in her experience, Obagi is for folks with substantial skin issues. Folks with minor skin issues who are generally satisfied with their skin seem to have the same "oil slick" experience that I had. She's going to address my only issue- mild forehead hyperpigmentation from sun exposure- with glycolic peels. Otherwise, I'm using the skin care line created by the spa and in only a week, I can tell that I just love it. Thanks for all of the responses. I feel a bit more validated walking away from Obagi at this point.
Debra
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
I used the Obagi Nu-Derm line, along with prescription retin-A, for six months, during a series of laser resurfacing and microderm abrasion sessions at my derms office. I have dry skin, and don't have problems with acne or breakouts, and my skin is not prone to sensitivity. My derm recommended it for my desire for a good anti-ageing regime with skin lightening. I think the Obagi system worked well with the office treatments, especially the Clear. I did go through a few weeks of uglies with redness and peeling, but it was temporary, and my skin showed substantial positive results. Everyone's skin needs are so unique. Just another instance of what works for one will not always work for another.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:31 am      Reply with quote
I had the same experience as you. It wasn't the retin-A, for me at least. I have use retin-a for years before and I use it now without a problem. I used obagi for probably about three months and my face just kept getting oilier and oilier and more acne than I had seen in a long time. As other posters have said, everyone is individual and reacts differently.
BigHead
5% products discount

Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:54 am      Reply with quote
Just want to share my experience about Obagi.

I have previously posted some message regarding my "BATTLE" with acneic skin. Lately, I went to see a dermatologist for the first time. She recommended me to use Obagi. However, she said even Obagi might not be enough to clear up all my acne and suspected that needle jobs are needed after the Obagi treatment.

I bought the Obagi products (everything in the kit selling at EDS, but without Exfoderm Shock ) at the derm office (for way more expensive price to include several times of monitoring visits).

The package is definitely not attractive. The texture of the products are not nice too. However, I do feel that obagi is STRONG (may be together with Retin-A, Dalacin, and oral medication all using at the same time). With only a week of use, I can see acnes on my cheeks are flattened (not cleared up yet).

I agree with you guys that it makes the skin much more oily and makes skin more prone to whiteheads. Since I have been well informed that this is temporary, I will keep on using it and looking forward to see my derm for follow up visits.

My face is now red and peeling (even though I didn't apply the products to my neck... my neck is peeling too). Now, I finally realize that the price that I paid for the included derm office visits are worth paying. At least, I have a professional to assure me that my redness and peeling are actually OK.

I seriously think that having a derm to direct you to the right products saves me a lot of time and money to find the right skincare products on my own.

I will update my condition with you guys as time progress.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
I thought I'd add that even though I don't have acne and haven't used Obagi, I have used retin-A for a period of 8 weeks. The reactions that many mention with Obagi are what I had with retin-A, so maybe that's more of the problem...not sure.

Anyway, my derm told me that redness/peeling was normal for the first 2-3 weeks and then my skin would adapt. After 8 weeks of intense peeling/redness, I finally gave it up. I don't have sensitive skin, but I never could "adjust" to the retin-A. I wouldn't say it made my skin oily though, but it did look extremely shiny all of the time b/c the older layer of skin was gone. I'd compare it to some bald guys heads that you can practically see your reflection in. Not a good look! Shock
Debra
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
Quote:
I'd compare it to some bald guys heads that you can practically see your reflection in. Not a good look!

Is this the "natural glow" that we're all working towards? Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
I thought I'd add that even though I don't have acne and haven't used Obagi, I have used retin-A for a period of 8 weeks. The reactions that many mention with Obagi are what I had with retin-A, so maybe that's more of the problem...not sure.

Anyway, my derm told me that redness/peeling was normal for the first 2-3 weeks and then my skin would adapt. After 8 weeks of intense peeling/redness, I finally gave it up. I don't have sensitive skin, but I never could "adjust" to the retin-A. I wouldn't say it made my skin oily though, but it did look extremely shiny all of the time b/c the older layer of skin was gone. I'd compare it to some bald guys heads that you can practically see your reflection in. Not a good look! Shock

That's really strange-thanks for validating something for me. I remember posting on the Green Cream site that I didn't like retin-a because, after a while, although I had minimal irritation, I walked around with a strange 'sheen' on my face. I wondered if Green Cream had the same effect. Kevin at Green Cream thought this was really funny. I started wondering if it was all in my head.Also, it was almost as if make-up wouldn't 'take' on my face. Foundation etc. would all sink in & disappear. I don't think retinol has the same effect-at least not to the same extent-just in case I only use it 2X a week.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
Marina - I've just added retinol into my routine and I'm only using it ever other day max since I didn't want to have that effect again. So far so good, but it's only been about a week.

It's been over a year since I tried the retin-A, but after reading that these products are supposed to be the best at renewing the skin, I thought I'd give it another go. Smile

By the way, how do you paste quotes from other members? I tried copying and pasting but it didn't list the "Marina: Quote:" part first. I assume you use the quote button but I don't know how to do that either Embarassed [/quote]
Mabsy

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:34 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
By the way, how do you paste quotes from other members? I tried copying and pasting but it didn't list the "Marina: Quote:" part first. I assume you use the quote button but I don't know how to do that either Embarassed

FYI, I just split the discussion on how to quote (that followed this post) and placed it into The Lounge here: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=67499 so as to not detract from the Obagi discussion Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
I bought the whole obagi line after having a consultation with Dr Obagi himself. I went though the whole scary phase of greasiness and zits, followed by the redness and flakiness. I saw no improvement with my skin whatsoever and the flakiness never went away after 3 months. I hid in the house for weeks because I truly looked like a freak.

I also started to experience facial flushing episodes. The flushing finally went away months after I stopped obagi.

All in all, a pure waste of money for me.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
I used the obagi entire system for over 2 years through an esthetician and a plastic surgeon's office. While I belive it works for some, I received limited results. I have very oily skin and had blackheads. After two years of treatment, my skin was better, but I still had blackheads and oily skin. I hated the red/ peeling from the retin-A, also.

I quit. I am now using gycolic acid and TCA Peels that I get from MakeUp Artists Choice(over the Internet). I have only a few blackheads now, my pores are noticeably smaller, and even fine in all except the oil prone areas. I think I am finely going to end up with the skin I have always wanted. People who haven't seen me in some time remark about how great I look and how I just "glow". Several old flames have told me I look fabulous and to call them. So...I guess it boils down to just finding what skin care system works for you. I am thrilled with my improved skin. I wish I had known about the gycolic acid/ TCA Peels earlier. I could have saved myself litereally thousands of dollars and achieved the results that have elluded me for so long. Yes, I know that I am blessed to have oily skin, but I didn't feel lucky when my face looked like an oil slick and I caked makeup on to "hide" my blackheads and large pores. I like my skin now, and can finally go without makeup and not feel embarrassed. It's progress and I wanted to share this with others on this forum.

Destin Girl
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
destingirl wrote:
I quit. I am now using gycolic acid and TCA Peels that I get from MakeUp Artists Choice(over the Internet). I have only a few blackheads now, my pores are noticeably smaller, and even fine in all except the oil prone areas. I think I am finely going to end up with the skin I have always wanted. People who haven't seen me in some time remark about how great I look and how I just "glow". Several old flames have told me I look fabulous and to call them. So...I guess it boils down to just finding what skin care system works for you. I am thrilled with my improved skin. I wish I had known about the gycolic acid/ TCA Peels earlier. I could have saved myself litereally thousands of dollars and achieved the results that have elluded me for so long. Yes, I know that I am blessed to have oily skin, but I didn't feel lucky when my face looked like an oil slick and I caked makeup on to "hide" my blackheads and large pores. I like my skin now, and can finally go without makeup and not feel embarrassed. It's progress and I wanted to share this with others on this forum. Destin Girl

Destin Girl - your post is encouraging and validating! I'm glad to hear that you had such great results with the glycolic peels and I'm going to book one with my esthetician soon.

Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:23 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Hydra-Gel Eye Patches (60 patches) Blinc The Rare Gem Palette (1.1 g x 12) Osmotics Cream Extreme Intensive Repair (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |