Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Vie Collection Mela White Radiance Brightening Essence (150 ml / 5 floz) Doctor Babor Cleanformance Renewal Overnight Mask (75 ml)
RAVE!! Skin Actives Sea kelp Bioferment
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="MelissaMarie

Maybe shes talking about a sas mixture, they've come up with, you can find it on their site, they seem to be having pretty good results.

Ok stupid question of the day....I hate this stuff on my face, truely balls up everything, so would the same be said of the hair, or no?[/quote]

Thanks for reminding me about the sas mixture..jeez, anyone tried this. And NO it definitely doen't ball up on your hair, it actually rinses out amazingly well. I tried adding it to my conditionner but it diluted it too much. I'm planning to try it with my deep conditionner which is slightly to..uh...'deep'Now I must try it as a styling gel...I definitely need more of this stuff...
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
[quote="MelissaMarie

Maybe shes talking about a sas mixture, they've come up with, you can find it on their site, they seem to be having pretty good results.

Ok stupid question of the day....I hate this stuff on my face, truely balls up everything, so would the same be said of the hair, or no?
Thanks for reminding me about the sas mixture..jeez, anyone tried this. And NO it definitely doen't ball up on your hair, it actually rinses out amazingly well. I tried adding it to my conditionner but it diluted it too much. I'm planning to try it with my deep conditionner which is slightly to..uh...'deep'Now I must try it as a styling gel...I definitely need more of this stuff...[/quote]

TY for ur reply, happy little camper on clean rinse out, do you also use this in ur shampoo, or am I drunk again, and all only use in conditioner?

ohohoh new question, since it balls on my face, how would it be in body stuff?
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
O.K. Now I hadn't thought about body stuff...it isn't THAT cheap. So far I use it with shampoo-equal amounts. I tried with my conditioner but it diluted it so it wasn't conditioned..now someone with less dry or flat hair would probably love it..or I'll try mixing it with my John Masters hibiscus cond. which is great, but a bit too heavy. SAS also sent a couple of scent to mix so I'll try it as a leave-in. They also sent a base to make a shampoo but I don't know what to do with it Embarassed
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
O.K. Now I hadn't thought about body stuff...it isn't THAT cheap. So far I use it with shampoo-equal amounts. I tried with my conditioner but it diluted it so it wasn't conditioned..now someone with less dry or flat hair would probably love it..or I'll try mixing it with my John Masters hibiscus cond. which is great, but a bit too heavy. SAS also sent a couple of scent to mix so I'll try it as a leave-in. They also sent a base to make a shampoo but I don't know what to do with it Embarassed

Decyl glucoside and cocamidopropyl are very mild surfactants (foaming agents).The decyl glucoside with the sea kelp and distilled water make a very nice cleanser. The cocamidopropyl betaine and distilled water make a very nice shampoo. Use more or less depending on the amount of foaming you want.

I add 3 crushed aspirin to 2.5 oz of the sea kelp for a salicylic wash and add enough distilled water to get the consistency I want.

My shampoo recipe which has a lot of nice stuff (really rich in nutrients and aloe vera gel and honey) is posted on here somewhere.

Hope this helps.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks! Off to look for recipes...
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
i actually love the smell of the seakelp bioferment, it reminds of agar agar jelly.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:

well I was thinking about only added a percent to lotion, like is being done with shampoo, conditioner ect..so wouldn't be that expensive. But don't want it balling up on my arms, legs, tummy..ect
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
The sea kelp will ball up if used straight or just with water. Once you add the surfactant or a lotion with "slip", it really shouldn't.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
The sea kelp will ball up if used straight or just with water. Once you add the surfactant or a lotion with "slip", it really shouldn't.

Ari

thanks!! But I think it might since sas's eyecream does on me, as well as any of their serums with it, but I might give a wee bit a go and test it out.
Janna
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
Melissa said:
Quote:
....I hate this stuff on my face, truely balls up everything, so would the same be said of the hair, or no?

It does the same thing to me Melissa. Any cream or serum with sea kelp in it just balls up on my face. Sad That's why I only use it in my shampoo and cleansers. It's very frustrating because I love the stuff.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
There are a bunch of threads on the SAS forum about what to use to prevent the skb from balling up. It did ball up when I mixed with a leave-in hair cream, but not a serum.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
Janna wrote:
Melissa said:
Quote:
....I hate this stuff on my face, truely balls up everything, so would the same be said of the hair, or no?

It does the same thing to me Melissa. Any cream or serum with sea kelp in it just balls up on my face. Sad That's why I only use it in my shampoo and cleansers. It's very frustrating because I love the stuff.

It's lovely in shampoo! I've been using it shampoo for the past few months and it makes my hair grow like nothing else!

For creams - maybe you are adding too much? For a 1oz jar of cream, I mix in about a 1/2 tsp of the sea kelp.
Janna
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know. I have never tried to mix it into any of my diy face potions. I figured that if SAS's DMAE serum, Anti-wrinkle cream, and Bright I Cream all ball up, so would anything I make.
Janna
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
Maiea,
Like you, I love it mixed in my shampoo. It just makes my hair so healthy. Such good nutrition!
maiea
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:29 am      Reply with quote
Janna: the SAS DMAE serum is pretty bad with the balling up, as is the marine serum. I've never tried their creams though, but I was never that fond of the SAS Canvas cream myself, I felt like it never sank into my skin, and with added sea kelp, I think it would sit on top of the skin even more. If you want to attempt the sea kelp in a moisturizer, I'd suggest a tiny bit of a very light moisturizer lotion (the runny type) with the sea kelp though, I haven't had any balling up problems with the 1/2tsp in 1oz in a light lotion base (I've used charmzone and missha and both have been fine).

Actually, I also add in a teaspoon of the sea kelp into my bottle of body lotion! Very Happy
dancar3
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
I love adding the sea kelp to my DHC cleansing oil containter. I have an extra bottle so I do about a 50/50 mixture. It doesn't blend well at all until you shake the container before each use and then it's great. The oil cleanser by itself dried out my skin a bit during the winter months and would be irritated at times, but with the added sea kelp, my face continues to be smooth, soft, and nonirratated....it just loves this!
periwinkle1974

Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
katee wrote:
I have to say that while I appreciate the existence of skinactivescom cause its a great place to buy small quantities of actives, I find their board to be completely useless.

I've yet to find anyone there who knows what the hell they're talking about. For the most part, they just mix EVERYTHING they can get their hands on together into some glop. Now that Hannah is formulating finished products, all they do is praise her. God forbid you should ask a question about something! If it even remotely challenges her way of thinking, it is strictly verboten !

It's a shame really, because she does have a great deal of knowledge. The only formulation of hers that I tried was the eye cream, when they sent it to me as a sample. It's quite affordable and I really liked it. In fact, I reviewed it here on an earlier thread....

Agree completely...I used to post frequently at SAS and Hannah's replies are downright RUDE. While I wish I could ask my questions in a safe environment there, I am afraid of being insulted by Hannah. I really wish she would be more considerate in her postings! Crying or Very sad
maiea
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:16 am      Reply with quote
periwinkle1974 wrote:

Agree completely...I used to post frequently at SAS and Hannah's replies are downright RUDE. While I wish I could ask my questions in a safe environment there, I am afraid of being insulted by Hannah. I really wish she would be more considerate in her postings! Crying or Very sad

I actually have to second this - I find some of her replies to be very terse.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:02 am      Reply with quote
Based on discussion here last night I put
some of the Sea Kelp bioferment directly on my clean damp hair (rubbed a bit on my hands and then ran my hands through my hair). I left it on (did not wash out). This morning my hair looks fine. More body than normal and no stiff or stickiness.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:53 am      Reply with quote
periwinkle1974 wrote:
katee wrote:
I have to say that while I appreciate the existence of skinactivescom cause its a great place to buy small quantities of actives, I find their board to be completely useless.

I've yet to find anyone there who knows what the hell they're talking about. For the most part, they just mix EVERYTHING they can get their hands on together into some glop. Now that Hannah is formulating finished products, all they do is praise her. God forbid you should ask a question about something! If it even remotely challenges her way of thinking, it is strictly verboten !

It's a shame really, because she does have a great deal of knowledge. The only formulation of hers that I tried was the eye cream, when they sent it to me as a sample. It's quite affordable and I really liked it. In fact, I reviewed it here on an earlier thread....

I ask forgiveness in advance for what I'm about to post because I know it's not the popular view. I am a member of both of these forums (among others) and do a lot of independent research. I do not just mix everything into a "glop". My potions & lotions are planned. At least one of my recipes has made its way over here and I'm terribly flattered.

The skinactives' forum has a lot of new members who ask the same questions without searching (we've noticed that here, too). I get frustrated with that almost as much as Hannah does. Most of the older members, me included, post very seldom or not at all anymore. So, Hannah ends up repeating endlessly and there isn't as much exchange between the members as before. I miss that.

Plus, it's rather difficult for some people to come across well in writing when most of your experience has been in technical writing and English isn't your first language. Hannah is completely different in person than she is in writing and can be hysterically funny. Surprised? So was I.

And, yes, I've been on the "receiving end" from Hannah on the forum a few times and it didn't feel good. Embarassed And, I have gotten frustrated at times over the way she responds to posts and manages the forum.

But, having said all that, I have to add balance by saying I've learned a lot from her, too. Even when I disagree with her, I, now, can back up my position much better than before. I'm much more interested in information than in the presentation of it.

The finished products Skinactives now offers has been in response to specific requests from members of the forum. Not everyone is completely comfortable with DIY and, sure, they're gonna be grateful. In much the same way, while I do mostly DIY, I love Candy's products and buy from her. Candy makes a much better C Serum than I do. Hannah takes suggestions on those products very well. And, on occasion, while she has initially "blown off" a suggestion regarding a finished product, she has done more research and implemented it.

Just my 2cents.

Ari

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
Ari,
I hear what you're saying and I do agree that the written word can be easily misinterpreted, but I truly find it hard to believe that an educated person (as Hannah is )does not know when they are being sarcastic and rude. Doubt Especially when there are many examples of that same person being nice and friendly to a select few. :

Anyway, I do respect her knowledge and expertise and have learned a lot from the SAS website. I just don't post there anymore.

On another note, what is the recipe you are talking about?
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
Girls,

Please be patient as I've mentioned the lead time is 2 weeks. They're suppose to ship it out to me on the 18th which is Thursday. I should be getting a confirmation from Fedex on shipment and probabaly get routing # also so that I may track it.

Once I know the shipping charges and am sure the kelp is in route, I will let everyone know about the costs and so forth.

Thanks for your patience!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:
Girls,

Please be patient as I've mentioned the lead time is 2 weeks. They're suppose to ship it out to me on the 18th which is Thursday. I should be getting a confirmation from Fedex on shipment and probabaly get routing # also so that I may track it.

Once I know the shipping charges and am sure the kelp is in route, I will let everyone know about the costs and so forth.

Thanks for your patience!

haha... thanks Aries ... I was *just* about to send you a PM. I've been incorporating sea kelp bioferment into just about everything and am totally in love with this stuff.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
Janna wrote:
Ari,
I hear what you're saying and I do agree that the written word can be easily misinterpreted, but I truly find it hard to believe that an educated person (as Hannah is )does not know when they are being sarcastic and rude. Doubt Especially when there are many examples of that same person being nice and friendly to a select few. :

Anyway, I do respect her knowledge and expertise and have learned a lot from the SAS website. I just don't post there anymore.

On another note, what is the recipe you are talking about?

Janna, I'm sorry I'm just now seeing your post. I tend to agree. But, hey, I'm a Libra and need to balance views.

Anyway, I'm sorry I don't understand your question regarding a recipe. Do you mean my reference to the shampoo recipe? If so, do a search on shampoo with katee as author. A thread called "Katee's shampoo variations" (or something like that) comes up. The shampoo recipe is there.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:00 am      Reply with quote
*Just an update*

Emailed them since I didn't receive any email confirmation and packing info was transmitted to Fedex who should be picking up the shipment today from them. Delivery date is for the 22nd which means I should have it by Monday. They have yet to pick up the package (Fedex that is) so haven't been billed for shipping costs. Once I know, I'll let everyone know the price. I should start sending out your packages early-mid next week!

Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Extra Strength Daily Peel - Box of 30 (30 packettes of Step 1 & 2) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Vie Collection Mela White Radiance Brightening Essence (150 ml / 5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |