Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Institut Esthederm Derm Repair Restructuring Serum (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Hydra-Gel Eye Patches (60 patches)
Essential Oil Guide for Skin and Hair
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:37 am      Reply with quote
Hey y'all -

You know I'm fond of making my own skin and haircare products, and while researching various essential oils to add to my homemade Apple Cider Vinegar Toner and/or Dr. Holland's Cleansing Cream, I found a great website the provides specific info on essential oils and their use in skin and/or haircare. Here's the link: http://www.standinghorse.com/soothingessentials/berga.html (see "Essential Oils Page One" and "Essential Oils Page Two"),but I'm going to post some of the highlights, so here goes:

• BERGAMOT: Antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, aids in the healing of wounds and scars. Astringent, good for oily skin. Used for acne, eczema, spots, cold sores, boils, wounds.

• CLARY SAGE: Antiseptic, aids in the regeneration of skin cells, wrinkles, anti-inflammatory, also helpful for acne, boils, inflammation, psoriasis, eczema. Helps cuts, wounds and burns to heal. Useful for hair care controls the production of sebum, oily hair, dandruff; discourages hair growth.

• CYPRESS: Regulates oil production, best for oily and over-hydrated skin. Used to treat excessive perspiration, wounds, frostbite, acne and cellulitis.

• EUCALYPTUS: Analgesic, antiseptic, helps wounds to heal, aids in the forming of scar tissue, used for burns, cuts, blisters, ulcers, wounds.

• FENNEL: Anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, stimulates circulation, used for dull and oily skin, bruises, cellulitis, wrinkles.

• FRANKINCENSE: Anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, astringent, helps wounds and scars to heal; very good for dry and mature skin, used for wrinkles (was used for embalming).

• GERANIUM: Especially good for oily and dull skin , but it can be used for all skin types. Antiseptic, fungicidal, cleansing, mildly pain-relieving, reduces inflammation, stops bleeding, promotes the forming of scar tissue, helps wounds to heal. Used for acne, bruises, burns, cuts, broken capillaries, dermatitis, cellulitis, eczema, ulcers, wounds.

• GINGER: Used to treat varicose veins and cellulitis.

• LAVENDER: Antiseptic, controls the production of sebum, stimulates circulation in the skin. Assists in the healing of wounds (aids in the formation of scar tissue) and helps to rejuvenate the skin. Used to treat acne, cuts, burns, sunburn, inflammation, psoriasis, wrinkles.

• LEMON: Assists in the formation of scar tissue. Antiseptic, astringent, controls the production of sebum, used for oily skin ,and acne. Revitalizes the skin by improving circulation and encouraging the elimination of wastes (used for cellulitis); gently exfoliates the complexion. With long application reduces broken capillaries and varicose veins, softens scar tissue on scars and corns. It is also said to strengthen brittle nails.

• MARJORAM: Pain-relieving, antiseptic, helps wounds to heal, used for chillblains, cuts, bruises.

• MYRRH: Antiseptic, astringent, reduces inflammation, improves circulation, stimulates the regeneration of of skin cells, assists in the healing of wounds. Used to treat eczema, wounds, wrinkles. Very good for mature complexions or chapped and cracked skin.

• PEPPERMINT: Anti-inflammatory , pain-relieving, antiseptic, astringent, relieves itching, used for acne, dermatitis. (For itching it should be used in very small concentration - less than 1 %) Stimulates circulation and can enliven dull, congested skin. Used in the treatment of broken capillaries.

• ROMAN CHAMOMILE: Reduces inflammation, promotes the forming of scar tissue, aids in the healing of wounds. Used for acne, boils, cuts, chillblains, dermatitis, eczema, rashes, burns and sunburn. Very good for dry skin, especially when it is inflamed and sensitive. Can reduce the redness of broken capillaries.

• ROSEMARY: Antiseptic, gently pain-relieving, assists in the healing of wounds and scars. Regulates oil secretions, stimulates circulation, encourages the elimination of cellular wastes, assists in the drainage of lymphatic fluid; improves dull-looking skin, used to treat acne, dermatitis, varicose veins, cellulitis. Stimulates the scalp, promotes hair growth, used for dandruff and seborrhea.

• TEA TREE: Antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, assists in the healing of wounds and scars. Used to treat acne, blisters, burns, sunburn, cold sores , rashes, warts, fungal infections and wounds. One of the few oils that can be used directly on the skin. Useful in oral hygiene, relieves gingivitis, mouth ulcers, periodontal disease and toothaches(gargle). Caution: Can be irritate skin .Do a patch test.

• THYME: antiseptic, astringent, assists in the healing of wounds and scars. Used to treat acne, bruises, burns, cuts, dermatitis, cellulitis, eczema, insect bites.

• YLANG YLANG: Antiseptic, soothing, helps to control the production of sebum, smooths the skin and stimulates new cell growth. Used to treat oily and irritated skin, acne, dandruff. eczema, wrinkles. Stimulates hair growth.

And, just to make things easier, here are the essential oils grouped by skintype or condition:

• DRY SKIN: Chamomile, Frankincense, Lavender, Palmarosa, Rosewood.

• OILY SKIN: Bergamot, Carrot seed, Cedarwood, Clary sage, Cypress, Fennel (sweet), Geranium, Grapefruit, Juniper, Lemon, Mandarin, Tea tree, Ylang-ylang.

• DULL AND/OR CONGESTED SKIN: Fennel, Geranium, Grapefruit, Mandarin, Peppermint, Rosemary, Rosewood.

• WRINKLES: Carrot seed, Clary sage, Fennel, Frankincense, Lavender, Mandarin, Myrrh, Palmarosa, Rosewood, Ylang-ylang.

• ACNE: Bergamot, Chamomile, Clary sage, Clove bud, Geranium, Grapefruit, Juniper, Lavender, Lemon, Lime,Mandarin, Palmarosa, Peppermint, Rosemary, Rosewood, Tea tree, Ylang-ylang.

• REDUCING INFLAMMATION: Chamomile, Clary sage, Fennel, Frankincense, Geranium, Myrrh, Peppermint, Orange, Tea tree .

• BROKEN CAPILLARIES: Chamomile, Cypress , Geranium, Lemon, Palmarosa, Peppermint Rosemary.

• CELLULITE: Cellulitis is composed of fat, cellular wastes and water, the oils used for this condition improve circulation, encourage the elimination of wastes and fluid. Basil, Clary sage, Fennel, Geranium, Ginger, Grapefruit, Juniper, Lemon, Rosemary.

GENERAL TIPS FOR CREATING ESSENTIAL OIL BLENDS:
Many blends for therapeutic effect contain only 3 to 4 essential oils. If you find that you want to use more oils make another blend. You may have two or three things going on within your body. Make a blend for those 2 or 3 things not one blend to cover all.

You know, I had previously thought that my beloved Ylang Ylang oil was the only one good for controlling sebum production, but there's a whole slew of essential oils that can help with the problem! So guess what I'll be experimenting with next? Trying to make a homemade super-duper version of the Decleor Aromessence Ylang Ylang, but with a few drops of all of the other oil controlling oils mixed in! *Rubs hands together in gleeful anticipation* And did you see the part about Clary Sage helping to discourage hair growth, while Rosemary helps promote it?? Mayhap I'll be trying to make my own 'shave minimizing' lotion or oil for my legs....And what about Ginger and it's ability to treat cellulite and vericose veins and Peppermint and Chamomile helps with broken capillaries??? Or how about all the stuff to help those with itchy, flaky scalps? Just add a few drops of the applicable essential oil into your bottle of shampoo and your scratching could well be a thing of the past....And for those poor souls with ezcema -- look at all the essential oils that can help!

Oooh, oooh, oooh -- I can hardly wait to put on my lab coat and get to work. So many possibilities, so little time! (Can you tell I'm excited???)

Anyway, I hope this helps my fellow DIYers...

Good luck and have fun!
Carrie

Important Note: Before you go - in your kitchen or "laboratory," please be sure to go read the info from the above links, as there are some cautions regarding the use of these essential oils and/or tips on how to mix them!!!
daygolove

Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
Since I live in the boonies, I had to go to local GNC and Maxx Nutritions to find essential oils, after visiting those two stores... I came out with:

cinnamon cassia
clary sage
clove
eucalyptus
jasmine
lavender
orange
peppermint
rosemary
and 2 ylang ylang oils.

I friend thought I was nuts. LoL.

I added ylang ylang, lemon, drop of peppermint, 3 drops of orange, 2 drops of jasmine to CareKate's Super Toner ACV.. and it smells HEAVEN!!!!!!!
System
Automatic Message
Sat Oct 12, 2024 1:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

EmerginC Crease Ease Emulsion (50 ml) Blinc The Rare Gem Palette (1.1 g x 12) Osmotics Cream Extreme Intensive Repair (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skinยฎ |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |