Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

best makeup hues for an olive complexion?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
annasan64

Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, I'm new here. What colors do your use for all those with dark hair and olive skin tones? You'd think at this age I would already have this sort of thing figured out. I thought so until I went to a cocktail party with co-workers and saw my reflection alongside a friend with a similar appearance. Her makeup just looked a lot more natural and I realized I have been in the habit of going for the over the top look rather than the enhance my natural coloring look. Plus, up until a year ago, I lived in a much sunnier climate where my skin color was a bit darker than what I was used to. Any ideas?
HappyStar
5% products discount

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:19 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I have olive skin with dark hair. My favourate foundation is Bare Essential mineral loose power Medium. I also apply Warmth loose powder on my chicks after foundation, which gives the skin a warm candle light glow. The colours match my skin tone very well. I've been using it for 5 years now Smile
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:19 am      Reply with quote
Olive Green Eye make-up always looks good on Olive skins Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:31 am      Reply with quote
I have olive toned skin with blonde hair, but these ideas might work. I use mostly MAC colors, so I can get you the exact color names if you want to give them a go.

I find that for more natural, everyday looks, I like browns, tans, taupes, and terra cottas.

For more dramatic, night-time looks, I like charcoals, greys and purples.

Blues and greens rarely look natural and I find that I have to apply them very carefully with intense blending so as not to look like a clown. The contrast with my skin tone is just too stark. If I use these colors, I seem to have better luck with navy shades or silvery shades of blue, and olive shades of green. Turquoise or royal blues and true "Kelly" greens are awful.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:50 am      Reply with quote
I prefer coppery browns, rosy browns, olive greens, pink browns for my olive complexion. They look natural yet enhance.

For cheeks, I generally go for a coral or peachy tone. Again, seems more natural than a pink/red tone on me. Especially during the summer.

I love Scott Barnes Diamond Dust for adding a bit of overall color to my whole face during summer.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:05 am      Reply with quote
I too have light live toned skin, dark golden brown hair (just dyed it darker and I love it!), green eyes with no brown in them, I guess they are blue green.

I stick with neutral shades for most of my make up because I like a natural but poished look. For eyeshadows, creams and muted browns. I love bronze/copper browns to line my eyes, it brings out the green. A nice neutral (not too much pink or coral) blush on my cheeks, just the apples. Like betterat40, in the summer I use a bit of coral blush, Nars Orgasm for example.

I have a hard time finding a bronzer that isn't peach/orange, I like to use one that has an olive tint to it. MAC Golden bronzer is good, it's a bit olive, more so than most, but it's quite dark so I use it sparingly. I've found Trucco After Glow bronzer to be the perfect shade for my olive skin but it also has glitter, not just shimmer, it's chunky glitter. If it didn't it would be my favourite bronzer. I only use a bit of bronzer to liven up my complexion, not to look tanned.

Like Land B blues and kelly greens are out. I have an olive eye lining pencil which I love but if I use olive eyeshadow I find it doesn't do anything for me.

Lately on my lips I've been using balm and a bit of liner that matches my lips perfectly, well blended so there isn't a definite line. They are pigmented so I don't need colour.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the bronzer rec. Lolli-I have the hardest time finding one that dosen't make me look dirty orange too.

I really don't know if I'm a true olive or just yellow-toned mediterranean. Someone posted once that olives have 'green' undertone & are cool colored. Well I'm def yellow & warm-toned. Any opinions-at almost 50, I'd really like to settle this olive-toned thing once and for all. Confused

All I know is I look good in bronze eyeshadow (true bronze no orange or red) and can wear olive as an eyeliner-no shadow. soft neutral peach with some oink (otherwise it's orange) as a blushs look good. Pink is garrish. Lips are no problem as long as the colors are warm-cool turns grey. The only eyeshadow color I can't wear is taupe or grey.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
You're welcome, marina. I forgot to mention Pure Luxe Sunkissed loose bronzer as well. It's neutral toned, not orange in the least and is more subtle (lighter) than MAC, more like the Trucco one without glitter.

I am yellow/green toned and consider myself warm/neutral no way am I cool. Whoever posted that olive is cool is mistaken, imo.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
Lolli wrote:
I am yellow/green toned and consider myself warm/neutral no way am I cool. Whoever posted that olive is cool is mistaken, imo.

I agree totally. For instance, if I wear a yellow shirt, it "disappears" on me... very unflattering. When I wear "jewel tones" like teal or burgundy, I look like the walking dead. I'm just not seeing "cool" anywhere with either the yellow-olive complexion (I described it as golden in my signature line) or the green-olive complexion.

The difference between yellow-olive and green-olive, in my experience, can be seen in the color of skin when tanned (not that any of us tan anymore because it's bad for us... Rolling Eyes ). Yellow-olives tan easily but it's a very golden shade. Green-olives tan even more easily and it's almost brown.

Either way, though, neither are "cool" IMO.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
I second the charcoals, greys and purples. My best friend is italian and has a beautiful olive complexion. I was bored and put blended a grey base for her eyeshadow and finished it with some plums and she looked AMAZING. Since then, she continues with the greys and purples...they make the green in her eyes pop right out.

Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Nighttime Nourishing Oil (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross Vitamin C Lactic 15% Vitamin C Firm & Bright Serum (30 ml / 1.0 floz) Obagi ELASTIderm Eye  Cream (15 g / 0.5 oz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |