Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

hygiene & makeup
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:07 pm      Reply with quote
Does it bother anyone else when people they know are lax about their skincare and makeup hygeine practices? sometimes I really just want to sit people down and lecture them!

I got a mini-vaseline pot from somewhere and thought it so cute so showed a co-worker, who promptly opened it up and stuck her finger in it. ????
This is the same very elegant, I'd say very classy, woman who apparently does her makeup at sephora's if she's near one downtown before events. I mean, all the tester makeup that's sitting out! she also has no qualms about asking me if she can borrow my lipgloss. Sad
I have another friend who promptly uses the moisturizers she finds out at makeup counters on her face and near her lips! Right next to her cold-sores by the way.

These are people who regularly go on about their "sensitive skin".

It reminds me of a woman who told me that her daughters often suffer from stomach issues and food poisoning. One day I saw her with a jar of mayonnaise - after spreading, she wiped off the knife over the side of the bottle (bad enough), but then further wiped it off with her finger, and scraped that back in over the side of the bottle! I think I nearly gagged and made an excuse to get out of eating whatever was offered.
This was a woman who was studying accupuncture!

I actually feel like discontinuing my friendship with these kinds of people, partially because I'm grossed out, but partially for my own safety!

I mean, I'll use a mascara well beyond its day, and certainly a lot of makeup, but at least I'm the only one using them.
ugh.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:05 am      Reply with quote
Oh yes. Watching people put lip stick on their lips straight from the tester makes me want to be sick.

I work at a spa that uses Jane Iredlae makeup. Jane has big signs that shows all the bacteria that will NOT grow on their makeup - e coli etc. It doesn't say anything about herpes or hep c or hiv. ick ick ick ick

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:09 am      Reply with quote
I agree it is gross but as long as they don't touch my stuff I don't care. I do think it was rude of your co-worker to use your vaseline. I would have given it to her after that.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks. I don't know why this strikes such a nerve with me. Sad

I do trust my immune system to do its job, but I also equate this kind of thing with proper manners. It doesn't matter if they're wearing Prada, to me they might as well be smearing a runny nose with bare hand! And speaking of, people who sneeze or cough without covering their mouths in enclosed public spaces.. well, I hope they step on a tack. Mad

Anyway, do you think what makeup artists do - spritzing or dipping makeup in alcohol, or whatever, is adequate? I know that most are very careful to not to double dip etc, but I wonder about others - and how much does disinfecting the surface help when you're rubbing into the product? Also wonder about their putting product on the back of their hands before applying or using fingers. Even if I'm comfortable with them I much prefer they use a pallette & brushes.

Please let me know if you think I'm carrying things too far. I feel like I'm on my way to being a crazy lady when I find these things upsetting.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
Thanks. I don't know why this strikes such a nerve with me. Sad

I do trust my immune system to do its job, but I also equate this kind of thing with proper manners. It doesn't matter if they're wearing Prada, to me they might as well be smearing a runny nose with bare hand! And speaking of, people who sneeze or cough without covering their mouths in enclosed public spaces.. well, I hope they step on a tack. Mad

Anyway, do you think what makeup artists do - spritzing or dipping makeup in alcohol, or whatever, is adequate? I know that most are very careful to not to double dip etc, but I wonder about others - and how much does disinfecting the surface help when you're rubbing into the product? Also wonder about their putting product on the back of their hands before applying or using fingers. Even if I'm comfortable with them I much prefer they use a pallette & brushes.

Please let me know if you think I'm carrying things too far. I feel like I'm on my way to being a crazy lady when I find these things upsetting.

When I used to do professional makeup I had several sets of brushes and disposable mascara brushes, never applied from the back of my hand we had little (very little) trays to dispense liquids into!

I would swipe disinfectant wipes over the eye shadows and blushes ect.

I am not a germaphobe, but respecting others need for sanitary practices goes with the territory at least it did when I was taught! Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
Not in any way to suggest certain practices are not gross, but viruses do not survive outside the body for any length of time because they are basically naked DNA. Bacteria cannot replicate on either dry powdery nor waxy anhydrous surfaces, many will dessicate but the sporeformers can go into a state of 'suspended animation'. Alcohol doesn't kill spore formers but is highly effective on everything else, and the residue evaporates off which is why it is very common in hospitals. Microbes need food and water to grow so cosmetics containing water are higher risk, as are infections of the eye. Proteins or oils transferred off the skin onto make up brushes (or mascara or lip gloss wand) would serve well as food. Part of the reason make up artists use their hand and not a palette is body heat.

HTH. Confused

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
I have had clients in the past with lovely things like ringworm, I would be mortified to show that to a makeup artist!

We had sterilizer much more potent than just Alcohol, required by law in all states I have lived in, in the US.

We warmed the bottles or tubes in our hands prior to dispensing, I suppose practices depend on where you live?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, that does help and I feel a bit better. I think I'll just ask if they would use my hand instead!
I didn't realize they might have a sterilizer back there. What kinds of environments did you work in Dark Moon?

I guess not fixating on the subject would go a long way, hey? Laughing

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
Thanks, that does help and I feel a bit better. I think I'll just ask if they would use my hand instead!

I guess not fixating on the subject would go a long way, hey? Laughing

The funny thing is I have done many other's make up, but only a few professional friends have ever done mine using my own products and brushes!

If you watch a client before your appointment and see unsanitary practices my thoughts is walk! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
Very sorry, I'm the queen of edits.. sometimes I edit until the system cuts me off!

I imagine now that you worked in reputable beauty shops, or on shoots. I've only really had mine done at stores like sephora or department store counters. Once in a while at a salon after a facial but even then I've been a bit paranoid.

talihahendrick
5% products discount

Sun Oct 13, 2024 11:30 am      Reply with quote
I totally get where you’re coming from! It’s hard not to cringe when people are lax about their skincare and makeup hygiene, especially when they talk about having sensitive skin. I actually received a Maelys email recently about good hygiene practices, which made me think of situations like these. Sharing makeup, especially lip products, can spread bacteria, and don’t even get me started on testers at stores! I would definitely be cautious around people who don't practice good hygiene—it’s not just gross, but could also lead to some real health issues. And that mayonnaise situation? Yikes!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Oct 25, 2024 5:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Osea Essential Corrective Complex (10 ml / 0.34 floz) Swiss Line Cell Shock White Brightening Diamond Serum (2 x 20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |